HiBy R8 User Impressions
May 28, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #2,971 of 3,161
I’ve been monitoring my own unit in this regard and I think I get about the same amount of drain over 24 hrs when the unit is off; however, the unit recharges just as quickly as ever (3 hours not during playback) and doesn’t discharge any faster than ever WHEN PLAYING. When I get to minimum power level (20% charge remaining) during playback I can plug in USB and recharge while playback continues. The unit charges faster than it discharges during play. This is even when Turbo is on. Discharge during playback from max charge (92%) to max discharge (20%) takes about 5 hours woth Turbo on. I’m in the US so have reliable power and 120 V always 24/7 to recharge. I am happy with all of that and wouldn’t think about sending the unit for repair to china.
Tell me please. To what level do you charge the battery? If up to 100%, does your R8 turn off the charge automatically? Does it harm the battery if the charge is 100% for a long time, the charging process continues, the indicator flashes red?

May 28, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #2,972 of 3,161
Tell me please. To what level do you charge the battery? If up to 100%, does your R8 turn off the charge automatically? Does it harm the battery if the charge is 100% for a long time, the charging process continues, the indicator flashes red?

Lithium battelies do not like when they are charged over 80%. Charging them over 80% shortens their life. Discharge them below 20% does harm as well. I try to keep it in between. My R8 does charge to 100% when put on charger in turned off state. Therefore it goes to charger when it is turned on. I never turn it off anyway. It only happens when I leave it by chance as transport connected to external DAC on USB. In that case it is not let turn to standby automatically, so it can run the battery to 0%.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #2,973 of 3,161
From Day 1 on tbe unit I have only charged the battery to a maximum of 80% and discharged to a minimum of 20% to preserve battery life. I cannot provide a technical description of how charging to 100% and discharging to 0% harms the battery but I understand it is so. From all I have read of your posts, it seems that your battery needs to be replaced, but the unit may have other faults that Hiby could fix.

To limit charging, make sure the unit is NOT switched fully off during charging, under settings idle shutdown =off, max battery is set to 80%, battery saver turns on at 20%, USB configuration = no data transfer and sleep = never. In this configuration the unit will stop charging the battery at 80% even if USB is still connected, and will go into battery saving mode at 20% charge remaining (and give you a warning when it does so, so you can connect to USB). Note as soon as the battery charging shuts off at 80%, battery discharging will proceed slowly if the unit is turned off or in standby mode (faster in standby).

The light (same light that displays sampling rate) flashes quickly (1 cycle per ~5 sec) with QC 3.0 charger and more slowly with a standard charger. If the light is flashing red much more quickly this may indicate a fault. @JoeBloggs can comment.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #2,974 of 3,161
On the subject of charging the battery and the flashing light, my R8 does flash red when charging. It goes on a standard charge and so the red light flashes more slowly. I don’t recall seeing the light being anything other than red when charging, and that’s ever since I bought it.

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #2,975 of 3,161
On the subject of charging the battery and the flashing light, my R8 does flash red when charging. It goes on a standard charge and so the red light flashes more slowly. I don’t recall seeing the light being anything other than red when charging, and that’s ever since I bought it.
Thank you for the clarification. You are correct. I edited my previous post.
Text from the manual, renumbered for better readability:

RGB LED

The LED on the R8 power button doubles as an indicator light for the audio format being sent to the DAC:

1. Not playing - pale blue
2. PCM:
48kHz and under - blue
64-192kHz - green
>192kHz - orange
3. All DSD: - white
4. Charging: - red (pulsating one cycle in 5s in quick charging, one cycle in 10s in slow charging)

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #2,976 of 3,161

RGB LED

The LED on the R8 power button doubles as an indicator light for the audio format being sent to the DAC:

2. PCM:
48kHz and under - blue
64-192kHz - green
>192kHz - orange
4. Charging: - red (pulsating one cycle in 5s in quick charging, one cycle in 10s in slow charging)
I have flashes more often between each time, faster than after 5 seconds

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #2,977 of 3,161

RGB LED

2. PCM:
48kHz and under - blue
64-192kHz - green
>192kHz - orange
Thanks. I’d not seen that manual extract before, but it’s good to know what the different colours mean.

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #2,978 of 3,161
So I've have the R8 since Sept of 2021, though only had a chance to use it recently.

I've updated all the firmware and I'm now playing it to make sure I burn it in as needed. It's such a beast! Between dual clock oscillators and all the Hi-FI components this is sure to turn into on of my favorite devices.

I think the time is coming where it will be my main rig.

So happy!

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #2,979 of 3,161
So I've have the R8 since Sept of 2021, though only had a chance to use it recently.

I've updated all the firmware and I'm now playing it to make sure I burn it in as needed. It's such a beast! Between dual clock oscillators and all the Hi-FI components this is sure to turn into on of my favorite devices.

I think the time is coming where it will be my main rig.

So happy!
Welcome to the club! How did you not get a chance to use it till now? Totally agree- this is my only DAP - especially wonderful Turbo mode that boosts power and bass impact. Lots of DAPs coming out these days even from Hiby- IMHO I have no reason even to look at them.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #2,980 of 3,161
Welcome to the club! How did you not get a chance to use it till now? Totally agree- this is my only DAP - especially wonderful Turbo mode that boosts power and bass impact. Lots of DAPs coming out these days even from Hiby- IMHO I have no reason even to look at them.

I was just only focused on my desktop rig.

Can any R8 owners advise on the burning in time? My guess is that all of these high quality parts require that they really be used for most wonderful sound.

Thank you.

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #2,981 of 3,161
I was just only focused on my desktop rig.

Can any R8 owners advise on the burning in time? My guess is that all of these high quality parts require that they really be used for most wonderful sound.

Thank you.
I put mine on to burn for 100 hours. I tend to use that figure for all new gear.

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #2,983 of 3,161
I put mine on to burn for 100 hours. I tend to use that figure for all new gear.
+1- to preserve future battery life while burning in I recommend to recharge R8 at 20% remaining charge and stop charging at 80-90%. You could burn in while keeping USB charge plugged in (I did this without apparent ill effect but battery life has been an issue some have struggled with so it may be best to burn in while cycling the battery.

Jun 13, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #2,984 of 3,161
+1- to preserve future battery life while burning in I recommend to recharge R8 at 20% remaining charge and stop charging at 80-90%. You could burn in while keeping USB charge plugged in (I did this without apparent ill effect but battery life has been an issue some have struggled with so it may be best to burn in while cycling the battery.
I’ve got mine set up for 90% max and 10% min at the moment. I might change the min to 20%, although I never tend to go below 20% in any case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back