HiBy R8 User Impressions
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,356 of 3,161
Yep tried that when I had a tiny window of time the device is functioning. It seems I am able to narrow down the issue to be wifi related. It goes away if I can turn the wifi off.

Got a call from the shop this morning where they have confirmation that the manufacturer will be sending out a new replacement unit. Until then, I will be using the R8 to playback local files and offline Tidal.
Interesting i need to check if my ones only happen on wifi too. I do switch between onboard and streaming so might aswell be something related.

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,357 of 3,161
Here's another issue I encountered today with my unit's volume knob. A turn to 1 notch caused the volume to spike up to 100. Luckily when this happens, I am in the process of lowering the volume prior to plugging my headphones in before it spikes up to 100. Guess I really got a bad lemon here.

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #2,358 of 3,161
Here's another issue I encountered today with my unit's volume knob. A turn to 1 notch caused the volume to spike up to 100. Luckily when this happens, I am in the process of lowering the volume prior to plugging my headphones in before it spikes up to 100. Guess I really got a bad lemon here.
Yikes, must be! The only time volume jumps up or down like that is if I accidentally flick the screen. Once the volume display is active on the screen even the slightest swipe will maximise or minimise volume. If you have IEMs plugged in when that happens, bye bye eardrums. Hence why I've set volume limit to 50.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,359 of 3,161
Visiting Cayin N6ii owner here, so to speak an older and smaller brother to your R8. And quite an active thread here.

I have been reading quite a number of complaints about the Qobuz Android App here on this thread. Yes, its performance is ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL on Android DAPs, not only on older ones like my N6ii, but still on your R8 with much better CPU and newer Android OS. One of the biggest performance issues becomes obvious when you have larger offlined contents and also when your streaming cache fills up. This is due to the underlying concept of Qobuz: For reasons of piracy protection, they store all offlined and cached tracks in chunks of 2 MB size each, resulting in an awfully huge number of tiny files (easily in the several 10,000s to 100,000s!), in most set-ups residing on the SD card. This brute-force chunk-file piracy protection really is an unwise choice, resulting in a huge performance hog. Side remark: Tidal stores its offline contents as one file per one track - perfect, no issues in that respect; and of course they do piracy protection, too (most probably encryption only).

Of course, many of us will have done what I did, e-mail the support@qobuz.com. The standard answer seems to be "we have forwarded your request to our software engineers, they will follow up on it" - then nothing more.

I did recently learn that there is an "Official Qobuz Issues Thread" at Audiophile Style:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/
I heard that Qobuz staff is following that thread.

I posted a big complaint over there:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1110738
My complaint got enhanced by another user:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1110812

My suggestion to all of you unhappy Qobuz Android App users - amongst them @Pro-Jules, @KevP, maybe also @Luke Skywalker, @DarginMahkum (just picking names from the Search function!) - is: Please do complain on Audiophile Style! The larger in number we are and the louder we speak up in public, the more likely it might become that we get Qobuz to listen and act. Maybe ... let's hope for the best or at least some improvement ...

I gave Up! I use a Sony 507 DAP. Qobuz works on that perfectly

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #2,360 of 3,161
I gave Up! I use a Sony 507 DAP. Qobuz works on that perfectly
Thanks for your comment. Yours is a Sony NW-ZX507? Interesting statement wrt Qobuz, since I see the NW-ZX507 to be Android 9, and to also take an SD card. Do you do the same things on it as you reported here previously? Same offlining of lots of albums, like 100 albums in a mix of CD and all sorts of HiRes?

Maybe I am mistaken in finding out what your DAP is now. But if the above were true, then indeed it would be very interesting why Qobuz works perfectly on your Sony, and why it is dreadful on HiBy R8, Cayin N6ii and probably other Android DAPs.

Thanks for some further insight from your side. Indeed, cancelling my Qobuz subscription is an option, but it would deprive me of quite a lot.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #2,361 of 3,161
Thanks for your comment. Yours is a Sony NW-ZX507? Interesting statement wrt Qobuz, since I see the NW-ZX507 to be Android 9, and to also take an SD card. Do you do the same things on it as you reported here previously? Same offlining of lots of albums, like 100 albums in a mix of CD and all sorts of HiRes?

Maybe I am mistaken in finding out what your DAP is now. But if the above were true, then indeed it would be very interesting why Qobuz works perfectly on your Sony, and why it is dreadful on HiBy R8, Cayin N6ii and probably other Android DAPs.

Thanks for some further insight from your side. Indeed, cancelling my Qobuz subscription is an option, but it would deprive me of quite a lot.
I own the ZX507 and it has a very mature software implementation. Also Sony usually does monthly updates. Don't know about Qobuz since it isn't available in my country but Tidal is flawless.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #2,363 of 3,161
Just finished installing a set of screen protector I got from Amazon JP on the replacement unit. It was specifically made for the R8. According to them, the film has a surface hardness of 9H similar to tempered glass. And regarding the replacement unit I got yesterday, the buttons and volume control are a lot more tactile compared to the defective unit. Also it seems to run way cooler. The max battery feature works as it should on the replacement unit.

File_000.jpeg

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #2,364 of 3,161
Nice. Glad to hear the new unit seems to be sorted!

If you get a chance could you check (eg. with an app) what the temps typically run at after some time of use?

I find my battery runs around 45 or about 50 with turbo on. CPU and SOC are around 37-38 or about 42-43 with turbo.

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,365 of 3,161
Nice. Glad to hear the new unit seems to be sorted!

If you get a chance could you check (eg. with an app) what the temps typically run at after some time of use?

I find my battery runs around 45 or about 50 with turbo on. CPU and SOC are around 37-38 or about 42-43 with turbo.

My temp readings are similar to yours on this new unit. Low gain turbo mode driving IER-Z1R at volume 26.

CPU usage is still 100% all the time though. Not sure if that is really the case or some reporting issues.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #2,368 of 3,161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back