HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #436 of 508
No, haven't used LO yet with R8 II tbh...

but then maybe I'm just dum, as I didn't have anything plugged into the phone outs either. Once I plugged in an IEM, the buttons worked again. 🤦‍♂️

Thing is, I don't ever recall seeing that message on this DAP nor my RS6, so it was a little confusing. That or it's just a really slow Sunday morning.
Ah yes that would do it. That message is usually limited to line out. I've never tried changing vol with nothing plugged in - it wouldn't make a difference anyway as volume resets to the last set level when you plug something in.

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #438 of 508
No, haven't used LO yet with R8 II tbh...

but then maybe I'm just dum, as I didn't have anything plugged into the phone outs either. Once I plugged in an IEM, the buttons worked again. 🤦‍♂️

Thing is, I don't ever recall seeing that message on this DAP nor my RS6, so it was a little confusing. That or it's just a really slow Sunday morning.

Not to worry. That's part of the new firmware actually. Those lock volumes on the R8II, R6 Pro II and R6III when nothing is plugged in. It's meant to ensure that your HiBy functions properly as a transport.

Don't be alarmed though, it'll only output at max volume when outputting USB or SPDIF. Volume control will become active again once you insert a 3.5mm or 4.4mm plug into any LO or PO.

If the notice still alarms you though, you can scroll right to the bottom of your audio settings, and toggle off the two digital volume locks!

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #440 of 508
The new firmware seems to reduce the digital edge that I felt on my initial listening. I feel right at home with turbo, class and Darwin Ultra FIR filter.

Mar 3, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #441 of 508
Last impression on HIBY R8 II

As I've testing this device for few days since it was opened, I really still amazed on how this DAP performs pretty well that its own PWM-based delta-sigma DACs (apologies for my erroneous information that this set is a R2R-based DAC in my first impression post). This DAP is quite indeed a heft and chunky to hold but I was able to hold for one and a half hour during my continuous briskwalking session.

While this set leaning towards of a warmish-neutral tuning that really gives a more natural tone and timbre on all vocal types and instruments with a good amount of detail and dynamics that we love to hear. Its technical performance is quite impressive as its moniker "Mobile Concert Hall" truly define its character that this device will project it clearly as you are in a moderate-size concert or orchestral hall as I did some visit on some popular venue concert hall that I can estimate its perceive width, height and depth.

Will post a full review on this one in few days, I'm already at the half part on typing down some observation as for I post this last impression about this blissful device. Have a nice day, mates!

Note: there's a firmware update on this one, so I've updated it last night.

20240303_123918.jpg
20240303_123926.jpg
20240303_123936.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #443 of 508
Hello folks maybe in the next 2 weeks i will have my R8II review ready , i have been listened to R8Ii that has been sent to me by Hiby has a loan to review prupose since friday , first thank you Hiby for your kindness and trust , second some people ask in this thread about the R8II vs SP3000, i will not make a comparison with sp3000 in my review because i don t think is in the same league ,price wise and soundwise, saying this dont mean that R8II is bad , no way ,is a very complete and capable DAP

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #445 of 508
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #448 of 508
I actually would be very interested in a sp3k vs r8ii comparison. Helps decide whether to spend extra!

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #449 of 508
I actually would be very interested in a sp3k vs r8ii comparison. Helps decide whether to spend extra!
Versus the A&K SP3000, the R8 II is less engaging and less dynamic. A&K flagships are always good when it comes to dynamism, so considering the price difference and usual A&K sound, this isn’t big news. The sound stage of the R8 II isn’t as expansive either, but as I mentioned above, its sole resolution and transparency are not behind at all. So with this price tag, HiBy deserves some praise for making a very competitive DAP indeed.

https://www.headfonia.com/hiby-r8-ii-review/3/

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #450 of 508
Versus the A&K SP3000, the R8 II is less engaging and less dynamic. A&K flagships are always good when it comes to dynamism, so considering the price difference and usual A&K sound, this isn’t big news. The sound stage of the R8 II isn’t as expansive either, but as I mentioned above, its sole resolution and transparency are not behind at all. So with this price tag, HiBy deserves some praise for making a very competitive DAP indeed.

https://www.headfonia.com/hiby-r8-ii-review/3/
100% agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back