HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Mar 1, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #422 of 624
Mar 1, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #423 of 624
Sorry I mean stand...😅 the one on which the R8II is on your pictures
Oh its just a cheap Phone stand I've purchase online, €1.65 for 2.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #424 of 624
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #425 of 624
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #426 of 624
Mar 1, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #427 of 624
First initial impressions on HIBY R8 II

TOTL DAPs are truly awesome devices that will surely satisfy the ears of some audio enthusiasts who continue to pursue high fidelity audio. And now, by the grace of Gods of Audiophilia, I'll present the latest Flagship DAP from HiBy, The HiBy R8II.

I'm not quite a stranger on TOTL flagship DAPs as I actually did tested some of the best TOTL DAPs in the market from an old Sony WM1Z, A&Ks SP1000, Kann Cube and Kann Max and my favourite flagship DAP out there, Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

HIBY R8II is a DAP which is quite uncommon when it compares to most flagship DAPs out there when it comes to internal components as this DAP didn't use a typical Delta-sigma **DACs like ESS, AKM and Cirrus Logic, instead it uses its proprietary DARWIN R2R DSP architecture in which HIBY claims it offers more dynamic performance and better fidelity due to better voltage modulation on its high performance resistors arrayed with a dozen fast responsive switches to deliver more organic, expressive, tonal accuracy and transparent sound.

On the physical aspect, the R8II is quite a chunky device but there are some good reasons regarding this matter as HIBY put a 12000mAh Li-Po in which increases the power longevity of this one so that we can use it for a whole day. Another reason why this device is quite humongous is due its some components that were implemented like copper battery case that was encased to the battery for heat dissipation, the R2R DAC on its board circuitry, headphone amplifiers and audio capacitors. At the left side panel, there's a volume rocker while at the right part there is a play/pause and previous/next buttons along with LED indicator and micro-SD slot. At the bottom part, there are the audio port interfaces which have four headphone jacks, two 3.5mm and two 4.4mm balanced for PO and LO modes. And also, it has a Type-C port for charging and file transfer. At the back part, there is an Alcantra wrap which exudes premium and luxury due to its velvety and suede-like texture. Alcantara fabrics are usually implemented on interior parts of a car, mostly luxury ones. The overall metal chassis of R8II is made of surgical steel which makes this device more durable and has a resistance against corrosion. It has 5.9 inches 1080p HD LCD screen that is also protected by Gorilla Glass.

This device has a heavily modified Android 12 OS that is tailored specifically for HiBy specification on other audio improvements just like the R6 Pro II. On its internals, aside from R2R DACs, battery and other supporting audio components, it also has a snapdragon midrange processor, an 8GB RAM and 256 GB of internal storage.

Darwin has a customisable low pass filter setting in which makes it more appealing and I'm actually setting it on NOS mode with turbo on mode as it gives a more dynamic range

As for tonality, to my surprise, as I expected a more warmer, analogue-ish sound as I am quite familiar with some vintage preamps and amplifiers with R2R architecture. Instead, it has a warmish-neutral sound while maintaining a natural tone with a good transparency. Bass response seems to be more precise and punchy while a tad warmer, more articulate and pretty resolving midrange with some balanced texture on vocals and instruments to sound more natural and then a lucid treble response with sufficient sparkle and capable of projecting more airy extension. On technical performances, this device can give a quite roomy sound/speaker stage in a natural yet atmospheric stereo imaging in which I was able to pan out an exact position of instruments and singers.

I'm using the LETSHOUER EJ09 as a testing unit for this device.

Check out my full review about this device that I will publish in a few days.

Note** - I was corrected on this one by @o0genesis0o as it also uses a Delta-Sigma DAC but in a discete components architecture.

Nice writeup, but you'd better rephrase several sentences as the R8ii does not use any R2R dac at all. It is purely delta-sigma. You can also not use the expression "Darwin R2R DSP architecture" any more. I think now the Darwin architecture is more reflecting the DSP part , which had a connected R2R DAC in RS6 and RS8, but here the DAC part is not R2R. Maybe that is where the confusion is coming from.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #428 of 624
Nice writeup, but you'd better rephrase several sentences as the R8ii does not use any R2R dac at all. It is purely delta-sigma. You can also not use the expression "Darwin R2R DSP architecture" any more. I think now the Darwin architecture is more reflecting the DSP part , which had a connected R2R DAC in RS6 and RS8, but here the DAC part is not R2R. Maybe that is where the confusion is coming from.
Thanks, I already put a legend that my statement about the R2R DAC is wrong. Thanks for insights that you have shared, more informations to learn upon this tech.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #429 of 624
R8 II has a discrete PWM-based Delta Sigma DAC inside, with the Darwin MPA architecture. This is very different to the discrete R-2R DAC and Darwin II architecture inside the RS8, although the fundamentals of how Darwin works are the same. So no, R8 II is correct as it continues the R8's Delta Sigma lineage.
Thanks for this info.

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #430 of 624
First initial impressions on HIBY R8 II

TOTL DAPs are truly awesome devices that will surely satisfy the ears of some audio enthusiasts who continue to pursue high fidelity audio. And now, by the grace of Gods of Audiophilia, I'll present the latest Flagship DAP from HiBy, The HiBy R8II.

I'm not quite a stranger on TOTL flagship DAPs as I actually did tested some of the best TOTL DAPs in the market from an old Sony WM1Z, A&Ks SP1000, Kann Cube and Kann Max and my favourite flagship DAP out there, Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

HIBY R8II is a DAP which is quite uncommon when it compares to most flagship DAPs out there when it comes to internal components as this DAP didn't use a typical Delta-sigma **DACs like ESS, AKM and Cirrus Logic, instead it uses its proprietary DARWIN R2R DSP architecture in which HIBY claims it offers more dynamic performance and better fidelity due to better voltage modulation on its high performance resistors arrayed with a dozen fast responsive switches to deliver more organic, expressive, tonal accuracy and transparent sound.

On the physical aspect, the R8II is quite a chunky device but there are some good reasons regarding this matter as HIBY put a 12000mAh Li-Po in which increases the power longevity of this one so that we can use it for a whole day. Another reason why this device is quite humongous is due its some components that were implemented like copper battery case that was encased to the battery for heat dissipation, the R2R DAC on its board circuitry, headphone amplifiers and audio capacitors. At the left side panel, there's a volume rocker while at the right part there is a play/pause and previous/next buttons along with LED indicator and micro-SD slot. At the bottom part, there are the audio port interfaces which have four headphone jacks, two 3.5mm and two 4.4mm balanced for PO and LO modes. And also, it has a Type-C port for charging and file transfer. At the back part, there is an Alcantra wrap which exudes premium and luxury due to its velvety and suede-like texture. Alcantara fabrics are usually implemented on interior parts of a car, mostly luxury ones. The overall metal chassis of R8II is made of surgical steel which makes this device more durable and has a resistance against corrosion. It has 5.9 inches 1080p HD LCD screen that is also protected by Gorilla Glass.

This device has a heavily modified Android 12 OS that is tailored specifically for HiBy specification on other audio improvements just like the R6 Pro II. On its internals, aside from R2R DACs, battery and other supporting audio components, it also has a snapdragon midrange processor, an 8GB RAM and 256 GB of internal storage.

Darwin has a customisable low pass filter setting in which makes it more appealing and I'm actually setting it on NOS mode with turbo on mode as it gives a more dynamic range

As for tonality, to my surprise, as I expected a more warmer, analogue-ish sound as I am quite familiar with some vintage preamps and amplifiers with R2R architecture. Instead, it has a warmish-neutral sound while maintaining a natural tone with a good transparency. Bass response seems to be more precise and punchy while a tad warmer, more articulate and pretty resolving midrange with some balanced texture on vocals and instruments to sound more natural and then a lucid treble response with sufficient sparkle and capable of projecting more airy extension. On technical performances, this device can give a quite roomy sound/speaker stage in a natural yet atmospheric stereo imaging in which I was able to pan out an exact position of instruments and singers.

I'm using the LETSHOUER EJ09 as a testing unit for this device.

Check out my full review about this device that I will publish in a few days.

Note** - I was corrected on this one by @o0genesis0o as it also uses a Delta-Sigma DAC but in a discete components architecture.

Hi

I just received my package of the R8ii is normal to get a box with no plastic and the seal on the box cut out ? Like is it considered new at this point ? 🙁

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #431 of 624
Hi

I just received my package from MusicTeck of the R8ii is normal to get a box with no plastic and the seal on the box cut out ? Like is it considered new at this point ? 🙁
Mine has a plastic sealed on it.

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #432 of 624
Hi

I just received my package from MusicTeck of the R8ii is normal to get a box with no plastic and the seal on the box cut out ? Like is it considered new at this point ? 🙁
No it's not normal if the Dap is new

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #433 of 624
Updated the latest firmware on R8 ii this morning, but now I cannot change volume. If I press the volume buttons, I get a message "Digital volume is locked", with the volume fixed at 55, which is the Max Volume I've set in Audio Settings...

Is there any way to unlock the side volume buttons, or do I have to go into Audio Settings to adjust volume instead?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #434 of 624
Updated the latest firmware on R8 ii this morning, but now I cannot change volume. If I press the volume buttons, I get a message "Digital volume is locked", with the volume fixed at 55.

Is there a setting for this somewhere now?
Are you plugged into line out? Volume lock only locks the line out volume (makes it 100% as it should be). Unlocked it becomes variable line out. It should have no effect at all on headphone out.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #435 of 624
Are you plugged into line out? Volume lock only locks the line out volume (makes it 100% as it should be). Unlocked it becomes variable line out. It should have no effect at all on headphone out.
No, haven't used LO yet with R8 II tbh...

but then maybe I'm just dum, as I didn't have anything plugged into the phone outs either. Once I plugged in an IEM, the buttons worked again. 🤦‍♂️

Thing is, I don't ever recall seeing that message on this DAP nor my RS6, so it was a little confusing. That or it's just a really slow Sunday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back