HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #878 of 1,092
It's a great player and i love It.
Love the size of the Sony NW series player, but the class A and sound of the Hiby seems better.

Real annoyance is the Android version. Unfortunately there won't be any Android upgrades.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #879 of 1,092
It's a great player and i love It.
Love the size of the Sony NW series player, but the class A and sound of the Hiby seems better.

Real annoyance is the Android version. Unfortunately there won't be any updates that she of things
I do agree. It really does suck to see us stuck on a8.1 after I remember reading a9 as a thing for it until it actually came out

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #880 of 1,092
Took an Xray of the Hiby R5II unit. I've been enjoying the Class A sound and this unit is always in rotation with my other 2 daps.
Hiby R5.jpg

HIby R5II.jpg

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #881 of 1,092
Hello, I currently have the Hiby R3 Pro Saber 2022 edition and I'm experiencing a lot of lag with my 15,000 track library. I would like to know how the Hiby R5 gen 2 performs with larger music collections? I currently converting my cd to 16 bit flac so my music collection is only going to frow so I want to know how this device performs. I don't play to use streaming apps and I only play to use the device offline. How is the performance of the device with Hiby application or with UAAP or Poweramp? Any feedback on your experience with Hiby R5 is greatly appreciated or if you have suggestions to improving the speed of the Hiby R3.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #882 of 1,092
Same, my ears can't discern any real difference in sound between ESS internal DAC AMP or the separate class A AMP. That's a plus for me so I can get the long battery life!
Maybe it comes into its own with headphones (appreciate your comments on HD600's but balanced has much more power available). I'd say I detected a tiny bit more warmth/smoothness but nothing really.

I also had some weird pause in music on first use and the wifi drop issue but both seem to have gone away after restarts (512GB mSD). If you are chasing ultimate sound quality then look elsewhere but for a better than phone SQ/power DAP with Android and long battery life this is it.

I've sent the EU capped Sony 1ZM2 back now but I'm still checking daily for new Amazon Japan 1AM2 stock ! :relaxed: (but then your talking x4 or x10 times more expensive).
May I ask if you still have the Hiby R5 gen 2 or did you return/sell it? If so, could you explain why? I seen your name a couple of times on the Sony Nw-A306 so I would really value your info. I plan to use Moondrop Starfield iem and the Sennheiser HD58x with my next dap. Currently have a Hiby R3 Pro Saber 2022 but I've experience my performance issues and I'm starting to get frustrated with the device.

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #883 of 1,092
May I ask if you still have the Hiby R5 gen 2 or did you return/sell it? If so, could you explain why? I seen your name a couple of times on the Sony Nw-A306 so I would really value your info. I plan to use Moondrop Starfield iem and the Sennheiser HD58x with my next dap. Currently have a Hiby R3 Pro Saber 2022 but I've experience my performance issues and I'm starting to get frustrated with the device.
I change DAP's a fair bit! I like Sony sound and tiny form/weight of A300 series.

The R5GII is only let down by having Android 8.1.

I'd be looking at the Hiby R6GIII now with Android 12 if I were you over the slightly cheaper R5GII.

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #884 of 1,092
Thanks for the recommendation. I have seen the recent Huby R6 gen iii. The onky think I dislike the device is the battery life compared to the Hiby R5 gen 2. As the R5ii has a 35 hours of battery life on economy mode but Android is pretty old now. Thanks for you advice again!

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #885 of 1,092
Thanks for the recommendation. I have seen the recent Huby R6 gen iii. The onky think I dislike the device is the battery life compared to the Hiby R5 gen 2. As the R5ii has a 35 hours of battery life on economy mode but Android is pretty old now. Thanks for you advice again!
Yes, I only used in ECO mode for the long battery life*. Just Android 8.1 its way old now and if into streaming apps could be a limiting factor in near future, unlike DAP's with 10,11,12.

It did play all streaming apps I tried perfectly though.

*And didn't notice a massive difference ECO vs class A with my easy drive IEM's

I imported from Hiby on launch with the discount then sold it (for same price!) when I got a Sony WM1AM2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back