HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
May 27, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #526 of 1,092
Also @cleg and @kfotheringham the Dark Matter are my best iems right now, would you care to comment further on the pairing?

Sorry, I rarely visit Head-Fi now, so I missed your question. In short, Dark Matter sounds nice with R5 Gen 2, even in economy mode. But they have a potential for scaling even higher with more high-end source

May 27, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #527 of 1,092
Anyone know of maybe a glass screen protector that would fit this guy? Hoping to find something that’s a little less of a fingerprint magnet

May 27, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #529 of 1,092
It was reviewed to come with screen protectors, installed front & back, plus extras(?)
Yes it comes with the cheapie film screen protectors that are fingerprint magnets. I’m wanting to get one that has that special coating stuff on it to combat that issue

May 28, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #534 of 1,092
So, been trying these two combinations against each other for last couple week and for pure sound quality the Kadas Tea/iPhone 13mini combination wins it comparing via 3.5mm.

20220528_201522.jpg

Usabilty and battery life to the Hiby.

The Khadas Tea isn't ideal for my SE846's as some backgroud hiss while as good as none with the Hiby. Perfect with my K10U and FD7 (in photo).

If you have a iPhone with MagSafe its worth considering.

PS, thats the Fiio cable not the white one that comes with the Khadas Tea.

My BTR5 wired to iPhone sounds fab too.

Amazon Music HD upscales in app to 192 on both Android and IOS platforms.

I still think Tidal MQA tracks sound best of the streaming apps, both do MQA unfold.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #535 of 1,092
I''ve found for other DAP's that AIexpress has nice rubbery cases that cost like $10-15, and protect well, while having appropriate holes for buttons and the like.

I've been looking but haven't been able to find any kind of plastic/silicone/rubbery case for the R5 Gen 2 yet. Hoping somebody makes one soon.

May 29, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #536 of 1,092
How does this perform in DAC mode? I have gen 1 R5 and it's constantly has micro stutter when used as a DAC. Have they fixed this on this version? That alone would make me possibly upgrade to this version.

May 30, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #539 of 1,092
I am testing the R5 in DAC-in mode as part of a review. Using the Apple CCK I am able to use the R5 Gen 2 as a DAC for the iphone (when its powered). However, using the HiBy app on the iphone, I am having trouble with DSD input into the R5. Well, it is possible that the unit is displaying the wrong bit information but it playing properly.

What is going on is I am playing a SACD ISO file through the HiBy app on the iphone. It shows as DSD on the phone display. But with the R5 set to DAC-in USB mode, the R5 displays the incoming signal as 88 khz. When nothing is playing the R5 shows 0 khz. Mind you, it sounds good. Just wondering what may be going on.

I also tried toggling the DoP setting but it made no difference. Turning on fixed rate sampling was a bad idea; it limited the signal to 44 khz.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back