HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
May 25, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #511 of 1,077
Nice review. Glad I'm not a real audiophile as eco-mode sounds fine to me with the benefit of 30hr battery life. Yes, the A amp sounds better even with my easy drive IEM's but not a must use feature for me. I do tend to like Sabre DAC's.
Thanks, and yes, all of my observations are based on my own music library, IEMs and preferences. I probably should have included my music test tracks, but in the end I decided to keep my IEMs out of the review and give a more high level view of what I think the R52 has to offer in general.

The 'criticisms' I noted were written after many, many hours of A/B comparisons with other DAPs. On its own and before comparing, I found the R52, even in eco mode, a very pleasant listen. Paired with my cheapie BLONs, I can happily listen all day without any complaints. I guess it's the same way you heard it...but no contest once you heard the WM1ZM2 side by side (at almost 10x the price!).

I really like how HiBy is testing out new tech with the midrange DAPs, so hopefully the Class A stuff will filter up to future flagships. An R2R DAP with Class A will be yummy indeed! 😁

May 25, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #514 of 1,077
How is the streaming performance? Especially Spotify?
Don’t use Spotify but Apple Music works perfect. Not as snappy as on a flagship android or iPhone device but that’s to be expected

May 25, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #517 of 1,077
Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #518 of 1,077
First on Head-Fi:
HiBy R5 Gen 2 - the full review

Hi guys, I've just posted my full HiBy R5 Gen 2 review, the first on Head-Fi, here. I've also created a product page for the R52 here, so if anyone else wants to post their reviews on Head-Fi, please feel free to do so. Hope you enjoy the write-up (and photos).

R52_07.jpg
Echo chamber here:

Turning off A-class personally feels like the sounds are squished together. It is not bad; when out and about this is non-issue and the battery life helps.

May 26, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #519 of 1,077
How is the streaming performance? Especially Spotify?
Spotify main here. No issue streaming, though I usually will download my main playlists to turn off wifi.

If you're used to higher end phones, start up may get a tad slower, but once it's loaded up, you'll not notice.

May 26, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #520 of 1,077
Spotify main here. No issue streaming, though I usually will download my main playlists to turn off wifi.

If you're used to higher end phones, start up may get a tad slower, but once it's loaded up, you'll not notice.

Streaming is one aspect of this DAP thought to be a possible problem due to the age of the Snapdragon CPU. It’s good to hear that practically speaking, it’s not… but I wonder about streaming lossless audio(?)

May 26, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #523 of 1,077
Streaming is one aspect of this DAP thought to be a possible problem due to the age of the Snapdragon CPU. It’s good to hear that practically speaking, it’s not… but I wonder about streaming lossless audio(?)
I'm currently up to only Deezer lossless streaming (no Qobuz here, no Tidal for me :D). No issues. Runs the same as Spotify high quality.

May 26, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #525 of 1,077
Like others above, I'm really interested in r5g2 but the 2G RAM has me on the fence. I'm subscribed both Tidal and Qobuz, and have a large DSD library. Will this fella handle everything with ease?
It seems to handle a decent size dsf file without any issues but the dsd upsampling is a bit buggy and not fully developed with any apps. So far it seems only neutron player is supporting dsd upsampling with the r5g2, sounds really good even at dsd64 though. I hope they develop it further for dsd256.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back