HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
May 24, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #496 of 1,076
So, I really like the idea of two models in R5 Gen 2, both are really useful for me
I am using the same combination as you show in the video ( IMR Dark Matter / Hiby R5 Gen 2 ) and think it is a great pairing to my ears.

Just curious if you have tried using an IMR 2021 cable (copper cable with the same hooks as the 2022) in comparing to the new 2022 version supplied with DM? I felt it wasn`t as bright (some may argue 2022 is more balanced) but the mid/low end definitely has more body to it. I liked the pairing with 2021 cable better.... YMMV.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #498 of 1,076
So as much as I like it being protected, I ended up ditching the case as it blocks the buttons too much from being able to use them “blindly”. One minor annoyance has come up with my unit. I’ve had some sticking buttons with both the power button as well as volume buttons. Anyone else have this issue?
I''ve found for other DAP's that AIexpress has nice rubbery cases that cost like $10-15, and protect well, while having appropriate holes for buttons and the like.

May 24, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #500 of 1,076
Ok... I updated the firmware and have just been listening for the past 2 hours or so and I think you're right. Hiby has done something to the tuning of the R5G2--something very good. I have no complaints about its sound now. All of the dry, edgy timbre I was hearing before is gone without a trace and the soundstage in Class A balanced mode has become very impressive. It streches out wide with excellent layering and sounds very natural and real now. I don't think I'm just imagining it. Would be great if someone from Hiby would join the conversation and let us know what exactly changed beyond what's in the firmware update notes. Now I have a dilemma. I was in the process of selling or returning it in favor of my N3Pro, but the R5G2 sound so good now I don't know what I'm going to do. Good problem to have, I guess!

Forgot to mention... It sounds so good now, I have no need to make any adjustments in MSEB.
So I’m talking things over with Mick, I consider buying his R5 Gen2. But as I told him I’m torn between buying nothing and sticking to my N3Pro and Qudelix, which solves zero of my usability issues; getting a yesteryear flagship, more expensive and bulky like the M8 or DX300; and going for the new R5.

All of you guys’ input is welcome, especially yours again @StivVid since you have both this and an N3Pro. Also the review by Soundnews mentions how juicy this is, which is the one quality I’m looking for, that meat on the bones. Also @cleg and @kfotheringham the Dark Matter are my best iems right now, would you care to comment further on the pairing?

May 24, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #501 of 1,076
@kfotheringham the Dark Matter are my best iems right now, would you care to comment further on the pairing?
I’m using Blue / Blue filters on the DM and with Class A turned on, I love the tonality the Dark Matter have with R5 Gen 2 (using the 2021 cable). It conveys music emotionally to me,….actually the best I have heard yet, but haven’t heard any TOTL daps.

I can’t say how different it is to your Cayin, but may I ask what you think is missing from your pairing?

It also works really well driving my Hifiman Deva Pro wired (balanced) with an iron grip - a few steps up from the Himalaya Bluetooth module, although admittedly I’m using high gain and between 75 to 90 volume with my library to achieve it.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #502 of 1,076
I’m using Blue / Blue filters on the DM and with Class A turned on, I love the tonality the Dark Matter have with R5 Gen 2 (using the 2021 cable). It conveys music emotionally to me,….actually the best I have heard yet, but haven’t heard any TOTL daps.

I can’t say how different it is to your Cayin, but may I ask what you think is missing from your pairing?

It also works really well driving my Hifiman Deva Pro wired (balanced) with an iron grip - a few steps up from the Himalaya Bluetooth module, although admittedly I’m using high gain and between 75 to 90 volume with my library to achieve it.
Nice, I really like the Deva Pro too and almost bought them a few weeks ago.

Sonically I am not missing much from the pairing with the Cayin player. I have heard things through an A&K SE180 that I am not hearing with the N3Pro, but I couldn’t hear those same things on a DX300 either for instance, and the A&K made me pay for its technical excellence in tears of boredom. Some people complain about the detail retrieval on the N3Pro, but to me that’s missing the point of that DAP which is all about musicality, physical bass that you want to bite into, and pure engagement.
What I miss badly is a trouble-free listening experience. I mostly use it as an LDAC BT receiver, with my phone as a source streaming Tidal, and run into a lot of stability issues. I literally dread pressing pause!

Mmmh “emotional” is a good word to hear… thank you friend.

May 25, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #503 of 1,076
Good day all, sorry didn't had time to read through the whole thread, so don't know if anyone had a same issue. I just got the genII a few days ago, ordered it from Linsoul, I am in UK. Almost received it when I realized it is the Chinese ver, I was ok with it only need for music play, hopefully not missing anything out not having playstore. So the issues, I can not connect anything Bluetooth (phone, pc) except a Bluetooth headphone. It does pair up with all devices but after a moment connection drops it. It has detailed, wide, well separated sound but it does sound a little bit thin almost sharp for my ears, specially with vocals. Had one update and currently on RS5II_1.01_20220507_1314. Wrote email to Hiby they asked me to contact to Linsoul, so I emailing with them. Thank you in advance.

May 25, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #504 of 1,076
Good day all, sorry didn't had time to read through the whole thread, so don't know if anyone had a same issue. I just got the genII a few days ago, ordered it from Linsoul, I am in UK. Almost received it when I realized it is the Chinese ver, I was ok with it only need for music play, hopefully not missing anything out not having playstore. So the issues, I can not connect anything Bluetooth (phone, pc) except a Bluetooth headphone. It does pair up with all devices but after a moment connection drops it. It has detailed, wide, well separated sound but it does sound a little bit thin almost sharp for my ears, specially with vocals. Had one update and currently on RS5II_1.01_20220507_1314. Wrote email to Hiby they asked me to contact to Linsoul, so I emailing with them. Thank you in advance.

Contact Linsoul, they will take care of you :)

May 25, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #507 of 1,076
First on Head-Fi:
HiBy R5 Gen 2 - the full review

Hi guys, I've just posted my full HiBy R5 Gen 2 review, the first on Head-Fi, here. I've also created a product page for the R52 here, so if anyone else wants to post their reviews on Head-Fi, please feel free to do so. Hope you enjoy the write-up (and photos).

R52_07.jpg

May 25, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #508 of 1,076
First on Head-Fi:
HiBy R5 Gen 2 - the full review

Hi guys, I've just posted my full HiBy R5 Gen 2 review, the first on Head-Fi, here. I've also created a product page for the R52 here, so if anyone else wants to post their reviews on Head-Fi, please feel free to do so. Hope you enjoy the write-up (and photos).

R52_07.jpg
Nice review. Glad I'm not a real audiophile as eco-mode sounds fine to me with the benefit of 30hr battery life. Yes, the A amp sounds better even with my easy drive IEM's but not a must use feature for me. I do tend to like Sabre DAC's.

May 25, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #509 of 1,076
I am still in the mode of getting used to the device so can't really add much to the review mix yet.

Seems like the internal memory is more full than on my old R5. I am guessing either Tidal or Apple Music (I am trialing Tidal) is putting music on the internal memory when downloading. Anybody know how to set both of those apps to download to the SD card? I know how to do that on Amazon so that app is not the issue.

May 25, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #510 of 1,076
I am still in the mode of getting used to the device so can't really add much to the review mix yet.

Seems like the internal memory is more full than on my old R5. I am guessing either Tidal or Apple Music (I am trialing Tidal) is putting music on the internal memory when downloading. Anybody know how to set both of those apps to download to the SD card? I know how to do that on Amazon so that app is not the issue.
Post in thread 'HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...ime-mqa-16x-open-android.962816/post-16964039

Users who are viewing this thread

Back