HiBy R3 Pro Saber: Very good or not for classical music/opera fans who want high quality sound reproduction?
Sep 21, 2021 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tristan4

New Head-Fier
I'm a classical music and opera enthusiast who wonders if the HiBy R3 Pro Saber mp3 player offers very high quality sound reproduction when the unit holds only classical music and opera. Or is this player best for some kind of music which is non-classical and non-opera because it's electronics, set up and adustments of those components were selected for maybe rock or some other kind of music?

Apr 11, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 3
A great deal will depend on the iem or headphone you use. I use my R3 Pro Saber in two situations... travel, and the gym. At the gym, I really am not listening critically, mostly pod casts. Travel, however, is a different story. I listen to a lot of classical, but also rock and big band. The Hiby serves me well in that use case. Again, depending on your iem or headphone, the Hiby has an interesting tweek along with a basic 5 band equalizer... called MSEB. This is (apparently) a kind of parametric equalizer, but it uses very different terms for it's adjustments. It's worth playing around with.

In short, yes, very good for classical music. One caveat: I have found that the balanced output gives a very noticeable improvement in dynamic range and headroom over the single-ended output. This is not just an increased loudness, but a better overall quality of sound.

Hope this helps.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 3
I have the original R3 and find it rather "digital" but that's to be expected in that price range, but I suppose the Pro version is better.
But the R3 has another use case, in which it has served me really well for a few years now - as transport for the CHORD Mojo DAC/Amp. The Mojo is really good for classical, opera and acoustic music, because it uses a much more powerful (app. 1000x the processing power) technology to reconstruct the analog signal accurately. This results in a detailed but smooth rather than digital sound, with better layering and depth. Since the new Mojo 2 was just released a lot of Mojo 1 are for sale at a good price (~200...250 should be possible).
So you could get the R3 and if you want to upgrade it can have a second life as a nifty little transport.

This is my stack. I liked it so much that I later upgraded to the Hugo2Go, which is again significantly better but like 5x the price. (I printed the housing myself, that's why I have different colors...)

11212138_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 11237644_thumb.jpeg
    11237644_thumb.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back