Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #541 of 2,070
I thought the sabre was more "neutral" so less for bass-heavy music like electronic? unless by electronic you mean IDM? i dont even know what all these new genres are anymore anyway :upside_down:
Hi,

I was only going by their website. Doubt I can hear the difference anymore at my age.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #542 of 2,070
You can always mess with mseb and warm it up. But in my experience, Sony sound is hard to duplicate, especially the stageing and bass response. It's weird though when using hiby music or neutron it doesn't sound warmish/dense like the sony app.

One of Sony's strengths is there audio processing algorithms. Coming from the home audio arena they have been a pioneer in the sound processing. The Sony app is likely applying some custom Sony processing or filtering which is why other apps sound different. It is the same with their MediaGo software, I still use it to listen to tracks on my computer because it sounds better than other music apps I have tried.

The fact that third party apps sound different could mean that the so called Sony sound has more to do with software than hardware. It be would interesting to know for example if you used the same third party music app on the Sony A105 and on another android DAP like my Fiio M9 how much different they would actually sound from each other.

I am assuming you can't install the Sony Music player apk on another android DAP? How close to the Sony sound can you get using MSEB on the R3 Pro?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #543 of 2,070
Hiby R3 Pro listed on Canadian dealer site electronicsforless.ca

Got a little excited to see it listed but then I read the fine print - Shipping August 1st. I think I will wait awhile before I decide to place an order. I am however excited that there is at least one Canadian dealer that is selling a range of Hiby DAP's now. Headphonebar.com is only selling the current R3 Pro.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #544 of 2,070
One of Sony's strengths is there audio processing algorithms. Coming from the home audio arena they have been a pioneer in the sound processing. The Sony app is likely applying some custom Sony processing or filtering which is why other apps sound different. It is the same with their MediaGo software, I still use it to listen to tracks on my computer because it sounds better than other music apps I have tried.

The fact that third party apps sound different could mean that the so called Sony sound has more to do with software than hardware. It be would interesting to know for example if you used the same third party music app on the Sony A105 and on another android DAP like my Fiio M9 how much different they would actually sound from each other.

I am assuming you can't install the Sony Music player apk on another android DAP? How close to the Sony sound can you get using MSEB on the R3 Pro?

Yes all 3 apps sound different, but I'm using eq on all 3 so of course there is some software manipulation going on. You still here the great separation on the other apps in fact even more so on the hiby app, but it's more spread out and the mids aren't as forward.

Neutron is really dynamic with a wide stage and aggressive treble, but they have the best eq.

I tried to emulate the Sony sound but I did that on my ap80, r3p and dx160 with mesb but I might try again- im sure it's possible to get close, I just couldn't get the seperation between notes that the Sony has on the r3p. No matter what -I could hear everything just a little clearer on the Sony.

Not that the r3p doesn't have great layering and space between notes, it's was just like a wall of sound compared to a whole of parts on the Sony. Both great, both slightly different.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #545 of 2,070
Yes all 3 apps sound different, but I'm using eq on all 3 so of course there is some software manipulation going on. You still here the great separation on the other apps in fact even more so on the hiby app, but it's more spread out and the mids aren't as forward.

Neutron is really dynamic with a wide stage and aggressive treble, but they have the best eq.

I tried to emulate the Sony sound but I did that on my ap80, r3p and dx160 with mesb but I might try again- im sure it's possible to get close, I just couldn't get the seperation between notes that the Sony has on the r3p. No matter what -I could hear everything just a little clearer on the Sony.

Not that the r3p doesn't have great layering and space between notes, it's was just like a wall of sound compared to a whole of parts on the Sony. Both great, both slightly different.

Thanks for the feedback, with all the audio manipulation features Sony offers I often wondered if they used one by default on their DAP's. I didn't realize you were applying eq on the various apps. I never use an eq as a rule, if it doesn't sound good without eq I don't buy it, just the purist in me. I tried Pulsar and thought about trying Neutron on my M9 but with the limited hardware I thought it might make it to sluggish. I can now uninstall the stock Fiio App and install the standalone version. I might try that at some point to see if it is any better.

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #546 of 2,070
Thanks for the feedback, with all the audio manipulation features Sony offers I often wondered if they used one by default on their DAP's. I didn't realize you were applying eq on the various apps. I never use an eq as a rule, if it doesn't sound good without eq I don't buy it, just the purist in me. I tried Pulsar and thought about trying Neutron on my M9 but with the limited hardware I thought it might make it to sluggish. I can now uninstall the stock Fiio App and install the standalone version. I might try that at some point to see if it is any better.

Yes, I take a touch off the bass on the akt8ie ii just like 2 decibels at 30hz. That's really all. All the players sound good without eq but the akt8ie are so powerful in the lower registers.

I take a bit off the top on neutron.

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #547 of 2,070
I have some questions regarding R3pro vs R3pro Saber. The DACs used in the Pro are the CS43198. This DAC seems to be used in more expensive "higher end" players than the Pro like the DX160 which retails for $399 and the Hiby R5 which retails for $299.

The Pro Saber uses the ES9218P. This DAC seems to be used in more entry level "lower end" players like the Shanling Q1 which retails for $119, the Shanling M0 which retails for $109 and the FiiO M3pro which retails for $79.

That's why I was surprised to see that the Saber actually costs more than the regular Pro. Based on the above you would think that the CS43198 is a much better DAC and would warrant the higher price. Is one DAC better than the other. Is the Saber worth it over the regular Pro?

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #548 of 2,070
I have some questions regarding R3pro vs R3pro Saber. The DACs used in the Pro are the CS43198. This DAC seems to be used in more expensive "higher end" players than the Pro like the DX160 which retails for $399 and the Hiby R5 which retails for $299.

The Pro Saber uses the ES9218P. This DAC seems to be used in more entry level "lower end" players like the Shanling Q1 which retails for $119, the Shanling M0 which retails for $109 and the FiiO M3pro which retails for $79.

That's why I was surprised to see that the Saber actually costs more than the regular Pro. Based on the above you would think that the CS43198 is a much better DAC and would warrant the higher price. Is one DAC better than the other. Is the Saber worth it over the regular Pro?

Not the same dac as dx160 and r5. R3p uses CS43131. The saber chips can do hardware unfolding of mqa and have a bit more output power. They might cost hiby a bit more.

I don't put too much stock in the dac used anyways, all modern dacs have excellent specs. It's truly the implementation that makes the difference along with the output stage.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #549 of 2,070
Not the same dac as dx160 and r5. R3p uses CS43131. The saber chips can do hardware unfolding of mqa and have a bit more output power. They might cost hiby a bit more.

I don't put too much stock in the dac used anyways, all modern dacs have excellent specs. It's truly the implementation that makes the difference along with the output stage.

That is my mistake, I mis-read the specs in regards with the Pro vs the Dx160/R5. I do see that the Pro Saber does have more output power and read that it has a more analytical sound. I guess one DAC is not necessarily better than the other.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #550 of 2,070

I actually thought they were the same at first too. Didn't mean to quote my own post lol. It's confusing with all the dac models

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #551 of 2,070

The 3 DAP's you mentioned are cheaper likely because of missing features moreso than the choice of DAC/Amp. The two Shanling DAP's lack wifi and the M3Pro has no wifi or bluetooth from what I understand. The R3 Pro Sabre DAC/Amp version has more power than the R3 Pro Cirrus Logic 80 + 80 mw single / 280 + 280 mw balanced for the sabre vs 60 + 60 mw single / 210 + 210 mw balanced for the regular pro. The price difference is only $10 so the power difference alone could justify the higher price. I haven't compared the two indepth but there could be some other capabilities differences between the chips.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #552 of 2,070
If you go to the main r3 thread and just search themes you will find a list by the person who has their own custom firmware. I can't remember what his handle is and I'm too lazy to go check. :)

But you will find what you need, and I thought that was the best custom theme - hexagon

Thanks I found it. Actually I did find another one on github also. It's a "Modern Ipod theme"

Not sure if I love it though but it could be great if you are an apple person I gues.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #553 of 2,070
So if I understand this correctly, the variant with the Sabre chip is more for people into electronic music and ACG (which I had to Google)? Then as an oldie who prefers classic rock, blues, etc I should stick to the original Pro.
Not necessarily. I find they both sound good with classic rock. The ESS does have a slightly more analytical approach, but not overly so. I think it's silly for Hiby to state dac chip, genre specific literature. It always boils down to personal preference.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #554 of 2,070
Hiby R3 Pro listed on Canadian dealer site electronicsforless.ca

Got a little excited to see it listed but then I read the fine print - Shipping August 1st. I think I will wait awhile before I decide to place an order. I am however excited that there is at least one Canadian dealer that is selling a range of Hiby DAP's now. Headphonebar.com is only selling the current R3 Pro.

Why aren't you buying directly from Hiby ? They ship to Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back