Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 5, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #526 of 2,068
I have never used "High-end IEMS before this is the most expensive one i have used and boy does music sound so much better ..i couldn't believe what i was hearing with my ears, its a whole different level of audio ... i am sure the SE846 is just as good just never stepped up to this level before ...i wonder how the hiby r3pro sounds now? i owned it before i didn't like it ,it didn't have that warm sony sound i like

I did find it a bit bright initially where the BTR5 is more musical/warm, to me anyway. Since getting the silver Litz balanced cable today its really tamed the brightness and brought more smoothness & musicality. First time I've heard a cable have a noticeable effect but then I've only ever used copper or copper/silver plate before. 3.5mm is inferior to 2.5mm balanced but assume you did try it balanced.

I'm pleased enough that its stopped me obsessing over importing a ZX507! The other strange thing is Tidal on the R3 Pro sounds amazing! Better than I've heard on any other player but I do believe it is doing full unfold of MQA.

I got my SE846 used for £450 and the K10U used for £470. No way I'd pay RRP, especially for the Noble! The replacement for Noble K10U (Encore) is $1850!!!!! :astonished:

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #527 of 2,068
I did find it a bit bright initially where the BTR5 is more musical/warm, to me anyway. Since getting the silver Litz balanced cable today its really tamed the brightness and brought more smoothness & musicality. First time I've heard a cable have a noticeable effect but then I've only evet used copper or copper/silver plate before.

I'm pleased enough that its stopped me obsessing over importing a ZX507! The other strange thing is Tidal on the R3 Pro sounds amazing! Better than I've heard on any other player but I do believe it is doing full unfold of MQA.
...i do remember the balanced out on the hiby r3 is very good as you said the brightness put me off a bit.. new IEMS now might be a good time to try it again
Expensive hobby this

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #528 of 2,068
My silver cable just arrived for my K10U (Fiio LS-2.5D with Litz pure silver, single crystal cable).

I know some say silver can be brighter than copper but for me its toned down the brightness a bit, made things sound smoother. Lovely cable both for build quality & comfort. I don't normally think cables change SQ but for me this has made the R3 Pro even more to my liking.

Shown here against the cheap silver plate copper one I was using that was fine for SQ but not very flexible and not comfy around ear with extended listening.

20200605_170549.jpg

That cable looks much more comfortable.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #529 of 2,068
Hi,

I love this DAP but i really hate how complicated the Theme tools is and the official themes from Hibys site sucks. Anyone know where to find a good theme? Been browsing the internet and Hexagon is often discussed but I cant find it anywhere.

If you go to the main r3 thread and just search themes you will find a list by the person who has their own custom firmware. I can't remember what his handle is and I'm too lazy to go check. :)

But you will find what you need, and I thought that was the best custom theme - hexagon

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #530 of 2,068
...i do remember the balanced out on the hiby r3 is very good as you said the brightness put me off a bit.. new IEMS now might be a good time to try it again
Expensive hobby this

You can always mess with mseb and warm it up. But in my experience, Sony sound is hard to duplicate, especially the stageing and bass response. It's weird though when using hiby music or neutron it doesn't sound warmish/dense like the sony app.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #531 of 2,068
do any of you's use the MSEB on the r3 pro? how is it? and with what headphones/iems?
i'm getting the r3 pro sabre for use primarily with moondrop blessings2

I use the MSEB on my Shure e3 IEMs. Did a great job with improving the bass extension and clearing up the vocals. Otherwise I haven't needed to use it with any of my other headphones. I do like the idea of adjusting for different subjective sonic qualities (as opposed to frequencies, as with a regular graphic eq). Even though I know how to make a "real" equalizer do what I need, tuning is so much more intuitive using the MSEB.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #532 of 2,068
thanks, would you mind posting a shot of your settings? i want to get an idea of how people use it

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #533 of 2,068
So with psikey's somewhat enthusiastic responses to the R3 Pro (... the best DAP I have ever bought for the money based on ...), I decided to break out brand new balanced 2.5mm cables I bought months ago. Didn't get round to using them as the 3.5mm unbalanced was already doing a decent job and I didn't think balanced-out would make much difference on a small cheap DAP.

Swapped the cables and >>> The lower bass (aka sub-bass) became more apparent, and music transients became sharper. Smaller details started to show up and, musically, there was more "drama" in the songs I was familiar with. Wider/deeper staging. All this using a humble CCA C10 with TRN balanced cable. A cheap little DAP should not be doing this! :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #534 of 2,068
Price certainly isn't relative to performance in my experience. R3p sounds as good as pretty much every other dap ive tried. And better than quite a few. I like the Sony a105 sound because it's different, not technically better.

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #535 of 2,068
Price certainly isn't relative to performance in my experience. R3p sounds as good as pretty much every other dap ive tried. And better than quite a few. I like the Sony a105 sound because it's different, not technically better.
Looks like I've under-estimated (and under-utilized) it for a while now. I generally listen to DAPs only when I travel, so as to prolong my Android phone' s battery life. Other than those times, I usually listen to my phone via DAC dongles. Think I will use the R3Pro balanced-out a bit more from now on.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #537 of 2,068
My silver cable just arrived for my K10U (Fiio LS-2.5D with Litz pure silver, single crystal cable).

I know some say silver can be brighter than copper but for me its toned down the brightness a bit, made things sound smoother. Lovely cable both for build quality & comfort. I don't normally think cables change SQ but for me this has made the R3 Pro even more to my liking.

Shown here against the cheap silver plate copper one I was using that was fine for SQ but not very flexible and not comfy around ear with extended listening.

20200605_170549.jpg
I've always wanted to try a pure silver cable, but they're relatively expensive. I usually stick with straight copper when available.

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #539 of 2,068
So if I understand this correctly, the variant with the Sabre chip is more for people into electronic music and ACG (which I had to Google)? Then as an oldie who prefers classic rock, blues, etc I should stick to the original Pro.

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #540 of 2,068
So if I understand this correctly, the variant with the Sabre chip is more for people into electronic music and ACG (which I had to Google)? Then as an oldie who prefers classic rock, blues, etc I should stick to the original Pro.
I thought the sabre was more "neutral" so less for bass-heavy music like electronic? unless by electronic you mean IDM? i dont even know what all these new genres are anymore anyway :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back