Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 16, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #738 of 2,070
I wonder if anybody has been using R3p extensively as a USB-DAC, which would be my main interest...

Not "extensively" yet, but I've done a bit of testing in that mode. Connected to a Chromebook, using Qobuz web app as a source. Sounds pretty much the same as it does in standalone mode. Tried files of different bit depth and sample rates (tho I didn't keep careful track). A couple tiny quirks, which I attribute to the Chromebook: I had to Manually select the R3Pro as the audio output device, and switching stream "quality" on-the-fly gave unexpected results, which corrected upon track change. Not really an issue since in normal use one doesn't usually change quality in mid-song.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #739 of 2,070
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #741 of 2,070
My saber arrived today. I'll try and do a compare sound between the pro and the pro saber

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #742 of 2,070
Hey if somebody in the US wants my leather r3p case it'll send it to ya pro bono

I'll never use it and it came with my r3ps. I just use the screen saver on the back and go natural.

Sold! Ha ha

20200617_085726.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #743 of 2,070
Really enjoying the little r3ps, I never had a problem with the r3p's sound just the bt transmission. Hiby seems to have ironed that out.

Now I have a small all in one unit with good battery life, and excellent sound. Might be selling my a105 :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #744 of 2,070
Yes the BT performance with my Jaybird Tarah Pro and R3PS are far from perfect.

While moving with Tarah and with R3Ps stationnary less than 5-10 m, a lot of signal loss with building drywall or metal shielding such as garage door framing.

For example, if the R3PS is in the garage near the open door, when i exit the garage within 3 meter of the RP3S, I will lose the BT signal.

Tried to lawn grass in BT with R3Ps in my pocket and just the moving leg had a effect on interference (sound stuttering).

Quite bad BT performance

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #745 of 2,070
Yes the BT performance with my Jaybird Tarah Pro and R3PS are far from perfect.

While moving with Tarah and with R3Ps stationnary less than 5-10 m, a lot of signal loss with building drywall or metal shielding such as garage door framing.

For example, if the R3PS is in the garage near the open door, when i exit the garage within 3 meter of the RP3S, I will lose the BT signal.

Tried to lawn grass in BT with R3Ps in my pocket and just the moving leg had a effect on interference (sound stuttering).

Quite bad BT performance

My saber has been really good, what codec are you using? I'm using ldac with Sony EX 750bt and the connections been great. I mowed the grass yesterday and no skips.

My original r3p was pretty bad, I could make the signal break up just by moving the r3p around at arms length. Haven't tested range but so far using it, it's been as good as my a105 and s10e. I'll try my enacfire e18 plus later to see how those work.

I'm sure we have the same firmware, maybe try a reset?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #746 of 2,070
My saber has been really good, what codec are you using? I'm using ldac with Sony EX 750bt and the connections been great. I mowed the grass yesterday and no skips.

My original r3p was pretty bad, I could make the signal break up just by moving the r3p around at arms length. Haven't tested range but so far using it, it's been as good as my a105 and s10e. I'll try my enacfire e18 plus later to see how those work.

I'm sure we have the same firmware, maybe try a reset?

I tryed ldac and reduced it to aptx to lower bandwidth. No change.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #747 of 2,070
I tryed ldac and reduced it to aptx to lower bandwidth. No change.

That sucks man. Most daps ive used sucked at bt transmission, well at least with those Sony buds. Sony daps worked well, I think the r5 was good, I think everything else I've tried was so so and I couldn't use them to like mow the yard.

The same thing would happen, sometimes when I took a step it would lose signal and it would studder or break up. Knock on wood, so far my r3ps has been fine.

I have noticed my Sony and even my phone to break up whilst doing things outside occasionally. I think it's just noise and interference in the area that's particularly strong at that time.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #748 of 2,070
You guys having trouble with Bluetooth: is this while WiFi streaming? or playing files from the SD card? If you're playing local files, you should switch off WiFi. If WiFi streaming, use 5gHz if possible. Why? Because Bluetooth and 2gHz WiFi use the same frequencies, so they can interfere with each other. In fact, some devices (many Motorola phones, for example) actually use the same chip and antenna for both Bluetooth and WiFi, time-sharing if both are in use simultaneously. I don't know if this is the case or not with the R3Pro (either version).

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #749 of 2,070
You guys having trouble with Bluetooth: is this while WiFi streaming? or playing files from the SD card? If you're playing local files, you should switch off WiFi. If WiFi streaming, use 5gHz if possible. Why? Because Bluetooth and 2gHz WiFi use the same frequencies, so they can interfere with each other. In fact, some devices (many Motorola phones, for example) actually use the same chip and antenna for both Bluetooth and WiFi, time-sharing if both are in use simultaneously. I don't know if this is the case or not with the R3Pro (either version).

Wifi OFF, source from SDCard,

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #750 of 2,070

No I never use both on a dap. But mine is working good with bt. But I had problems with both ibassos dx220 and dx160, my hidiz ap80, and the shanlings I've had were a bit spotty. I think the fiios also worked good also- m11 and m6. The r3 didn't work good for me or my original pro.

Like I said before it just could be the area I'm in. But I've been able to walk around outside with the new saber, and with most others I would get drop offs inside too.

Funnily enough every Sony I've had has worked great for bt. Although I never used BT on Sony wm1a, cayin n6ii, or looto paw 6000. I did use paw 6000 as a bt dac or receiver with ldac and that worked good.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back