HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
May 2, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #691 of 872
Can the R2 II display different artwork per track even if the tracks are associated with the same album and in the same album folder? I have some tracks (both mp3 and flac) that in have ID3 tagged with different artwork per track.
I just checked for mp3. It shows the album image embedded in the tags. Each file in the folder can have a different one and it shows correctly.

May 2, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #692 of 872
I want to know whether the battery is indeed completely discharged or it is just the battery meter that is wrong.

My guess would be it's the meter that is at fault.
I've had it over a month and experienced 3 discharging occurrences, all of which happened during the same week and, thank God, not anytime later.

I have not changed anything in the way I use it, neither did I switch to different charger, cable, microSD card, anything.
It's just like it's learned its lesson and doesn't want to bother me any more.

May 18, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #694 of 872
The battery sucks on the Hiby's. Two dead Hiby DAPS, including the R2. Crappy QC. The end.

May 19, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #696 of 872
What are you going to do now? Contact the seller? Message HiBy directly?
Please, keep us posted.

If anything like this happens to any of us, at least we'll know what to expect.
Oh I contacted them already. They answered back. They wanted to charge me $50.00 for each battery replacement (R2 and R5), plus I had to pay for postage to send them back to China, so an extra $30-40 to send them both back at the same time. So $130-$140 to get them to fix those two DAPS, each relatively new, and then wait how long to get it returned? Plus I paid $89.00 for the R2. So if I ended up doing that, I'd end up paying $155.00 for a refurbished R2? LOL Not to mention the deal I got on the Hiby R5 would be squandered by having to pay $75.00 to get it fixed? So with that money, I could get a Cayin, Shanling, Fiio, or A&K? Not good CS.

May 25, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #698 of 872
Yesterday i went to check on my R2 II and the battery was at 0%. It had 95% when i left it 5 days before. It was the first time it happened since i bought it 3 weeks ago. (I have the suspend feature turned off, it was fully off). Tried to search about it on google and this thread was the second result.

Some people are saying that it's the battery meter. It is not. It will fully charge again after it drains. When the problem is the meter (usually from an old or damaged battery, the value will jump rapidly to whatever percentage it really has after charging it for just a bit but it's not the case here.

About being an hardware or software issue. To be honest i really can't say. The fact that this happens when the DAP is fully turned off makes one think it's hardware, but in that case, it would happen all the time, right? I remember in the beginning i was trying to see how much it drained the battery when it was fully off and after 2 days of not touching it only dropped 1 or 2 percent. I tested this several times because i was busy for some days and couldn't really use the DAP anyway. Then i went 5 days without touching it and that's when it happened. So there must be a specific event or factor that triggers the problem. I charged it to 15% before going to bed and today it was still at the same value.

The real problem here is the fact that this damages the battery. It's a well known fact that hiby's batteries tend to get swollen. This can happen either from an old battery (not the case here), a bad quality battery (maybe?) or when they get over or under discharged.
I tried to search for photos from the inside of the R2 but couldn't find one. I did find one of the R3 which battery was swollen and was pleased to see that the battery had protection. The problem is that cheap chinese battery protection circuits for LiPo batteries usually only cut off the battery at 2.5 volts (2.7 with luck) in order for them to have higher capacities. That's wayyy less than the the minimum recommended 3.0 volts. Some companies and brands go even as high as 3.2 volts so that the battery stays healthier for longer.
Making the battery go to such extreme low values will degrade it quick and even make in swollen.

Asking $50 for a battery replacement is stealing. You can buy them on aliexpress for 5$.

My guess is that we'll never hear a statement from hiby about this. They will gladly "fix" it for you for a fee (even if it's still in warranty) and it will eventually happen again.
I hope i'm wrong. I hope it's software and not a badly designed PCB. I doubt they would make new revisions of the board and even if they did, costumers that already bought the device would have to pay for a replacement. Let's hope it's software..

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #700 of 872
Hi, @PtNikko .

I'm there to say that even though I have experienced unexpected battery drains at first, they seem to be gone. For the last two months (almost) I've been quite happy.
I didn't have the problem for the first two weeks either. There must be something that triggers it. I don't really use wifi or BT. I remember the last thing i did before it happened was trying out DLNA streaming. I will try several different situations to see if it happens again.

May 25, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #701 of 872
Yesterday i went to check on my R2 II and the battery was at 0%. It had 95% when i left it 5 days before. It was the first time it happened since i bought it 3 weeks ago. (I have the suspend feature turned off, it was fully off). Tried to search about it on google and this thread was the second result.

Some people are saying that it's the battery meter. It is not. It will fully charge again after it drains. When the problem is the meter (usually from an old or damaged battery, the value will jump rapidly to whatever percentage it really has after charging it for just a bit but it's not the case here.

About being an hardware or software issue. To be honest i really can't say. The fact that this happens when the DAP is fully turned off makes one think it's hardware, but in that case, it would happen all the time, right? I remember in the beginning i was trying to see how much it drained the battery when it was fully off and after 2 days of not touching it only dropped 1 or 2 percent. I tested this several times because i was busy for some days and couldn't really use the DAP anyway. Then i went 5 days without touching it and that's when it happened. So there must be a specific event or factor that triggers the problem. I charged it to 15% before going to bed and today it was still at the same value.

The real problem here is the fact that this damages the battery. It's a well known fact that hiby's batteries tend to get swollen. This can happen either from an old battery (not the case here), a bad quality battery (maybe?) or when they get over or underdischarged.
I tried to search for photos from the inside of the R2 but couldn't find one. I did find one of the R3 which battery was swollen and was please to see that the battery had protection. The problem is that cheap chinese battery protection circuits for LiPo batteries usually only cut off the battery at 2.5 volts (2.7 with luck) in order for them to have higher capacities. That's wayyy less than the the minimum recommended 3.0 volts. Some companies and brands go even as high as 3.2 volts so that the battery stays healthier for longer.
Making the battery go to such extreme low values will degrade it quick and even make in swollen.

Asking $50 for a battery replacement is stealing. You can buy them on aliexpress for 5$.

My guess is that we'll never hear a statement from hiby about this. They will gladly "fix" it for you for a fee (even if it's still in warranty) and it will eventually happen again.
I hope i'm wrong. I hope it's software and not a badly designed PCB. I doubt they would make new revisions of the board and even if they did, costumers that already bought the device would have to pay for a replacement. Let's hope it's software..
The more I read about the R2 II, the more attractive the M0 pro looks! :triportsad:

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #702 of 872
The more I read about the R2 II, the more attractive the M0 pro looks! :triportsad:
I really wanted to go with that one because of the smaller size but the lack of physical buttons made me go for the R2 II. I hate having to take the player out of my pocket and turn it on only to skip to the next track through the touchscreen. Do you know if the M0 pro supports music control through the call button on the cable?
The M1S seemed pretty cool but $200+ is way more than i was willing to give.

May 25, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #703 of 872
I really wanted to go with that one because of the smaller size but the lack of physical buttons made me go for the R2 II. I hate having to take the player out of my pocket and turn it on only to skip to the next track through the touchscreen. Do you know if the M0 pro supports music control through the call button on the cable?
The M1S seemed pretty cool but $200+ is way more than i was willing to give.
I don't have the M0 pro. A comment that was made in another thread was that the volume wheel can be programmed to give some control of functions without using touchscreen. If I can play/pause, skip track and adjust volume without taking player out of my coat pocket, that's enough! :L3000:

May 26, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #704 of 872
Like (many?) others, I have had one occurrence of dead battery overnight on the R2-II. I’m still waiting for another occurrence to investigate a little more, but it hasn’t happened…
Then it hits me: could it simply be a self-calibration feature of the battery gauge? If a “fuel gauge” chip is used, full discharges are needed to calibrate the chip, either as they happen in use, or forced by the OS, once, or periodically.
The “(show) battery percentage display” setting may have something to do with this—it’s “on” on my R2-II…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back