HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #361 of 872
@oneula I didn't have this issue either. I wonder, though, if you're getting confused by the keyboard on this screen. I certainly was! There's two keys that both say "abc". The one at the upper middle is the actual key for a, b or c. The one at the far left is for changing back to the alphabet keyboard when you've switched to numbers or symbols. I was tapping on that one to try to get an "a" and getting nowhere. If you're already in the alphabet keyboard, tapping that abc key on the far left seems to do nothing. I also found the presence of the big GO button at the bottom right, and the little tappable word Connect at the top middle to be confusing. I think GO didn't work for me, but Connect did - but I forget now exactly how I got that part to work. Also essential to keeping your sanity on this screen: tap the little eye icon to the right of the password field - that makes your characters visible so you can spot errors when there's still a chance to correct them. Good luck!

thanks for the heads up I feel like an idiot.
Put my glasses on and yes I can see the problem now.
I was able to get my wireless password in and updated the R2 software need do the same for Tidal and Qobuz.
These small screens are a such pain when you have fat fingers and bad eye sight but at least it's bigger than the shanling M0.
wish it had a clip case like the M0 for an arm/wrist band, but I'll make my own with one of the R2 cases I bought
I like the fact that it has buttons and a rocker versus the M0.
Now for the sound test, will it sound better than my M0, R3, CT10 or V1A?
thanks again

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #362 of 872
I got my son the R2 for Christmas.
Currently having a proper play with it for the first time.
It surpasses my expectation in terms of sound quality.

The UI is not particularly intuitive, but I suspect you get used to it.

I managed to get Tidal logged in and playing MQA.
The search functionality seems quite limited. I can't work out how to view albums when I search for an artist. It only seems to show tracks.
Can't even seem to search by album name either.
Am I missing something?
As a work around I can add an album to my collection using my phone, but then need to reboot the R2 for it to rescan and show up on the list.
@Barndoor I also got an R2 recently - it's a fun device! You don't have to reboot to get new music to show up. There's an orange "Update database" button at the bottom left on the main screen - the screen with the various-colored circular icons. There's also an option under Settings for the update to be manual or automatic. I've got it set to manual, so I'm not sure how well automatic works.

Inside the music app, there's a magnifying glass button at the top, for search. Once you've navigated the treacherous waters of the teeny-tiny keyboard and hit GO, you should see some results. At the top of that screen, in light gray, you can tap on the little words Tracks, Albums, Artists or Favorites. For example, I typed in a search for "blue". Under Tracks I see results like "Blue Swede/Hooked on a Feeling". Tapping on Albums, I see "Blue Coast Collection 2"; under Artists I see "Blue Oyster Cult". I don't currently have an active Tidal account, but I do have Qobuz setup on the R2. Search in the Qobuz app presents the results in the same way. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #363 of 872
@Barndoor I also got an R2 recently - it's a fun device! You don't have to reboot to get new music to show up. There's an orange "Update database" button at the bottom left on the main screen - the screen with the various-colored circular icons. There's also an option under Settings for the update to be manual or automatic. I've got it set to manual, so I'm not sure how well automatic works.

Inside the music app, there's a magnifying glass button at the top, for search. Once you've navigated the treacherous waters of the teeny-tiny keyboard and hit GO, you should see some results. At the top of that screen, in light gray, you can tap on the little words Tracks, Albums, Artists or Favorites. For example, I typed in a search for "blue". Under Tracks I see results like "Blue Swede/Hooked on a Feeling". Tapping on Albums, I see "Blue Coast Collection 2"; under Artists I see "Blue Oyster Cult". I don't currently have an active Tidal account, but I do have Qobuz setup on the R2. Search in the Qobuz app presents the results in the same way. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply.
Tidal search doesn't seem to have the bar to choose album, artist, etc.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #364 of 872
Thanks for the reply.
Tidal search doesn't seem to have the bar to choose album, artist, etc.
Just noticed I'm on old firmware.
Have updated and now the search options are available for Tidal.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #365 of 872
I've been using this device since I received it on Monday. Love the features - but, as others have noted, using the touchscreen is brutal. I'm updated to the latest firmware and it's still a mess. Very very close to returning it unless we hear something from Hiby that a fix is in the works. It is extremely frustrating.

Otherwise it's the best DAP I've ever owned. Too bad the touchscreen is such a downer!

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #366 of 872
I've been using this device since I received it on Monday. Love the features - but, as others have noted, using the touchscreen is brutal. I'm updated to the latest firmware and it's still a mess. Very very close to returning it unless we hear something from Hiby that a fix is in the works. It is extremely frustrating.

Otherwise it's the best DAP I've ever owned. Too bad the touchscreen is such a downer!
Although it might have been noted by others, what are your exact issues? 😅

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 8, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #367 of 872
Although it might have been noted by others, what are your exact issues? 😅
I have a lot of issues with taps either not being recognized, taps causing a swipe (left or right or up or down,) or tapping one icon and a different icon is selected. Sometimes I can see that the tap was recognized because the icon gets briefly highlighted and nothing happens. It's hit or miss and not consistent. I notice it through all functions - not just in Tidal, for example.

I should point out that I own an Apple Watch so I am used to using small touch screens without any issues.

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #369 of 872
Everyone has to decide what’s ok for them and their use of the device. I have experienced some ignored taps and mis-hits for sure, and it can be frustrating. But this thing is $99, and it includes a pretty decent DAC etc. We’re all used to iPhone screens or a similar Android phone. Those devices are much much more expensive, are sold at a razer-thin margin due to huge sales volume, and have been refined for years. Even the cheapest Apple Watch costs almost 3x the R2, and that’s for an old generation that’s probably being sold at close to cost. A current gen Watch starts at 4x the R2.

I guess I’m saying HiBy does have work to do here, but I personally am willing to give them quite a bit of slack at this price level. Maybe it’s because I’ve had mine for a while, so I’m past the “play around with it” phase. Now I usually start a playlist or album going, set it down and enjoy the music mostly hands-off. I prefer the hardware buttons for volume changes and track skips. I’m happy with it.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #370 of 872
There is a portafi review video. The touch issue is clearly visible in the video. Dude tap and nothing or some random stuff happening.

That video is the only reason I haven't ordered my hiby yet.
I have one of these and while it doesn't always do what I expect it to do (in terms of the UI; more experience needed 😅), I can't say I have had much trouble having it register my touches and swipes as I placed them. You should take this up with service@hiby.com to have them service / replace your unit 🙂

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #372 of 872
Hello friend, in what format do you recommend having the micro sd memory in the Hiby R2 ????? Exfat or Fat 32 ????? The one I have is 400 Gb Cheers

anything over 256GB should be ExFat.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #374 of 872
Hello friend, in what format do you recommend having the micro sd memory in the Hiby R2 ????? Exfat or Fat 32 ????? The one I have is 400 Gb Cheers
I always use ExFAT, but I doubt it’d really matter that much in real life for this application. The relevant limits of FAT32 are file size < 4GB, and file name length < 255 characters. Probably wouldn’t become an issue with a card full of music files. But the limits of ExFAT - less compatibility with older devices and older operating systems - probably isn’t relevant here either. So, since I always reformat a card before using it, I just choose the more modern one. Both work fine on Mac, Windows and Linux.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #375 of 872
I always use ExFAT, but I doubt it’d really matter that much in real life for this application. The relevant limits of FAT32 are file size < 4GB, and file name length < 255 characters. Probably wouldn’t become an issue with a card full of music files. But the limits of ExFAT - less compatibility with older devices and older operating systems - probably isn’t relevant here either. So, since I always reformat a card before using it, I just choose the more modern one. Both work fine on Mac, Windows and Linux.
Oh yeah, somehow I forgot to mention the only real noticeable difference! The name of the card is limited to 8 characters on FAT32, which can get a little annoying If you have a bunch of cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back