Hi, this is my first thread: CX300, VSD1, SHE3590, S4, vPulse or should I go for directly to the RE-400?
Nov 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

okibcn

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I am a married 39 years old engineer, linked to the electronics and aviation industry, married with 3 children living in Florida, US. So I know the wife factor when purchasing home theater components. I´ve always liked the music, video, signal processing and electronics. I also like physics and technology. I use to help in AVforums but this time I need help from people around this forum. By the way, Why I can not link images or change my avatar in this forum?

Lets begin, 9 years have passed since I bought the CX300 in Europe, 9 years serving almost everyday. They have given me thousands of hours (and miles) of music, movies or simply isolating the airplane noise. I've had some Sony, Samsung, Philips and all of them ended in the botton of some drawer of broken in hands of one of my children. I've always returned to the beloved CX300. Why?

TOUGH: CX300 demonstrated me they are tough. Not many IEM whistand years in my pocket without any protective case.
SOUND QUALITY: I am not an audiofile, but I listen different kind of music, and movies. their bass is immersive, deep and outstanding to my ears. It is not saturated by any means and treble is crystal clear. When listening to movies, they are wide and immersive, these IEM put you in the middle of the action.
BASS: I have to double this feature since I like powerful bass in EDM and action movies. It is difficult to hear real deep and immersive bass while enjoying the rest of the spectrum.
SLEEP: Their housings are so small that you can fell sleep on it. And this is important since In an airplane or in the bed they provide just sound to your ears, not any pressure due to big housings between your ear and the pillow.
NON INTRUSIVE ISOLATION: The isolation is better than average with the simple but effective isolation silicon. You do not feel them deep inside and they are really comfortable for wearing them on long flights of more than 10 hours.

It is clear that I have been more than satisfied with the CX300, my only issue what the plating of the connector. Last year started to make some creepy noise when it was turned, but I can understad that after carrying them in my pockets for years without any case. They are tough and I do not have any doubt about this. The bad news for me is that I have lost them. 

Maybe it is time to get someting else, after 9 years I think that maybe it is time to look for something even better. I know that CX300 are mainstream and not very appreciated by quality listeners, but I really like their sound. I am sure that I can find something for everyday use for less than $120. I know that the sound of most of current IEM is OK so I think that my 3 limiting factors are: SLEEP, TOUGH and BASS, all without sacrificing SQ. In other words, I am looking for IEM with small housings, good construction and deep and immersive bass while maintaining fair mids and good treble.

I've been looking around and there are many options but in pictures I can not evaluate the SLEEP factor and of course I can not evaluate the sound or isolation through a website. I trust on people and this is why I would like some feedback from people with listening experience. So far I have some IEM selected as candidates, I appreciate any feedback from their performance against my requirements. I am wide open to, and I would welcome, any new suggestion. So far my list is:

- Sennheiser CX300-II (Is it my best option? after 9 years there should exist something better!!!)
- HiFiMan RE-400 (Will it have SLEEP and BASS factors? It seems that they are not very tough, left channel is failing at the connector according to some comments in Amazon)
Velodyne vPulse (Will it have SLEEP, SQ and ISOLATION factors?)
- Vsonic VSD1 (Will it have SLEEP and ISOLATION factors?)
- Philips SHE3590 (Will it have enough SQ and ISOLATION?)
Klipsch S4 (Will it have SLEEP, SQ and ISOLATION factors?)
- Fischer Audio Enigma (Will it have the ISOLATION and SQ factors?)
Hisoundaudio Crystal (Will it have the BASS and SLEEP factors?)

I am completely lost in my selection, so I´d appreciate your feedback if you have any experience compared to my CX300 baseline or a personal positive or negative comment.

Regards and thanks for your answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back