Hi quality Fuses: do they improve sound?
May 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Fiat95

New Head-Fier
So, I subscribe to Stereophile, and recently saw an advertisement for SR Quantum Fuses: http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/new-category-synergistic-research-quantum-fuses-furutech-hifituningsupreme-fuses/
I am currently running a Poneer SA 600, and was wondering if upgrading the fuses would help at all? Has anyone had any experience with this product and its sound improvement?

May 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 58
So, I subscribe to Stereophile, and recently saw an advertisement for SR Quantum Fuses: http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/new-category-synergistic-research-quantum-fuses-furutech-hifituningsupreme-fuses/
I am currently running a Poneer SA 600, and was wondering if upgrading the fuses would help at all? Has anyone had any experience with this product and its sound improvement?
There are a few threads on fuses and many have confirmed positive results. Don't have any experience with em but would like to. Just so many other things to do first.

May 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 58
Quote:
There are a few threads on fuses and many have confirmed positive results. Don't have any experience with em but would like to. Just so many other things to do first.

Yep, don't stress over the imporvement from the fuses. If your fuses break then get some of the "Hi-Fi" fuses to try out, otherwise don't think about these too much. Some amps ship with really sturdy fuses that don't color the sound, they just aren't marketed as "Hi-Fi" fuses.

May 17, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 58
A substantial thread on the topic starts here. You'll find more information and opinions than ever you could have imagined.

Fuses attract probably even more controversy than cables. But there's less fighting going on with fuses because I think the skeptics are so incredulous that they don't even bother posting.

I was was initially skeptical and now a supporter. I've stated in another thread that the AMR fuse is the best value tweak of all time. Ever. Primarily because it's less than half the price of the more well known brands and so easier to justify giving it a go.

As always with any passive component that has next to zero distortion and ruler flat frequency response, the objective differences are tiny (well they just must be), but the subjective improvement to ones musical enjoyment can be more than worth the cost. Some people can readily hear such differences and some can't, or won't.  

May 17, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 58
It will affect the sound, for better or worse...your ears the judge. :p
I jus ain't sure where to locate those fuses in my setup if any...:rolleyes:

May 17, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 58
Personally I find marketing bs with "audio fuses" that improve the sound spectrum to be more of a joke as cryo'd tubes that offer night and day difference level of improvement over it's stock counterpart. Lot's of audiophiles are suckered into bs such as mentioned.

May 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 58
I sometimes wonder if skeptics are the only ones to ever take notice of "marketing bs". I certainly pay no attention to it, apart from getting slightly irritated by marketing that mentions the Quantum word. I judge a product entirely be the end result. I've never tried the SR Quantum fuses, so won't comment on them, but others have given very mixed reactions. 

May 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 58
Where fuses cause a degradation of the music signal is if they are fitted to a Hi-Fi Power Amp outputting many amps and the fuse is located in the output to the speakers-bad news-they heat up and cool  and in doing so their resistance changes. Even AD Engineers agree  with that.
             The same can apply to fuses fitted to a power supply output under a heavy  varying load. The fuse holders fitted to many PCBs are Rubbish. You know the kind just cheap clips and you push the fuse in . Under a Microscope the parallel sides of the clips are anything but flat. The answer is to remove them and fit INDUSTRIAL 90 degree spring loaded ones these CUT into the fuse at 90 Degrees there bye making maximum contact with the fuse. The body is made out of high impact plastic and are usually use small size fuses.
               I have come across many fuse holders OXIDIZED and having a contact resistance of several ohms and like your auto battery if the connections aren't tight enough they HEAT up. I do agree that some manufactures "go overboard " when it comes to selling their products
                 And remember there are MANY types of fuses -slow blow-quick blow-surge resistant etc.Get the right ones. 
                   As an industrial example BT in the UK got rid of all their soldered connections to their equipment[cabling from the equipment to the Main Frame]  and replaced it with sharp edged bars that bare wire was wrapped around  biting into the wire this made a highly reliable connection.[very low resistance].

May 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 58
Quote:
             The same can apply to fuses fitted to a power supply output under a heavy  varying load. The fuse holders fitted to many PCBs are Rubbish. You know the kind just cheap clips and you push the fuse in . Under a Microscope the parallel sides of the clips are anything but flat. The answer is to remove them and fit INDUSTRIAL 90 degree spring loaded ones these CUT into the fuse at 90 Degrees there bye making maximum contact with the fuse. The body is made out of high impact plastic and are usually use small size fuses.

You give an "answer," but don't define a meaningful "problem."

How does the "problem" manifest itself at the actual output of the amplifier?

se

May 21, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 58
Steve.By the heating and cooling of the fuse harmonics are created that effect the openness of the signal and add a slight "rough edge" . Even the great anti-subjective D, Self agrees with that as does my late departed guru of audio JLH. And yes it is in an edition of EW mag a number of years ago. Signal analyzers were used to show the harmonics.

May 21, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 58
So you're saying "Audio grade" fuses add improvements to sound? How is that even possible? It's the same with people who spend thousands on power cables hoping it to improve sound by concentrating the power from the AC mains to there equipment more, not when the AC main's has a dirty power supply, improvements can only be via a power station or filtration unit, a cable doesn't do anything but just pass a signal from A to B. The same can be said for fuses, as long as the fuse is contact with the fuse holder, there is no reason why it should reduce or add anything to sound, is there science to backup and say that fuses distort and cause vibration like audio tubes? Think not. 

May 21, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 58
Where in my posts did I  mention "audio grade fuses?? I put forward a proven scientific  fact and the types of fuses available All "down to earth" stuff.
     And where did I mention  "cable sound" you are putting words  into my mouth that weren't there in the first  place. Why don't you argue against a proven FACT.
         I know "full well" that there  is great exaggeration in audio products but that doesn't mean you DIS things that CAN be proved scientifically >if you Had read my posts in the past you will find that I said I  am NOT 100% convinced about cables and I stated that cables containing  large amounts of-Resistance/ Inductance/ Capacitance will affect low level signals surely you  agree with that as it is proven scientifically?

May 21, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 58
*** duncan before blowing off steam read my post properly. I didn't quite understand what you were talking about in the first part of your sentence "By the heating and cooling of the fuse harmonics are created that effect the openness of the signal and add a slight "rough edge"  it very much sounded like you were talking about fuses opening up the sound and adding a slight rough edge i.e. making adjustments to sound which I strongly disagree. My cable example wasn't directed at you and nor did I say anything that you wrote anything about cables I was making a direct assessment of people who believe in "audio grade fuses" are in the same group of people who believe power cables provide cleaner sound improvements/signal when the AC main's is dirty.

And yes I have read much of your past posts in other threads, rendering an almost completely lost meaning due to your style of writing, formatting and incomplete sentences that don't make sense - but as you say to other users "deal with it".

May 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 58
Maybe I took you "the wrong way" but what I said about the fuses at the output of a Hi-Fi power Amp has already been debated long ago in the pages of Electronic World mag -A mag that is read internationally round the world by the Audio /RF /  Digital/ design engineers especially in the USA. It is World recognized as a mag that sticks with the scientific facts and the majority agree with YOU! So if I quote from it it wont be "flower Power" comments  it will be totally down to earth. But that doesn't mean they cant be challenged if something can be proved scientifically.
                    I used to repair communication receivers in the past. Take that well known communications company based in the US-Hallicrafters in their old SX 28 receiver the connection between their BFO and oscillator valve was by 2 wires twisted together! Can you see what I am getting at ? if 2 wires can induce current in each other the same can be said for  High Fi equipment . 
                       JLH got ridiculed and sneered at when he said he could hear the difference in capacitors[look at my posts on him]   20YRS later cutting edge capacitor test equipment was designed and built by an Audio Design Engineer Proving John was Right . Where were the apologies????? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back