Hi, i'm new, and could use a few suggestions
Jun 19, 2007 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cyrian

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums, and this whole hobby. Currently i'm just useing my Zune with my recent pair of Sennheiser CX300's, and they are good for when i'm on the road, but i'm looking for something a little more.

I'm in the process of building myself a small CMoy headphone amp, and i've been looking at a pair of Grado's for home listening for a month or two now. I'm not looking to spend too much, preferably not more than $100 dollars, but i'd also like something that will sound good.

My current listening habbits with my music are tending towards rock, metal, some pop, alternative, classical, and a little electronica, but thats not really that much of my music, most of it is in the rock metal and classical genre.

So i guess in conclusion, i'm looking for advice on a pair of headphones that will sounds good in my budget, with either just my Zune or with my CMoy, and will do well with my music tastes.

I thank you all for any help or advice you offer me leading towards a purchase to help my start me in this hobby.

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 13
Here is my 2 cents.....

Grado SR-60 are the best bang for the buck headphone you can buy period. But... they dont need an amp to sound great.

To answer your question... Grado are hailed as the best cans for rock. Also most people would tell you that Senns are great for classical. I own both the SR60 and HD580s I can telly you that I love both cans. You will have to stretch your budget to get the HD580s but if you are after a clean sound for the price they are a great choice. My suggestion to you is since you like rock and metal (as do I) go for the SR60. A TON of people here have owned them and A TON of people love them and keep them in conjunction with all of their other more expensive cans because they sound great. It's all about what kind of sound you like. If it sounds good to you then it is good. The only way to know is to get them on your head.

Welcome to head-fi and I'm sorry about your wallet!

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 13
hehe, thank you, budget is kinda low due to college and apartment expences, and should expand significantly once i graduate and actually get a job in my field. Thank you for the advice, i was definitely looking at the SR60's and will definitely look into a pair of the HD580's.

again, thank you!

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 13
sorry about the double post, but if anyone else has some more input it would be greatly appreciated. i have been researching the grados for a good amount of time and i'm kinda leaning towards them, but if anyone has any other good suggestions for my price range, or maybe alittle more, if its really worth it.

thanks again in advance.

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Sorry about your wallet.

Oh and go Grado
biggrin.gif

btw im just trying to make it up to 500 as fast as possible at this point
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Seeing how your musical tastes tend to stray a bit toward the classical side of things but tends to stick a little closer to Rock; perhaps a look at the Alessandro version of the Grado; the MS-1, may be fun.

Netminder has the best thought though; One of each is great!

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 13
i'd go with the sr60's or alessandro ms-1's. but also click the audiocubes banner on the right hand side, look around and then decide.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 13
the ms-1's look very tempting, i havent heard alot of specifics about them, but i doo hear talk and see lots of threads about them, i'll give them a look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back