Hi fi unit based on airport express??
May 2, 2009 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jambo

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

I bought an Airport Express last week and have been amazed by its straightforward interface for playing music wirelessly. Even better... it has an SPDIF output which I believe actually is bit perfect.

So, has anyone thought of taking this further by putting the guts of an airport express inside a case with a DAC?

I really want to take the Jambo DAC further by adding this and an LCD and remote control... if only I had time!!

May 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 6
I've discussed this with a fairly well known MOT. The original 802.11g version (at least) has the audio board as a daughter card, and given the receiver chip they use, you could theoretically replace it fairly easily with almost any usb audio card, if you're careful.

May 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 6
yes, but surely this would just be asking for trouble ie. EMI and RFI interference gallor. seems to me, inserting a source of noise/interference into a case that you have designed carefully to avoid noise/interference seems a little strange to me.

but then again, I dont get any interference from wifi with my iPhone 3G, so perhaps wifi as opposed to other sources of RFI is sufficiently beyond the bandwidths we use to be not a problem with audio?? dunno, perhaps someone more versed in such things will chime in. but the DAC IS shielded in the iphone and touch

May 2, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 6
you just move the antenna outside the case and isolate the sac portion. There are several wireless audio devices that sound pretty good.

May 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 6
yeah edited my post above to include such what-ifs while you were typing your reply
biggrin.gif
. for sure having the antenna outside would do nicely. wifi doesnt seem to be as bad as many transmissions; I suppose it has to do with the high frequency and low power

May 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the thoughts. Indeed the noise could be an issue but I'm sure it could be guarded against with some sensible design like the stuff mentioned previously.

I guess the airport express is pretty neat already and I could just plug it in and use an optical input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back