HI-FI returns, first experience with DIO
Apr 24, 2002 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ai0tron

Banned
I just got a DIO in the mail.

It was an immediate upgrade to my DV 444.

There are some identifable problems though.

So far I have experienced increased clarity throughout, more air and sapciousness, more detail, slightly more dynamic sound, weightier sound. The bass I think is slightly less deep but less recessed than the pioneer. And there is a strange sensation I get from the midrange sometimes at lower volumes, or on more complex kinds of sound, like a cello. I'm not sure what it is yet.

The overall result though is decidedly positive.

I may report more on it as I listen. I'm definatley going to mod it at some point.

Thumbs up to the DIO

"It's like perfection. Like no other, flawless, absolutely flawless."

I hope all you techno freaks recognize that.

Apr 24, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 16
I think I am hearing some powerline 'noise' Or the sort of fuzziness that I have associated with my old melos power cable.

And the Melos and HD600 have continued to prove that they will scale to a better source with ease.

Apr 24, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 16
ai0tron,
I just order the ART from fullcompass, i'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it, ART has an informative website http://www.artroch.com/main.html. I learned from it that the tube is not in the d->A signal path so shouldn't come in to play when listening to music, only for adding warmth to the signal when converting from a->d, recording to a hardrive for example. There was a review on the website that actually reccomended removing the tube to generate less heat and current draw, it'll probably give the component longer life but would probably void the warranty.

enjoy!

Apr 24, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 16
thanks session.

I plan on voiding the heck out of the warranty anyways so no worries there!

Let us know what you think about the DIO when you get it.

By the way, which source are you using?

Apr 24, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm using the Pioneer CLD-D704, it was the top of the line laserdisc player back in the dzay. and should make an awesome transport, it is immense weighs at least 15 kg so it should be pretty stable. I paid 1000 for it in 96. I can't wait to hear if the ART makes an improvement to the sound, as it is already pristine to my ears through the MOH to my hd 600. I'm definitely not in the market for a new source as i've recently spent over a kilobuck for the MOH so i'm going to have to live
wink.gif
with this setup until the pioneer dies. What mods are you going to do? power supply? From what i've been hearing that's the weak link in the ART chain.

Let us know if you hear a difference in sound with the tube in and out.

Apr 24, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 16
ai0tron, if you haven't done so, I highly recommend upgrading the power supply, it makes quite a difference. Improves the bass quite a bit and overall clarity, in my experience... also cheap upgrade, $20 or so (the stancor powersupply, I think you get it at www.alliedelec.com or some site like that, I forget... radioshack.com has it too but a little more expensive).

As for other tweaks on it, terminating the unused plugs didn't make any difference for me so that isn't important. Tube should be removed but I hear of certain arcing issues by removing the tube... I haven't done anything to prevent arcing it and my unit seems to be fine.

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 16
I think removing the tube added some clarity in the upper midrange and treble....

I dont know though I wasnt really paying attention after I removed it.

Actually, it pretty much sounds the same with the tube out. The best thing is the DIO is about 1,000 times cooler than it was with the tube so I'll just leave it out.

By the way I just put a piece of electrical tape over the tube socket to address those arcing issues. Hopefully that will prevent it.

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 16
i'm definitely hearing clipping hopefully this is reduced by the bolder cables, did anybody else hear this before introducing thes into the mix?

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #13 of 16
Define exactly what you mean by clipping.

Do you hear it with the DI/O set to external sync? If not, you've got the sampling rate set incorrectly, which will produce a noisy signal.

I have a hard time imagining that the Max can't handle the output of the DI/O, attenuator or not. I've heard a recent Cosmic that had no problem with an unattenuated signal.

Apr 26, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 16
the di/o is set to external sync, i hear distortion with high amplitude signals, for example the bass track on stereophile test cd 2 elicits a slapping sound in the opposite channel that would have been silent sans the ART. I think 7v may just be too hot for the MOH. If the bolder cables dont solve this problem the rig's going back to sender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back