Hi-Fi Choice DAC Shootout
Feb 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Robonaut

100+ Head-Fier
In the February 2009 issue of Hi-Fi Choice there is a comparison test between six different DACs.

The units tested are:

(1) Beresford TC-7510 (₤130)

(2) Cambridge Audio DacMagic (₤200)

(3) Heed Dactilus (₤300)

(4) Apogee Digital Mini-Dac (₤690)

(5) Lavry Engineering DA-10 (₤763)

(6) Cyrus DAC-X (₤1,200)

The conclusion is that the audible differences between them all are minimal.

The Beresford is felt to lack slightly in impact and refinement compared to the others.

The Cambridge is praised heavily, although at least one listener thought it was slightly dark in tonality.

The Heed is described as having good rhythm, a warm midrange, but slightly lacking in detail. It is also criticized for being the most bare bones of the group as far as features.

The Apogee is said to be better with smaller scale pieces; it seems to become constricted on more complex works.

The Lavry is criticized for being overly analytical, but praised for its sense of space and controlled bass.

The Cyrus was praised for its soundstaging and detail but criticized for a slight lack of dynamics and for softening the rawness of certain music.

Overall, the Cambridge gets the nod for its combination of sound, features, and price.

So, what are the forum's thoughts on this?

popcorn.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That the Beresford is the clear winner for anyone who want more bangs for their bucks
evil_smiley.gif

HM

Doesn't it say "The Beresford is felt to lack slightly in impact and refinement compared to the others."
Meaning all DACs in test, how is it a clear winner then?

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transport make big difference, so what did they use?

got any facts to back that up?

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 24
Yeah looking at that list I would guessed that the Cambridge DACMagic would have done the best as well.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, what are the forum's thoughts on this?

Did they listen through speakers or headphones?

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 24
Its pretty hard to run a test with £1K price difference between the gear, it almost always favours the 'bang for pound' end of the scale.

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 24
So the DACMagic does sound slightly better than the Beresford but the Beresford is better value (assuming you don't need connectors)?

Did they use the USB or optical of the DACMagic?

I know it's been asked elsewhere but I never saw anything approaching a real answer.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That the Beresford is the clear winner for anyone who want more bangs for their bucks
evil_smiley.gif

HM

Is that you again, Stanley?

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 24
Thanks 1UP.

Personally, regarding the point that they all sound similar, I would reserve judgement until I have tried those out with my DAC/amp/headphone. I have found differences in lavry,benchmark, stello.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back