Hi-Fi / Audio shop etiquette.
Jun 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Prokopton

New Head-Fier

Hello All,

I've decided to "take the plunge" into the world of HiFi audio and was wondering about what the do's and dont's are when shopping in a high end audio store.

I've always appreciated a good quality listening experience, but, up until now my purchases have been, (excluding a pair of Etymotic ER-4P's and very recently purchased MDR-V6's) have always been towards the lower end of the listening spectrum and my buying done through the Internet or from regular electronics stores - never from a store dedicated to selling higher end equipment.

I'm at a point now where I'd like to begin acquiring some better equipment.

Time spent reading postings here has been quite valuable in helping me think about how to go about this, and I realize that it'd be a great boon to be able to listen to a wider number of (good quality) headphones to establish a frame of reference before putting down more than $100 towards a purchase. 

So, I was wondering: what exactly is protocol like when one is shopping at a hi-fi store?
Will they have "floor samples" I can listen to before I buy? 
 Is there anything else I should I should know before heading in?
Can anyone recommend a good store in NYC?

I am much obliged in advance for your replies.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 5
Any good store will set up a demo for you, but arrange it in advance.
They will usually have samples of the most popular products already out on display and these will have had some breaking in but one of the biggest problems with headphones is the amount of time some ake to break in.
Again the better stores will do a 28 or 30 day return scheme so you get a better chance to evaluate them in your own home.

The only real etiquette is NOT to use their time and facilities then buy from an Internet warehouse that has none of their overheads, just to save a few bucks.

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 5
If you're looking for high-end headphones, drop in at B&H in NYC.

As for protocol, be friendly and ask before you use. Most salesmen are good and will steer you along. Also, B&H is an authorized retailer for pretty much everything and their prices are always in the ballpark. If they treat you right, give them a sale.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 5

Thanks to both of you for the responses,

I've bought from B&H on the web before, but have never been to their Manhattan location.  I'll actually be in the city on Monday, so I'll be sure to stop by there then.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Always bring your own music. 
Pay attention to return and exchange policies.
Ask if home demos are available.
Turn all tone controls to "0", make sure processing is off ie EQ's etc.
Do not let the salesman steer you, use your own judgment and tastes.
Expect the salesman to have the same product you decide to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back