Hi-Fi Article on MSNBC.com
Jul 11, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #16 of 18
So in theory, I suppose the ultimate speaker system for someone who just wants it to get out of the way and allow low-level detail through would be:
  1. vinyl, or perhaps SACD/DVD-A
  2. tube amp and preamp
  3. high-efficiency speakers

Anyone have a system like that?

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat

Tim,

you mean I haven't? I have listened to ribbon speakers for decades. Those Infinity RS 4.5s had EMIM ribbon midrange units and EMIT ribbon tweeters.
:insert smiley of your choice here:

no, not you lol...the writer of the article

Jul 11, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat

Joe,

I believe that's the sign of a truly accurate system: having so much resolution that you don't notice the details anymore, having so much resolution that the sonic picture becomes seamless, that all 100 instruments in your symphonic orchestra play together. And violins for example are supposed to blend sonically, it's a goal better orchestras are able to achieve: playing together and in unison. I know there are some systems that are so good at doing their hifi-stuff and that have such a busy sonic character that one is just overwhelmed by their ability to subjectively double the number of musicians to 200. But as I said: I believe the goal of audio systems is to disappear. I don't want to be impressed by what they do with the signal, by the effects and sonic fireworks they generate, I want to impressed by the fact how little I hear them, how immersive the musical experience is they allow. And it is possible to get this in one package: resolution, transparency and musicality. I honestly believe that these things are closely related. I want detail, absolutely, but I want all those details properly connected. And I believe headphones are capable of doing both: reproducing the musical performance as a whole while resolving subtle nuances at the same time.

May I suggest that this may actually the fault of the mastering process?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't think this kind of artificial crowdedness wouldn't get very far unless the recording is helping it along
very_evil_smiley.gif

So maybe the crowded presentation is more true to the recording
evil_smiley.gif

I guess you have to learn to ignore details as well as to attend to details... I'm having to learn that now with my etys... how to ignore details when you want to just listen to the music as a whole
smily_headphones1.gif
It seems that some people can't get past this stage, get disenchanted with HiFi in general, and turn back to cheapo MX buds or something (hint hint
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
)

Oh, and those Vandersteens are phase correct. Maybe *that's* the thing that speakers need for them to disappear from *your* ears?
smily_headphones1.gif
Single-driver speakers would by nature achieve that as a matter of course but it's nice to know there's an alternative...
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back