Hi, a 'new' head-fi user
Jun 23, 2020 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

silvershadelynx

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

although I have been a member for some time now, this is my first message. I love to listen to music. Mainly classical (Vivaldi) and electronic (Kraftwerk, Jarre) and (black) metal (Amon Amarth). I like good quality audio gear. I've build my own pair of electrostatic full-range loudspeakers (big panels) and I prefer this type of sound, although I still love my dynamic transmission-line 2-way DIY loudspeakers. (and use them often)

At home I use a < 5 euro headphone, because sooner or later I get broken leads. At work I use wireless bluetooth noise cancelling headphones, budget ones.

When listening to my loudspeakers, I exclusively use physical media: both vinyl and cd. I don't like streaming. When listening to my headphones, I use streaming as I only listen to metal music with headphones, as most metal music soundquality is rahter low which is unpleasant on my loudspeakers. So a bit of compression is no problem and cheap headphones is no problem either.

But sometimes I'm wondering how my records would sound on a good pair of headphones. It would be a good way to compare soundquality with my electrostatics too. Just to have a good reference. And sometimes it is just more practical, for instance when my girlfriend shares the room and we both want to listen to our own music at the same time.

So that's why I'm interested in a new pair of headphones. I have to dig into this thing first as I have no idea what would be a good choice.

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 35
For a 1st (and sometimes last) pair of decent headphones anyone could own without breaking the bank, I usually recommend the Sennheiser HD58X.

They sound good and can be driven without an amp, are well priced for what you get, are durable, its easy to find parts such as aftermarket cables and pads, and can be completely serviced by the end-user with zero tools. You can even replace the drivers just by popping them out.

The only thing to note is that they are open headphones, so not really ideal for out-of-home use, but for at-home listening you could do a lot worse.

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 35
Hi, thanks for your replies! It seems like the Sennheiser HD58X isn't available anymore in my country (The Netherlands). My budget would be something between 300 - 600 euro's I guess. I will try to read as much information as possible, but if I'm correct open headphones would deliver best quality? So that would be my choice then. How about wireless vs. wired - is there still a clear audible difference between these two?

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 35
Hi, yes at the moment I'm in the position to spend some money, and as I have a pair of electrostatic loudspeakers it would be nice to have a good / high quality pair of headphones for reference, even though maybe 50% of the records I will listen won't be of high quality.

I don't have a decicated headphone amp, I have a Quad 66 pre-amplifier which has no phono input. I have a MiniDSP DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 35
These are all general points, so I would recommend listening to gear before you buy, if there's an opportunity.

Open headphones are generally regarded as better, in regards to sonic performance. Of course depending on your listening environment, you may want to consider closed headphones if you need to block sound out, or keep sound in, and not bother the people sharing the same space as you.

In regards to wireless, Bluetooth codecs like LDAC allow very good performance, interms of transmission from a source device such as a phone, however some would say that nothing beats the audio quality from a wired connection. Finding a wireless audiophile headphone is possible, and Hifiman does make some notable models.

Finally I ask about your source gear, as you may want to consider a budget for your whole system, not just your headphones. Some headphones may require amping, depending on the efficiency of the models you are considering.

If you are interested in spending your entire budget on a headphone, you can look to makers such as ZMF, Focal and Hifiman for popular brands with well-received headphones around your price range. I would use this forum to read about some impressions, especially in relation to the types of music genres you listen to. Best of all, if you have a local store to audition, this is your best option.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 35
Just remember, you said that you were going to share space with someone. Open back headphones will leak out and bleed in. I own the HD58X myself and it's a great entry to hi-fi but I can use them only if there is no one else in the room I am in.

Open back are not "better" than closed, they are just different. Each has strength and weaknesses as well as generalities.

Dec 24, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 35
Hi again, it has been almost 3 years ago, but I still didn't decide which headphone to buy...

By reading several reviews I tend to buy a Sennheiser HD 600 as this seems to be a neutral headphone. I've read some quality issues about HifiMan, so I tend to prefer Sennheiser when it comes to durability. The HD 600 is affordable which makes it interesting. I think I don't like the idea of having an battery integrated in the headphone because eventually this will wear out and needs to be replaced. And it needs recharging.

But I'm not sure if the HD 600 would be a practical choice: I would like to be able to plug it into my MacBook air and listen to music. I think I will need a separate amplifier in order to get enough volume?

I want to use it only in my living room, where I always sit on the sofa, which is 5 meters separated from my electrostatic loudspeakers and amplifier, turntable and cd player. So I think most of the time when I listen to vinyl or cd, I will use my loudspeakers and I will mainly use the headphones with my laptop. Any suggestions if the HD 600 would be a good choice in this setup and if it would work without external amplifier? And if not, what portable amp / dac would you recommend? Or should I get a different headphone?

By the way - I prefer to listen / try the headphone before buying, but it seems that the local dealer only sells different Sennheiser models, not the HD 600.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 35
Do you still have the girlfriend? If so you should consider closed-back headphones or IEMs instead of open-back.

Does Amazon offer free returns in Belgium? If you narrow it down to a few pairs, that would be one way to try them out. You might even be happy with the first one you get, since the $300-$400 zone has a lot of great choices.

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 35
Hi thanks for your replies!

@earmonger: the girlfriend is still there. I decided to go for open back phones as this reduces the risk of pressure build up / feeling too warm. I want to be able to do some critical listening as well, and my girlfriend has noice cancellation in her own headphones so I think it won't be any issue. I won't buy from Amazon as I think this is an unethical company.

@diagonni: I won't buy earbuds as I think they are more dangerous tho the ears (hearing damage) and they are uncomfortable to me (one of my ears have a different shape than the other)

So I'm sure about the open back headphone. Just wondering if for instance Stax electrostatic headphones would be interesting? They are much more expensive, is there a big difference in sound character between the hd 600 and an electrostatic headphone?

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 35
Electrostatics are HEAVY. Almost a pound of equipment on your head. And they require a dedicated amp as well.

For open-backs I recommend Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. It was built as an improved HD600, with clearer lows and highs. Super comfortable, very light.
I have a MacBook Air, and while they improve with an amp, you can get plenty of volume from just the headphone jack.

Lots of reviews here and elsewhere -- you don't have to take my word for it. Outside Amazon, you can find them at pro audio stores.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 35
Hi thanks for your replies!

@earmonger: the girlfriend is still there. I decided to go for open back phones as this reduces the risk of pressure build up / feeling too warm. I want to be able to do some critical listening as well, and my girlfriend has noice cancellation in her own headphones so I think it won't be any issue. I won't buy from Amazon as I think this is an unethical company.

@diagonni: I won't buy earbuds as I think they are more dangerous tho the ears (hearing damage) and they are uncomfortable to me (one of my ears have a different shape than the other)

So I'm sure about the open back headphone. Just wondering if for instance Stax electrostatic headphones would be interesting? They are much more expensive, is there a big difference in sound character between the hd 600 and an electrostatic headphone?
Ah, okay. Whatever works for you!

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #15 of 35
@earmonger: thanks for the hint about the Audio Technica. It seems like an interesting option. After reading a few reviews the only problem / disadvantage I can come up with is its earcup and headband size: I guess I have a larger head size, and earcups and headband for the AT seem to be on the smaller size, compared to the other makes. Would this be a big deal you think?

I would prefer to try them out in a real shop, but after some online searching I didn't manage to find them in a not too far distanced shop. Would it be silly to just make a decision based on online reviews and buy it online without having tested and compared it yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back