HFBB : HeadFi Blue Book
Nov 6, 2005 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Dont have time for a long winded post right now
frown.gif

How about a HeadFi Blue-Book for all headphone and auxiliary gear? I am sure that HF is the leading headphone forum and it can only grow from here.

Please discuss...

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 15
It's a great idea, but two of the reasons why Kelly's bluebook is useful is that:

1. It is one source picking the numbers and
2. It describes what dealers are asking for the good (as opposed to its "value").

Otherwise, with some "bluebook" generated by head-fi, I wonder if too subjective and too many dissenting voices to really make it useful. Also someone has to take lead and just do 90% of the work on one of these things for it to actually happen...

Best,

-Jason

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 15
I believe it would be helpful. It would just take alot of work, but it wouldn't have to be all by one person. What if there was just a list of average going prices, that were taken from the For Sale: Forum?

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 15
or in this tread you name the headphone and the people here just tell you what they think and just average what they give you for the price. And just do hat for all them. This will prob take a while but itll be worth it.

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 15
...And by the time all the headphones, amps, cables, etc. get entered, new models come out from those companies and drive the used cost of the older stuff down.

So apart from spending many, many, many, many hours to get it setup, someone would have to be changing it continuously. Sorry, but not something I would want to do with all my (limited) spare time.

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 15
would be great, but doesnt seem viable at all.
frown.gif

If somehow prices could be recorded from FS threads, entered into a database, and then both an average price and the range of previous prices (e.g. $100-150) could be given, that would be great. Not too likely though.

Even if one person was assigned to each sub-forum, ie 1 person for Headphones, 1 for Amps, 1 for sources, 1 for cables...that would still be a monster of a job to keep it updated and complete.

oh well.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 15
Well, also take into account that FOTM gear costs more at certain times.

Certain gear will cost more at certain times so yeah.

This is a great idea, infact if each area was broken up for 10 people, it would work.

icon10.gif

I would be willing to help out!

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 15
The ER4-* comes into mind,

those things sell for anywhere between 100-225 and come with so many different things (different amounts of tips, filters and the occasional p-s converter)

I know there are other headphones that fluctuate quite a bit aswell

one mmust consider how they would score something like this

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Great idea!

If it developed into something large and trustworthy, it might then be restricted to contributors or used to support Head-fi in some other way.

I don't mean it wouldn't be great even if its commercial value were unexploited!

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 15
I thkn it's a great idea and I'd help as much as I could to acheive it.

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 15
I think one problem that could make a BB useful is that people edit their threads after a sale, so you can't tell what various items sold for. If you could, we'd all have a better idea of the typical sale price. Perhaps this is bad practice and should be discouraged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back