hfb - Zones - 150+ albums to hear in 2014 so far
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #17 of 81

Quote:
Weren't some of these (like DJ Sprinkles' comp of remixes) released in 2013, though?

Yeah, thanks for catching that. I'm actually compiling a list of 2013 albums I loved but discovered in 2014, and my wires got crossed at some point. I'll amend the list as I go.

I thought that Ambarchi album featured Kyle Bobby Dunn for a mo. Ever hear of him Muppetface? 

Yeah, I enjoy his works. Thanks for reminding me of him, as I somehow missed his new release for this year.

I've been listening to a lot of Adam Pacione lately. Another lovely drone artist.
Though Andrew Chalk is still my all time favorite classical drone master.

Hey man! What are your impressions on Opeth's Pale Communion?

Just a disclaimer: I've never really been an Opeth fan. Still, I listened to a few tracks of Pale Communion because everyone and their sister have been raving about it. To be honest it does certain things I personally can't stand in prog music, but it was still an intriguing enough album to make me want to sit down and give it a proper listen at some point. When I get the chance I'll try to give it a fair shake. Who knows, maybe I'll end up really liking it.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 81
Huh. Out of this entire list, I knew like 2 of the musicians... What is the majority of these? I dont listen to American pop music, sorta listen to Japanese pop music, and listen to mainly modern electronic from lesser known artists, and 70's-80's American pop and rock...

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 81
A music impression and discover? Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks for putting this together, my Spotify will be busy for a while!

I'll post along the "what are you currently listening to thread" as I work my way down the list so people can discover there as well.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #21 of 81
Great post. Really enjoyed reading it. I'd go for 'To Be Kind' as my top release of the year too. Can't beat the mighty SWANS. I'm also enjoying 'More Than Any Other Day' by Ought, 'Primitive And Deadly' by Earth and that Sharon Van Etton LP. There is a lot in your list that I've been meaning to check out.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 81
@MuppetFace

I've enjoyed reading your impressions of audio gear during my many months of research. It's nice to see your thoughts of music as well. I don't think I realized you were into metal (which accounts for roughly half of what I listen to, though I love nearly all genres) until now. Can't believe I haven't even heard of most of these bands!

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #24 of 81
Going to check out some of the electronics, never could listen to death metal for more than a minute. Thank you for putting so much time and thought into this MF!!

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 81
Thanks for a great list.  The fact that I am familiar with some of it, especially Agalloch, makes me more willing to explore the other stuff. Awesome job!

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #26 of 81

Just a disclaimer: I've never really been an Opeth fan. Still, I listened to a few tracks of Pale Communion because everyone and their sister have been raving about it. To be honest it does certain things I personally can't stand in prog music, but it was still an intriguing enough album to make me want to sit down and give it a proper listen at some point. When I get the chance I'll try to give it a fair shake. Who knows, maybe I'll end up really liking it.

I see! Ok, man, sounds fair to me! But I still hope you'll give Opeth a shot! Of course, their two last albums were totally different from what they did before, so having that in mind may be interesting! Thanks for the honest input!

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 81

Thats exactly how I felt, I currently waiting for the new Contortionist album for my 2014 prog metal fix.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 81
m-m-m-m-m-monster post!
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #30 of 81

I see! Ok, man, sounds fair to me! But I still hope you'll give Opeth a shot! Of course, their two last albums were totally different from what they did before, so having that in mind may be interesting! Thanks for the honest input!

Muppet isn't a bro she's a sister

Hi Muppet, great to see your latest post. Still loving the PoPol Vuh recommendation you gave me a year ago. For me some bands are timeless and Popol has become one of those bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back