HF2 vs. SR225
Feb 21, 2010 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Myriad

New Head-Fier
I'm rolling with a pair of SR225s right now but that HF2 b-stock sale is sorely tempting me. Most of the HF2 comparisons I've found have been with the SR325i and up so if there's anyone who has heard both a rundown would be greatly appreciated.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 13
You have no idea. Even the HF1 is a huge upgrade from the 225 in my opinion and the HF2 is a leap on top of that. If you get the chance to nab a pair, I would do so.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 13
I own an HF-2. I've never owned a 225, so I'll stick with what I know, notwithstanding the tremendous amount of positive buzz regarding the 225 as the best Prestige series headphone Grado has. I've owned the 325i, the RS-1 and the GS1K as well as my share of SR60s, SR80s and iGrados.

The SR80s were my first Grados, followed by the 325i. I like the RS1 and the GS1k for different purposes. The RS1 has a sweeter midrange; the GS1k has the wider soundstage with the jumbos and just plain slamming bass with bowls. Still, the HF2 has the best bass I've ever enjoyed from a Grado. Like the GS1k, it has recessed mids, but nowhere near as sharp/traumatic as with the GS1k. I like my mids slightly recessed, so there's room for a moderate EQ smile (full bass and HF sparkle). With the jumbos, the GS1k has too much of a drop in mids for my blood. You get much of it back with the bowls. The HF2 has enough similarity in that area to have provoked rumors that it's really a GS1k without the wooden overcoat/mushroom top. Others have called it a baby PS1k.

For classical, jazz, acoustic and other genres involving a lot of natural instruments, the RS1 is (in my opinion) the best Grado, except perhaps for the PS1k (which I've never heard). Natural instruments tend to have an HF roll-off that rewards headphones which emphasize mids, upper-mids, and lower treble. Stated another way, Grados are bright, unfiltered, open-air cans that do a great job of covering the higher end of the spectrum. On rock, heavy metal and electronica, the predominance of HF can leave listeners overwhelmed. For these styles, Grado needs a good rock-n-roll can, one with enough HF restraint to provide a balanced presentation - particularly when the phones are used unamped (My M^3 with variable bass boost could make any Grado a rock-n-roll phone).

Grado has two such cans, maybe three. The first is the old-reliable SR60, particularly with flats or comfies. With minimal ear/driver distance, the SR60 packs an amazing wallop and doesn't get overwhelmed by all that siss. The second (if the buzz is accurate) is the SR225, headphones I've never heard, but a pair whose fans rave about as the best value Grado has going. $200 is not a lot to pay for a decent set of headphones.

The HF-2 is, in my opinion, the ultimate Grado rocker. It has more refinement than any of the Prestige series cans I've owned and it has the most thump and slam of any Grado I've ever owned - the GS1k included. For all I know, it's a GS1k without the wooden overcoat. If so, it's tremendous value for the money. It isn't as rich in the upper mids as the RS1 but it's a great step between the RS1 and the GS1k, in terms of flat vs. recessed mids. It's a tribute to what you can do with a Grado, short of amping it. If the K-701 could produce bass like this, it would die from delight. The HF2 doesn't have that luxuriously wide soundstage, but what it lacks in soundstage, it makes up for in balance.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Only a fool wouldn't grab a pair of HF-2. They're a quality H.P. as stock, and I've had them modded to Vixens and they become even much, much better.

You should be aware that history could be repeated. In the days of HF-1, Todd held a similar "cleanup" sale.......and aprox the same number of pairs (as in this sale) were all gone literally in seconds. There were lot's of disappointed H. Fiers that day.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 13
I just hope that I'm able to nab a pair of HF2's for my dad, assuming he's not too cheap :p

Chances are, he will be, and he'll just stick with his SR325i's... but I'll still try to convert him!

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 13
What is "b-stock"? Sorry for the noob question. Thanks.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 13
Oh, and I have owned the SR225i's, prior to the RS1i's. If the HF2's are directly between the two, then for $350, they're the greatest deal to ever come out on head-fi yet.

Go for it, but only if you're fast enough ;D

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 13
I had planned to get one or rather, see if I could be one of those who managed to nab one in seconds, but when I read Bilavideo's impressions, I'm quite happy with my Ed8's to fill that niche. I'll be going with the RS1's instead.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is "b-stock"? Sorry for the noob question. Thanks.

Returned ones that have some flaw, that caused original owner to return it, wich does not affect usability or sound. Bad scratch on a cup or such possibly.

In any case, HF2 has stronger and more extended bass than SR225. Midrange is also more meaty and treble is less piercing than on SR225. SR225 is more rawer sounding, where HF2 is more refined. Its like a happy medium between SR and RS serie Grados. More refined than SR ones, but does not have that strong midrange coloration that RS ones have (atleast old buttoned versions had such). And add a good strong bass and you have HF2.

All in all, HF2 is one helluva headphone IMHO. The reason why I keep SR225 still around though is because of the rawer sound. It does add a nice bite to guitars.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 13
how's the "comfort" level on the HF2? I have a pair of SR-80s sitting in my closet and my biggest peeve with them are the comfort level. I have rather large ears and they didn't fully cover them and it would hurt my ears after maybe 2 hrs of listening

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by N0sferatu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's the "comfort" level on the HF2? I have a pair of SR-80s sitting in my closet and my biggest peeve with them are the comfort level. I have rather large ears and they didn't fully cover them and it would hurt my ears after maybe 2 hrs of listening

HF2 is much heavier so comfort is worse. But you should bend the headband looser so they wont squeeze your ears. SR-80 and HF2 arent fully circumaular so they wont cover ears fully anyway, it is squeezing pressure that is the problem mostly. Some have problems with ears touching the grill but that can be worked around by wearing them differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back