HF1
Mar 10, 2007 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

EdT

100+ Head-Fier
I know they are somewhere between a 325i and RS2/RS1, anyone have more photos of these ? Theres a pair going on eBay for over $330 now, is that insane ? I know they are collectors item with J. Grado signature, but their looks seems miss mismatched with the wooden button.

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 28
The Grado HF-1's were a special edition Grado made especially for Head-Fi.org, and was sold worldwide through TTVJ.com, one of the sponsors of this forum, for I believe $200 USD.

It is said that the HF-1's are a modified SR-225, and the wooden button represents the wooden air chamber that holds the drivers. The price of $330USD doesn't seem out of place, with most sales on this forum averaging around that price.

One thing of note though, there has been some threads about a scammer selling Grado's on eBay, that he/she either modifies with a cheaper driver or doesn't deliver at all. The scammer also happens to be pitching the HF-1's, so be forewarned. The best way to get a HF-1 in my opinion is to get it off the Forsale forums here, since this is where it all started anyways.

As for pictures, you can find tons of them here on Head-Fi. Just search for it.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is said that the HF-1's are a modified SR-225, and the wooden button represents the wooden air chamber that holds the drivers. .

Just to be clear, although the HF-1 is based on the 225, John Grado said that the drivers are different.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 28
If you want more information and/or pictures of the HF-1, search for and browse the threads here from the time when it was released. There's a huge amount of information about the HF-1 here.

Also, if you're interested in buying a pair, ask the seller what the serial number is then look up the official HF-1 serial number thread here. It will tell you the provenance of each pair and whether or not it may be a fake. You cannot be too careful these days.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 28
I find them to sound similar in some way to the 225, but they are very much altogether their own headphone. I find them the most enjoyable out of the Grado line, especially for simply plugging them into a headphone out of a standard portable.

Neil

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado HF-1's were a special edition Grado made especially for Head-Fi.org, and was sold worldwide through TTVJ.com, one of the sponsors of this forum, for I believe $200 USD.

It is said that the HF-1's are a modified SR-225, and the wooden button represents the wooden air chamber that holds the drivers. The price of $330USD doesn't seem out of place, with most sales on this forum averaging around that price.

One thing of note though, there has been some threads about a scammer selling Grado's on eBay, that he/she either modifies with a cheaper driver or doesn't deliver at all. The scammer also happens to be pitching the HF-1's, so be forewarned. The best way to get a HF-1 in my opinion is to get it off the Forsale forums here, since this is where it all started anyways.

As for pictures, you can find tons of them here on Head-Fi. Just search for it.

How does one check whether or not the drivers are authentic...aside from listening...

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 28
You can't really, maybe not even from listening. The only way of checking would be to send it to Grado Labs for verification.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 28
Lot's of HF-1s for sale in the FS sections... kind of sad really...

Most of the sellers on Head-fi are pretty reputable, plus you can always look at their feedbacks... it truly is an awesome headphone... if you can get one for a reasonable price...

These days fair seems to be about $300-350 from what I've seen. It's better than what they were selling for awhile back. Hopefully the price doesn't inflate too much in the future... it would be nice to pick up a second pair to mod when I have the cash...

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 28
Mar 26, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by humzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually those are both gone!

When I posted that they were still avaliable. Either way going rate is still in that area.

-Alex-

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they are somewhere between a 325i and RS2/RS1, anyone have more photos of these ? Theres a pair going on eBay for over $330 now, is that insane ? I know they are collectors item with J. Grado signature, but their looks seems miss mismatched with the wooden button.

most of the useful points have been mentioned on this thread..but found it humerous your comments on the design aspect of the mixed medium on the HF series..when your avy clearly depicts a 325i from Grado..which is too part metal part plastic.

How different is wood and plastic from metal and plastic, not a huge reach I imagine.

I find the HF's sound sig to be somwhat their own VS the other Grado phones though, and is hard to put your finger on the differences..but more funky in my opinion..and a different color of fuzz, more or less

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by humzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that some have gone for $400 +

I haven't seen any fetch that price. And wow, you have a pair listed for that much, what a coincidence!

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 28
There were probably some that sold for $400+ during the peak of the FOTM oh-my-goodness-how-will-I-get-my-hands-on-a-piece-of-headphone-history craze not too long after the the two runs were sold out.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $340 +/- $20 for a pair. Then again, I don't set the prices... It's all supply and demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back