HF-1's Hurting My Ears....
Feb 15, 2007 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nickknutson

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a pair of HF-1's with flat pads. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced sore ears from wearing them for long periods of time...2-3hrs. It's kinda hard to explain actually, it's more my ears are sore from them being pushed back for a long duration. Does anyone else get this?
frown.gif

I've ordered some bowl pads from Todd and I was wondering if those may relieve it.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 17
I know a cure.. It's this pm to jdimitri button and you get some cash along with the cure for sore ears

But it's just a grado thing, bowls are even more uncomfortable in the beginning

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 17
Give the bowls a try, most people seem to agree that the HF-1s sound best that way as well. Personally, bowls are really comfortable to my ears as long as they're not all squished up. Too soft and it puts the driver in contact with my ears, which hurts after a while

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you thought of investing in some C-Pads from larry? (www.headphile.com)

they do cost a bit, but they'd be comfortable as all hell.....

Are the C-Pads the same as the ones that are on DT770's? If so, my ears get crunched in those too. Are there any modded pads that are like the HD650's that can fit the HF-1?

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 17
Since Grado headphones are supra-aural (rest on the ears), it isn't a question of if you ears will become tender, it is a question of how long before your ears become tender. This varies a lot from one person to the next.

Bending the headband out such that the pressure exerted on your ears is lessened helps as lot, as does pad selection.

For me, a properly adjusted headband along with flat pads allows me to listen for upwards of 8 hours comfortably before I need to give my ears a rest. I can't go nearly as long with bowl pads - maybe 3 or 4 hours before needing a rest.

As others have mentioned, the headphile pads are an option. But those pads transform Grado headphones into something they weren't intended to be (only exception being the GS1000s, since they are indeed intended to be circumaural phones). As such, the sound signature changes, and you may not like that change in sound. Again, this opinion varies from person to person also.

Good luck.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 17
I have found the C-Pads from Larry to be very comfortable. That, plus bending the headband to relieve any excessive pressure should do the trick very nicely. Mine have leather ear pads, but I think the velour ones would be even more comfy.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 17
you should have ordered the SR60's with comfy-pads
tongue.gif

no really if there were just bowls that were 0,5cm (about 1/5" if I'm not mistaken) deeper, I'd be able to wear my grados as circumaural phones without anything touching my ear... are there any pads like that?

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 17
Nick, if the main source of the pain is based on the flats pressing your ears toward your head, the bowls may be exactly what you need. They're still supra-aural, but the concave shape allows most ears to sit inside, without being pressed down. For my ears, the bowls are almost circumaural.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nick, if the main source of the pain is based on the flats pressing your ears toward your head, the bowls may be exactly what you need. They're still supra-aural, but the concave shape allows most ears to sit inside, without being pressed down. For my ears, the bowls are almost circumaural.

I know, that's why I didn't give up on these right away and ordered some bowl pads. It seems that if the bowl pads have the same diameter or larger, my ears will fit inside them.
They'll be here tomorrow, so we'll see.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really diggin' the sound of these puppies! I hate to have to sell them over a silly little thing, yet important thing, like fit!!

I'll happily trade 'em for my very comfortable A900's
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 17
I third the bowls. As someone mentioned, they will be uncomfortable for the first couple weeks at least because the foam is going to be a bit firm, but after a while they will soften up. Maybe I just got accustomed to how they sound with bowls on, but changing the pads changes the sound enough to bother me... so definitely bowls for me. All subjective, of course.

For the time being, flex the headband a bit, it will definitely alleviate the pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back