HF-1 vs. Denon D2000? Opinions?
Jul 21, 2007 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

jellybones

500+ Head-Fier
So, I'm making this trade and wanted to get some opinions on the HF-1s. You don't hear a whole lot about the HF's these days. I'd definately look to get them woodied also.

How do you guys think they compare?

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I'm making this trade and wanted to get some opinions on the HF-1s. You don't hear a whole lot about the HF's these days. I'd definately look to get them woodied also.

How do you guys think they compare?

If your trade is for "collectable". I'd call go go ...
If not, this depends on the your preference since the sound's character of both are different.

wink.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they differ? What does one do better than the other?

The sound of HF-1 is the Grado's signature. If you like rock (guitar and drum), you will get it from Grados.

D2000, I think it can also rock but not like Grados. This can is good in general genre. It provides transparent details and extended soundstage by comparing to another one.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 31
I'm now fully convinced that my woodied hf1s sound better than any grado currently made, and on a par with PS1s. In the original plastic shell, they're good, but they're mostly just potential.

The D2000s sound pretty good, and are closed. If you need closed, don't get hf1s. They also apparently improve somewhat when they're woodied (or if you get D5000s) and balanced. But they're nowhere near on a par with the hf1s, if you don't need closed cans.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 31
Definitely go for the HF-1, they have a nice soundstage for a Grado too. The D2000 is available everywhere so if you have a chance on a pair of stock HF-1, just go for it, they sound better too but not up to PS-1 standard... even woodied. It's all about the bass and the vocals in the HHF-1, pretty intimate.

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 31
You might get disappointed with the trade. Imho Denons are way better and HF-1 are too overrated for what they deliver. (in stock form at least)
But, I'd love to hear your impressions when you get them.

Cheers.

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 31
I'm going for it for these reasons:

-HF-1's aren't that easy to come by. (1 of 480)
-Denon's are.
-Wanna try something new.

Can always sell if I don't like them, but I don't really see that happening.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll be disappointed with the trade. Imho Denons are way better and HF-1 are too overrated for what they deliver. (in stock form at least)
But, I'd love to hear your impressions when you get them.

Cheers.

HF-1 is not overrated, just how you appreciate it.

It's a collectible, Head-Fi/Grado piece of history. Its sound signature is very unique. It's not up to par with other high-ends like PS-1, GS1000, RS-1, or HP-1000, but when it comes to acoustic guitars, I haven't found anything can do better.

... Don't worry, you can still place an order for the D2000 in a few minutes, but you won't find many HF-1 flying by so often.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 31
i listened to the HF1 a few times, most recently at a meet this year. i had been using my RS1s for the better part of the day and when i came across an HF1 (all stock) thought it would be a good time to give them a listen. i played through about 4-5 songs on a CD, took them off, put back on my RS1, walked away, and have not been curious about them since. i'm sure they are decent headphones but probably do not compare that well with the higher tier grado models.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 31
It's always interesting to hear everyone's impressions on a certain headphone. I'm interested in the HF-1, just because it's not readily available as the D2000. But, in the end I'm sure the D2000 will be in my home one day
rs1smile.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm now fully convinced that my woodied hf1s sound better than any grado currently made, and on a par with PS1s. In the original plastic shell, they're good, but they're mostly just potential.

Yours look better than any Grado I've ever seen, too!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know I prefer my woodied HF-1 to any current Grado. I can definitely hear where others do some things better, but with the HF-1, the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its individual attributes. Everything comes together into a package that is exactly what I was looking for.

Having said that, I haven't heard the Denons, and probably the earliest I will might be the Boston meet. But I still think it's a good trade.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 31
Any I'm really looking forward to getting the AH-D2000's.
smily_headphones1.gif
jellybones will enjoy the HF-1's, of that I'm sure of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back