HF-1 Recable
Jan 20, 2007 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wlai

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone done a recable of the HF-1? Would like to know how you went about it, particularly great if you have step by step photos.

One of the things I really dislike about the HF-1 is that cheap feeling cable that kinks and twists. The sleeving is some uber cheap vinyl, doesn't flex well and really bothers me.

Headphile isn't doing just recable on these, otherwise I'll send it in.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 12
Did you check to see if Drew (Moon Audio) will do it? He has pics of RS-1 and 2, GS1000, and other Grado models, with his cabling installed.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the tip, I'll check into it.

Still interested in hearing from anyone who tried doing it themselves. Got all the parts, just need some pointers on how to open it up.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 12
Now, my HF-1 cable seem to be Hard & not flex, but it work fine

if I send to recable from Moon-audio, it's worth or not?

I mean the stock cable VS cardas cable (from moon audio)

who have experience please tell me
rs1smile.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Why not contact Ken at ALO? He has a HF-1 recabled with cryo cable that is his personal rig. I also read somewhere here that someone else had him recable some 325i that now sound unbelievably good. I know I've eyed getting the HF-1s just to have him recable them. Fortunately for my wallet, I need closed headphones at this point in time.

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 12
To be honest I dont see anything wrong with the stock cable. Actually I like it more than the zu cable for my HD650. Are you looking on improving the sound as well or just the looks and flex of the cable?

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 12
For me, it's to get rid of the annoying kinks in the cable that's more than just an eyesore. It just gets the cable in my way, scratches my chin, etc that annoys me. I know woodies Grado are hard to open, but has anyone tried a plastic housing Grado? I'm almost tempted to get a used SR-60 and see how they are put together...

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 12
The only pic I can offer is this:
52834565.jpg

It just takes a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun to losen the hot glue that holds the plastic cup on. Headwize has some pretty good directions here... you just want to heat the outside edge of the plastic while pulling the cup away from the driver.

My HF-1 is getting recabled very soon. If you still haven't done yours by then, I'll be sure to take pictures throughout the process.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HF-1 is getting recabled very soon. If you still haven't done yours by then, I'll be sure to take pictures throughout the process.

That's would be handy for me as well, since i'm planning to self woody mine, a few more pics of a decent size would help a lot
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back