HF-1: Headfier profiteering
Apr 21, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #241 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I understand the deeper cup improves the mids and bass, but I haven't compared them directly.

Your a lucky man gawk. Stunning cans. Just noticed the c-pads, i won't get those.

If i got them done, id get as much as i could afford, as they will only be modified once, and will cost me £30 to send back to the US.

I think i need to speak to larry
icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #242 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni
What is the difference with the deep housing over the standard one, as id still like to use mine as portables and not look like an alien, and spend the money saved from no deep housing on blackmaxx and a 3 inch band?

While I can't speak for Headphile woodies, I did make some DIY woodies. A good friend also has a pair of HF-1's, and while I did eventually woody his HF-1's as well, we sat down with both my modded cans and his then-stock cans to do some back-to-back comparisons. My woodies' dimensions were "eyeballed" from pictures of RS-1's and RS-2's, which makes them deeper than the stock HF-1's. The direct comparison illustrated deeper bass extension, an improved soundstage, slightly fuller mids and a little smoother treble presentation with a little less treble "sparkle." For both of us, the changes that resulted from the mods were aparant, and I know I wouldn't want to go back to the stock configuration.

And the best part? The mods were free! I had some scrap 4x4 Mahogany and access to a lathe, tung oil and lacquer. After a couple of hours I ended up with these:
1135644897_dscn3045.jpg

So while I love Larry's work, if you can't afford to have Headphile do the mods, go ahead and jump in and do it yourself. It was a very rewarding experience, and the results were very rewarding as well.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #243 of 245
how did you get a 325i headband?

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #244 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
While I can't speak for Headphile woodies, I did make some DIY woodies. A good friend also has a pair of HF-1's, and while I did eventually woody his HF-1's as well, we sat down with both my modded cans and his then-stock cans to do some back-to-back comparisons. My woodies' dimensions were "eyeballed" from pictures of RS-1's and RS-2's, which makes them deeper than the stock HF-1's. The direct comparison illustrated deeper bass extension, an improved soundstage, slightly fuller mids and a little smoother treble presentation with a little less treble "sparkle." For both of us, the changes that resulted from the mods were aparant, and I know I wouldn't want to go back to the stock configuration.

And the best part? The mods were free! I had some scrap 4x4 Mahogany and access to a lathe, tung oil and lacquer. After a couple of hours I ended up with these:
1135644897_dscn3045.jpg

So while I love Larry's work, if you can't afford to have Headphile do the mods, go ahead and jump in and do it yourself. It was a very rewarding experience, and the results were very rewarding as well.

hey congrats!
the thing really surprised me .. I've added you to my moddy emm buddy list

( hoo much fo da mod , bro' ? )
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #245 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
how did you get a 325i headband?

The only way I knew how... I sold my 325i's with my HF-1 headband!
rs1smile.gif

And yes, I was honest during the sale, and priced my 325i's accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back