HF-1 + C-Pads =
Oct 23, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #31 of 45
But we digress...
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone tried HF-1 with Zeta Bowl C-Pads?

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #32 of 45
im not saying their are a ripoff or audiophool equipment (sound rocks anyone?
biggrin.gif
) im just saying its kinda steep for $200 headphones, meh, i will try to come up with something, if not, ill just not use them as much as my DT990's or my K1000's

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
im just saying its kinda steep for $200 headphones,

It's not only for a $200 headphone. Keep in mind that when you upgrade your Grados, the C-pads will be with you every step of the way. E.g. 325i, RS-2, RS-1, PS-1, etc.

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
It's not only for a $200 headphone. Keep in mind that when you upgrade your Grados, the C-pads will be with you every step of the way. E.g. 325i, RS-2, RS-1, PS-1, etc.

Not quite true. There are TWO different models of the C-pad - one that fits the SR series cans (80, 125, 325i, etc.) and one that fits the RS series (HF-1, RS-2, RS-1, PS-1, etc.) They are not interchangable. If you've purchased C-pads for your SR-225 they will not fit your HF-1's. You'll have to buy a new set. Likewise, if you step up from the SR series fitted with C-pads to a RS-1, it's time to give Larry your credit card number again.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Not quite true. There are TWO different models of the C-pad - one that fits the SR series cans (80, 125, 325i, etc.) and one that fits the RS series (HF-1, RS-2, RS-1, PS-1, etc.) They are not interchangable. If you've purchased C-pads for your SR-225 they will not fit your HF-1's. You'll have to buy a new set. Likewise, if you step up from the SR series fitted with C-pads to a RS-1, it's time to give Larry your credit card number again.
biggrin.gif

Are you sure? I sounds like from his site that they just use different means of attatchment on the PS, RS, HF series as to not damage the driver housing. Why wouldn't the sticky tack method work also for the rest of the SR series? I can see why you wouldn't want to use your snap ons on your RS-1, but I don't see why you couldn't use your RS-1 pads on your Sr-225 etc

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #37 of 45
There are two types of Cpads when it comes to distance from the ears. they used to be called alpha and beta, i think now they're called zeta and...something? Anyhow I like zeta because they are closest to the ears, more of the "flats" than "bowls" sound.

Another wrinkle are the normal vs. ports option. normal gives you mini ports. it used to be NO ports, which was WAY bassy, hehe! but now you can get big ports too, with plugs to adjust the level of bass.

finally are the Prestige fit versus the blue-tak fit. Prestige just keeps the wood on the housing via natural tension. blue tak is...blue tak. ok, it's not really blue tak, but that's what i think when i squish my HP2s on the pads. oddly shaped cans like the PS-1 and RS-1 and HP2 need these kind of pads, but of course the sticky tak version works with all models, including the prestige models.

all pads come with Larry's black fabric over the drivers so your hairs don't poke thru, and if you look inside there are actually two different layers of wood in there i believe, to act as the ring for the beyer pads, and to act as the ring for the grado housings.

all in all this ain't rocket science, but it isn't lego blocks either. i'd pay less than a thousand, more than a buck, and so hey it's a hundred, cool.

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Are you sure? I sounds like from his site that they just use different means of attatchment on the PS, RS, HF series as to not damage the driver housing. Why wouldn't the sticky tack method work also for the rest of the SR series?

I think that you're right and I'm wrong. After re-reading the info on pad fit at Headphile it does seem that this is the case.

Quote:

I can see why you wouldn't want to use your snap ons on your RS-1, but I don't see why you couldn't use your RS-1 pads on your Sr-225 etc

The question here becomes why would you go from a RS-1 to a SR-225?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #39 of 45
The problem is this: The cost isn't easy to swallow but Grado's with C-pads are the prettiest damn headphones around.

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75
The problem is this: The cost isn't easy to swallow but Grado's with C-pads are the prettiest damn headphones around.

Personally i don't like the way they look ... but i've never heard them, so i might change my mind if the sound really good
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
I give you Scuba Steve's in-depth analysis on the whole pad situation:

Currently there are really 3 kinds of pads, Bowls, Flats(Grado Flats and 414), and the C-Pads.

Well what about the Grado comfies (that come on the SR-60)? And really the Flats, be it Todd's or Grados, are different than the HD414 pad. You should actually say there are 5 kinds of pads:

Bowls
Comfies (Grado or Radioshack)
Flats (Todd or OEM Grado)
HD414/VWAP
C-pad

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Well what about the Grado comfies (that come on the SR-60)? And really the Flats, be it Todd's or Grados, are different than the HD414 pad. You should actually say there are 5 kinds of pads:

Bowls
HD414/VWAP
C-pad

very_evil_smiley.gif

Throw in all of the cut-out mods and reverse configurations and things really start getting confusing.

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain

Bowls
HD414/VWAP
C-pad

very_evil_smiley.gif

Aight you caught me. But hey in-depth analysis has a very loose definion in my post

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #44 of 45
Hmm...I haven't even received my HF-1's yet, but these C-pads sound very interesting. Any recommendations on whether to get them with these ports or not? If it's the same price, and the port allow you to adjust the sound, why not? Is there any downside?

Also, any opinion on which wood looks best with the HF-1's?

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #45 of 45
I wasn't sure if I should kick this old thread or start another, but wanted to add my impressions. The HF-1 furor has definitely subsided so this might not be that relevant anymore but, here goes...

About a month ago I picked up some used C-pads for my HF-1. I believe these are the Zeta Bowls, although since I didn't buy them directly I'm not entirely sure. Looking at the Headphile site, it is a bit confusing. However, I'm pretty sure they are the Zeta Bowls and not the Zeta Flats.

My feelings about these are a bit mixed. When I first got the HF-1 I thought it was a bit uncomfortable. The headband was tight and the pads were scratchy. The C-pads are a definite improvement in comfort, although after wearing the headphones for a while the pads have softened up and the headband has stretched out a bit. So while the comfort is improved, the improvement doesn't seem as necessary as it once did.

In terms of looks, I also have mixed feelings. The stock bowls seem to complement the design of the HF-1s even though it does not show off the wood housing. The C-pads on the other hand are rather large, and although I like the way they allow you to see the good wood of the HF-1s they look a bit incongruous on the Grados.

My impressions of the sound are that it definitely makes a difference - not better or worse, but a difference nonetheless. Some have claimed that soundstage is bigger. I'm not sure, but maybe I don't really know what soundstage on headphones actually means. To me, it makes the sound larger, like the music is in a bigger room; it adds a reverb effect that while not unpleasant doesn't sound entirely natural. It has the effect of softening the highs a bit but at the expense of minute detail. With the stock bowl pads, detail retrieval is close to my Lambda Pros; with the C-Pads the sound is not quite as analytical. Highs are a bit more tamed, if less pronounced and bass becomes a touch bloomy. With the C-Pads everything seems a bit smeared.

Overall, I like the C-Pads because it's almost like having another headphone. However, if you like the high level of detail and intimate feeling the HF-1s provide these might not be to your liking. If on the other hand you find the HF-1s a bit uncomfortable and the highs a bit fatiguing these may be just what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back