HF-1 + C-Pads =
Oct 22, 2005 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Icy006

100+ Head-Fier
Number 245, in today.

hf-1_cpads_small.jpg

[size=xx-small]Oh, yes.[/size]

I've read that the HF-1 is bass-heavy, and very full and rich with bowls. I'm not a bowls guy. Regardless, I tried mine stock with bowls first. Hrm, wonderful warmth and air, but it still feels harsh on the high-end.

Flats, and it is very nice - but I miss some of the air from the bowls. It doesn't feel balanced.

*lightbulb!*

I dusted off my Alpha C-Pads, and popped 'em on.

Queued up Lightning Crashes by Live. I listened in quiet astonishment for a few moments. Next, I found a box of tissues.

No more talk, I need to do more listenin
blink.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 45
That's awesome, I really need to get some C-Pads for my Woody 225s. They show off the HF-1 wood areas nicely as well, nice contrast.

Ant

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 45
Yeah I like the sound of the c-pads with my HF-1 too. I like them with the HF-1 more than with any of my other Grados for some reason. I have the unported Betas.

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 45
if i had intended to keep the HF-1 as a home can, i would have put my CPads on em, put the reverse bowls back on the HP2, and rocked out with John and Joe!

what am i doing with SR325is? argh!

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 45
Ohh that makes me want some C-Pads soo bad, questions Zeta Flat or Zeta Bowl? Which does everyone prefer and what sound characteristics do they give?

Oct 22, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
what am i doing with SR325is? argh!

Good question
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 45
Aw, man. Seems the HF-1 opened up even more over the few hours I burned 'em in, and they gained some air naturally. This makes the alpha C-Pads a little bit overwhelmingly spacious. Still, the effect is truly amazing on some material - these babies image like no one's business. And the bass....damn.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Ohh that makes me want some C-Pads soo bad, questions Zeta Flat or Zeta Bowl? Which does everyone prefer and what sound characteristics do they give?

I have the original Alpha C-Pads. They've been discontinued due to, I believe, the same problem I'm having - a little too much of a good thing.

The current Zeta Bowls are supposedly closer to Bowl sound, and Zeta Flats closer to flats. That's more spacious / detailed high end and more hard-core impact and intimate (close) soundstage, respectively.

Speaking only for my alpha C-pads (which are similar to the Zeta Bowls), they retain the advantages of bowls without the burn in the high end (I'm not a bowls fan).

Does anyone have impressions from Zeta Bowls they've tried on these? I'm really curious if the Zeta Bowls nail it with a well burned-in pair.

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 45
I'm also very curious on this, I'm not quite ready to order C-pads for these yet but I'd love to hear someone's opinions of the Zeta Bowls and the Zeta Flats (and how they behave with different ports blocked), though I'm not sure if anyone but Larry would be able to do the comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 45
Can I just order the pads alone for the HF-1 or do I need the more expensive package to fit them on the headphones? Thanks!

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 45
I'am lazy to do a forum search, so bless my ignorance...But where can i buy these lovely pads?

I sound like a distressed teenage girl asking this quesiton!!
biggrin.gif
eek.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 45
So I guess I need to order the pads for the HF-1 directly from Beyer. If I do it via headphile I would have to pay for the wood part also. Am I correct here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back