Hey Tyll and Todd, what about the CDP?
Oct 1, 2001 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
Just wondering how you guys are doing with the development of your CD player, since I am starting to save in order to get one. Take care dudes.

Oct 2, 2001 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 29
You guys might be jumping the gun a little. After all, their new website isn't even ready yet...

Oct 2, 2001 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 29
Hey guys, where did Tyll mention the development of a HeadRoom pcdp? I thought it was put on the backburners due to lack of technology. To make a pcdp with improvement over today's crop, I thought they said they'd have to use a regular transport, which would make the size bulky, expensive, and have the battery life of a fruit fly. I may be wrong here...I haven't stayed abreast on the latest info.

Oct 2, 2001 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
Hey guys, where did Tyll mention the development of a HeadRoom pcdp? I thought it was put on the backburners due to lack of technology. To make a pcdp with improvement over today's crop, I thought they said they'd have to use a regular transport, which would make the size bulky, expensive, and have the battery life of a fruit fly. I may be wrong here...I haven't stayed abreast on the latest info.

They mentioned it like tree months ago on Headwize. I can see what you say Moo. Maybe instead of using a regular transport they can use a CD-ROM drive with DAE and some sort of DAC (wow, too many big letters). Whatever they use, the thing would be big for sure, but as for life battery maybe they can come uop with a battery pack of some sort.

But if they say they are not going to make it, then I guess I'll check the Marantz professional PCDP. It has digital and analog out, 10 seconds anti-skip (although I don't know if it can be played on any position), plays CD-RW and has a bunch of stuff I don't really need, but probably can find an use for it.

BTW, why do you have a gopher as an avatar? Just wondering.

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
...I guess I'll check the Marantz professional PCDP. It has digital and analog out, 10 seconds anti-skip (although I don't know if it can be played on any position), plays CD-RW and has a bunch of stuff I don't really need, but probably can find an use for it....

But isn't it bulky as hell??

Quote:

BTW, why do you have a gopher as an avatar? Just wondering.

Yea, you'd expect him to have a cow, wouldn't you...
Whatever I think its cool, keep it!

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena

But isn't it bulky as hell??

Yea, you'd expect him to have a cow, wouldn't you...
Whatever I think its cool, keep it!

Regarding the Marantz. Yes, it's bulky, but I allway carry either a big bag or a porfolio, so it's not really a problem. Besides, I'll use ¡t mostly in the office, nicely seated on my desk.

As for Moo, yeah, I would be expecting a cow instead. But the gopher is cool and cute. I was just curious since most avatars here tell a lot about the people who use them. And Moo, well, Moo allways goes Moo.

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 29
and he never did fess up to where his handle came from
frown.gif
(old headwize thread "where did you get your online name)
C'mon moo,come clean man

Oct 2, 2001 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 29
Hey, I like my avatar. But if confuses you too much, I'll change it to a cow. Don't want people thinking me weird or anything...

As for how I got my name, Chu locked the thread before I could divulge
evil_smiley.gif

I'll write a story about it sometime.

Oct 2, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 29
Would it be easy to just reverse engineer something like the rat shack 3400 or one of those Denon portables that get raved all over the place? Maybe getting it to play CD-RW, getting a simpler circuit and updating it so it plays compressed formats would not be so far fetched. I would gladly pay around 500 for something like that. As for battery life, we can allways use a rechargable battery case for that or maybe even a NiMH battery. Even if it gives only four hours of play time it would be okay for most of us. Linear or non compressed memory is also a must.

As for Moo's avatar: Man, you keep it. Just don't change it because you think we don't like it. I was just wondering about the gopher, but I really like it.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 29
Bof, compressed formats have no appeal to me 'cause I can hear the weaknesses all too easily even on cheap cans. Compression sort of defeats the purpose of an audiophile PCDP IMO. I think the magical price point would be around $250-$300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back