HEY??? This amp makes these cans sound great!!
Dec 13, 2002 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I was curious if anyone had some good examples of amp/cans that suprized you when you discovered how well they went together.

My example is Grado 225's with HeadRoom Total Airhead.

When I first got the Grado's, I was a bit disappointed. They were a bit bright on my home rig (X-Cans), and I really wasn't using them all that much. I had considered selling them.

Then one day, I took all my extra cans to work.

I finally settled on the Grado with my work rig (Sony D-25s and the aforementioned TA). WOW!! With the extra bass emphasis in the TA, I've found can/amp nirvana!! Better yet, I can listen at lower levels and benefit from the much-discussed "presence" of the Grados.

Can't say that I wasn't caught off guard by this one...but I'm thrilled.

biggrin.gif

Any similar stories out there???

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Yes. Good feeling when that happens.

In my experience, at almost any price/performance level, matching and synergy is very important.

Same cans, Stax 4040, different cables (all Stealth of course) with different sources that all sound good through speakers resulted in quite different sound, with the less expensive cables being more enjoyable with one CDP, a heavily modded Philips/Magnavox. As in discrete colpitts xtal osc, reclocking, extensive tiered regs, cascoded transformer I/V.

Different preferences/rankings listening with headphones over speakers...What knows why?

If it sounds good, it probably is...

Dec 14, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Grado and x-cans is one of the worst combinations around.My sr-225 sound better out of the headphone jack of my Philips Matchline TV than out of the X-cans
eek.gif
!

Dec 14, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 4
2 words: impedance mismatch

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back