Hey there, new guy here..
Apr 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

WhiteThanatos

New Head-Fier
Hi, I discovered this forum about a month or so ago, I had been looking around the board. At first I started with the Sony MDR-150, but they got relatively uncomfortable, so now I got the Senn HD 428.

These new Sennheiser sounds great, as compared to my old sony and before that..skullcandy, but now I've been looking for an upgrade, and I am not sure if Sennheiser HD555 would be better or not. My budget is probably below 100 dollars, since I have no job and a student atm.

Any recommendations would be great for a noob like me
frown.gif

Thanks

PS: I love browsing the threads around here, they made me learn alot of new things

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 31
If you're reasonably happy where you are, I'd say save up until you can afford a setup that's a solid step up from what you have now.

There are tons of great headphones in the 150-300 range.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 31
So going from Sennheiser HD428 to Senn HD555 would not be a worthwhile upgrade?
I'm not too sure because I still haven't had the chance to use alot of the good headphones.
It's not that I don't like iems, it's just that I find earbuds relatively uncomfortable, and full cans feels nice, unless iems aren't earbuds and don't feel like them.

Thanks for the advice so far though

EDIT: I listen to everything, but mainly metal and techno

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the neverending story called head-fi...we are all sorry bout' your wallet!
normal_smile .gif

Never thought about it but I now see how your avatar is relevant to this whole thing!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 31
Welcome to wallet hell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 31
I have the HD555's, and I think they are a solid all around can for most genres of music. There is a relatively simple foam removal mod that opens them up a lot, and put's them on par with the Sennheiser HD595's, as they have the same drivers.

They are however, a VERY open can.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 31
I don't think open cans would be a problem, I looked at Marximus' suggestions, AD700 looks pretty comfortable, I don't really prefer the padded headphones, since I tend to wear them for hours, and my experience with padded headphones were not great.

So right now I'm thinking about AD700 and HD555

And yeah...I don't have the money for wallet hell yet, hopefully not in a while either
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 31
Definitely the AD700s if the HD555 is your other consideration.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 31
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll most likely go with the AD700s.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 31
Be afraid, be very afraid this site will cause you to loose sleep, spend money and listen to music ignoring your loved one's. LOL Honestly it seems the AD700 may be a good bet for you. Welcome.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 31
I can't believe Im saying this, as I'm known on AVS as the AD700 fanboy...

AD700s are incredibly bass light, and they MIGHT fit VERY loose on your head, even after the rubberband mod. The pads are very comfy, but your ears might touch the drivers, which can be uncomfy. I had to give them up because of how uncomfortable theh were for me after all was said and done. I also did NOT like them for music. All my recent purchases are much better for me music-wise. The M50s > AD700.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 31
So I shouldn't get the AD700 and wait and get the M50 then?

And I already lose sleep listening to music as of now with my Sennheiser HD428 lol. Not sure how they compare to other headphones though, since these are the first proper ones I have and they sound VERY nice compared to what I had back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back