Hey there, new guy here..
Apr 23, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #16 of 31
Techno and Metal? I wholeheartedly recommend the best Grado you can afford. M50s are a good choice too but Grado gets a nod for your use, plus they're cheaper (SR60i)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #17 of 31
i would say grado's as well, but be wary that they have a sound signature you might not appreciate at first, especially coming from low-end sony's, which are typically overtly bright. try the sr-80's.

also new here, btw. sorta.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisftl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would say grado's as well, but be wary that they have a sound signature you might not appreciate at first, especially coming from low-end sony's, which are typically overtly bright. try the sr-80's.

also new here, btw. sorta.

Interesting you recommend the SR80s... I can't tell much difference at all between the two, they're definitely no less bright to my ears thats for sure. The newest "i" line SR60/80 and 125 come with the c-pads so maybe that's why they sound so much more similar now.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spud of Doom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here to suggest you consider Denon AH-D1001.

Forgot about those! Great suggestion.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #21 of 31
I think the Denon are a bit out of my league for now
frown.gif
but the grados I might consider, although they're on ear and I'm not too sure about how comfortable they can be.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #23 of 31
Read the 2 pages. For metal and techno, I'd go w/ m50 over ad700. You should be able to find stores w/ free shipping which would make it just below $100 if you're a US resident.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #24 of 31
So what're the choices right now? I'm pretty overwhelmed by the choices..

m50> Grado SR60 (orSR80?) > AD700 > HD555?

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteThanatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what're the choices right now? I'm pretty overwhelmed by the choices..

m50> Grado SR60 (orSR80?) > AD700 > HD555?

can you audition the above choices? i have heard them (sr60/80, AD700, m50) except the hd555 and they are all solid choices for metal for me... i'm not into techno sorry...

your ears will be the best judge of course...

key points: grado sr60/80 has great in your face sound, good for electric guitar sound. m50 has solid bass sound. ad700 airy, spacious sound. these are my relative impressions. YMMV of course. i will go to grado for metal. but my ears can't tolerate them past four hours...
normal_smile .gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting you recommend the SR80s... I can't tell much difference at all between the two, they're definitely no less bright to my ears thats for sure. The newest "i" line SR60/80 and 125 come with the c-pads so maybe that's why they sound so much more similar now.

oh my bad. i should have clarified. no, the sr80's don't sound bright to the sr60's, etc. i meant that lower-end sony's have a reputation of being unnecessarily bright (at least in my experience), and that the switch from sony to grado might be disappointing if that's what you're used to (which i assumed op is).

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #27 of 31
My old sony headphone just sounded really really bad when I got my HD428, but now I want to try to get something open air I guess, since I have my closed already, and I want to try out other headphones since I still don't really know alot of the stuff described here...but I'm still not sure about Grados since people say they sound nice but get uncomfortable. I'd prefer to have comfortable ones since I plan to wear them for hours. The sony hurt my head after 2 hours or so of wearing them and I hate to go through that experience again.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #28 of 31
Welcome to Head-Fi, and truly sorry about your wallet.

Wait, don't buy anything yet. It's cheaper to save, then buy the right pair of cans once than go through 3 or 4 successive iterations of headphones that don't quite deliver.

Go to a local or national Head-Fi meet and listen to a variety of headphones. Take your own CDs, SACDs or iPod with source material you are familiar with. There's no substitute for heads-on listening experience, and very few stores carry any significant variety of high-end headphones to get a reasonable comparison.

Truly high-end headphones like those mentioned require quality material (lossless, not MP3), quality sources and amplification to shine. This is a seriously expensive hobby.

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #29 of 31
I might just do that, but I still want to try more headphones out, since there really are no stores around here with stuff I can try out, and I don't think I can drive out to go to Head-Fi meets..

Anyways, thanks, but I just might go with the AD700 for now, since they look relatively comfortable. Cuz now that I checked the M50 are a bit more expensive than what I can really afford (after tax and shipping comes out to well above 100).

Thanks again for all the great suggestions, and hopefully in the future I'll be able to try them all, and you guys weren't kidding about my wallet, it's beyond empty now.
frown.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 31
Thread revival! So after all these suggestions..in the end I couldn't help it but get the HD555. I got it mainly because they were cheaper than the AD700, and after looking at other threads, I saw that I can mod these cans later on to something that's sort of like HD595? So yeah, thanks alot guys for the suggestions, hopefully I'll be able to try out other cans in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back