Hey parents! Recommend some preschool kids books.
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 31
I grew up with a Children's Encyclopedia. Had many fun pictures to look at; eventually I was able to read it someday and learn many fun facts from stories, about the planet, dinosaurs, insects, etc.
Wish I still had my set to take a picture, but my parents sold it off in a garage sale long ago.
When I was younger we'd keep it on my bed's book case right behind my head, my mother would read things in a exciting way to me; or I eventually got motivated enough to reread things for fun.

EDIT: Oh my! I think I found them! I really believe it was this set here; I guess it was made by Brittannica. I don't know about their current printings. But the one I had was this very one.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #18 of 31
Not a parent, but i have very very very fond memories of A.A MILNE books (did Winnie the Pooh) who also did some excellent poems. Even if your child isn't old enough to understand them, the rhythm of your voice can still provide much entertainment. Plus the illustration is fantastic. Beatrix Potter is also another excellent one, Peter Rabbit and all that.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #19 of 31
^^^ I was surprised as anything when he let me read him a Winnie the Pooh story last week. I mean, they're great stories, but they're a lot more text-heavy than he usually has patience for. I'll have to get some more.

Uncle Erik mentioned books with pictures of farm equipment. It's been pretty awesome the last few weeks, because the auction companies have been sending out flyers in the mail, loaded with pictures of tractors, combines, and other heavy equipment.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 31
Goodnight Moon comes to mind

and not sure if its been suggested, but Alexandra Day's "Carl" books (such as Carl Goes Shopping) have excellent illustrations/artwork/etc :
Good Dog, Carl

of Dr Suess:
The Lorax
The Sneetches and other stories
The Butter Battle Book
Oh, The Places You'll Go

The Polar Express might also be a good one, and you might look at some of the DK "Big Book of..." type books, very good photography and pictures in those, not a lot of text either

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 31
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com: The Complete Adventures of Curious George: H. A. Rey: Books

It teaches the alphabet, teaches linear thinking ("what's going to happen next?") and so on!

I see your scary curious george (the man with the yellow hat always freaked me out as a kid) and raise you:

Harold and the Purple Crayon
Amazon.com: Harold and the Purple Crayon 50th Anniversary Edition (Purple Crayon Books): Crockett Johnson: Books

<333333 it, and now want to go dig my copy (I own that book) out and revel in it....

also:
Amazon.com: Where the Wild Things Are: Maurice Sendak: Books

test of manliness for youngins, also will make that episode of Family Guy funnier when they get older
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also:
Amazon.com: Where the Wild Things Are: Maurice Sendak: Books

test of manliness for youngins, also will make that episode of Family Guy funnier when they get older
wink.gif

Where the Wild Things Are used to bore my son. Then, for a few weeks he liked it. Now it scares him. I expect he'll like it again in a few more months.

I'll check out the Carl books, and Harold and the Purple Crayon. Goodnight Moon is awesome indeed.

Someone suggested Grimm's tales - we've got the full set, though haven't started him on them yet.

We've got one Curious George book, and he sometimes likes it.

This is turning into a good shopping list!

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #25 of 31
No comments on my suggestion? xD
I know encyclopedias are outdated by the access of internet. (I wonder if the current generation has any idea what an encyclopedia is). But its a Children's Encyclopedia, does not have to be monitored as the net! With many pictures and fun facts.

I wonder why that set I nominated has not gotten a modern printing? Did all the Encyclopedia companies give up printing with the internet?
You can still get it slighty used from many sources; amazon; ebay.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #26 of 31
as great as Where the Wild Things Are is... my son always actually preferred In the Night Kitchen, which I actually find even creepier. in a good way.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No comments on my suggestion? xD

No slight intended.
beerchug.gif
That's a good call. I didn't have that set when I was a kid, but I had quite a few illustrated natural history and planetary geology books that had great pictures, and I spent a lot of time with those.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 31
The Runaway Bunny was one of my daughter's favorites back then. She's 18 now. Man, am I old.

Oh, and did anyone mention Goodnight, Moon?

Both by Margaret Wise Brown. Timeless books.

Wow, almost forgot The Napping House. Get it.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #30 of 31
Forgot to mention Roald Dahl - the kiddos just love him. Dahl also wrote a number of books and essays for adults. Some with rather adult themes, too.
smily_headphones1.gif
You might want to pick up a few for yourself, they're entertaining and hard to put down. But Dahl's works for children are some of the best.

Also completely forgot to mention Peter and the Wolf. You should be able to find books that come with a companion CD. That would be a good way to bond over books, music and headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back