Hey I just bought a pair of original Nautilus speakers!!!
Jan 30, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Lol, me too Jude, but I also think they look so evil, so devilishly cool.... like they are about to eat you. I guess it is the aggressive look.

I've got way too much "Not in MY living room" with my JBL L5's. I don't even want to think about something like that. She probably wouldn't even allow them by the pool.

Jan 30, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #47 of 65
Are those B&W horns for real, KR? Never saw those before.

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #48 of 65
I really want a pair of those B&Ws. They come with the electronic x-over. Such a bargain! They do look like something out of the original Alien movie. They probably leave a puddle of drool on the music room floor. Guess I will have to settle for the Nautilus 801s. Maybe someday.

Flumpus, what model are those speakers? I am shopping for some new satelites, and I like the cabinet design (except for the ports on the back).

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #49 of 65
Those speakers up there that Flumpus posted are called the Sonus Faber Amati Homage. Cool name huh.
cool.gif

But really, am I the only one that finds Sonus Faber speakers to look a bit funky? The cabinet shapes are just curved in the strangest areas.

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by mr_slacker
But you're all talking about budget speakers! My vote is for the new system from Wisdom Audio (Infinite Grande). $600000!!! Requires 24 channels of amplification!!!

Kharma

But that one may be a deal, as it is an active system and comes with its own amplification.

No, I don't want it. Not even if I won the lottery.

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
I really want a pair of those B&Ws. They come with the electronic x-over. Such a bargain! They do look like something out of the original Alien movie. They probably leave a puddle of drool on the music room floor. Guess I will have to settle for the Nautilus 801s. Maybe someday.

He he.. Yeah they are Really nice! And because of the pipes they have close to zero resonance.

I actually saw a program on Discovery Channel about the making of them
redface.gif
These things are really state of the art.

Notice the snail house that extends behind the bass?? The engineers originally wanted to make a straghit pipe like the on on the midranges and treble. Only problem was that it would have had to be about 5 meters long!!
eek.gif

Personally i love when form and function are mixed into beuty
smily_headphones1.gif

The 801 is not quite as good looking:

n801on.gif

I like the 800 better (its got a nicer foot and black leather on the front):

ACF4397.jpg

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #53 of 65
If I won the lottery, cost no object speakers would be 5 Martin-Logans. Not sure which models. They would have to fit a new house, which would have the living room laid out to suit. Or maybe even 7 for the new 7.1 movie stuff.
Plus 2 Velodyne F-18 subs for the LFE channel.

Better get another lottery ticket.

Seriously, I don't really like horns. There's something about them.

I cry all over myself over those big Electrostatics though. So clear, clean, bright in a good sense, bright as awake, aware. Quads and M-Ls just sound like music in the home should sound.

I don't want to start another of those arguments about as close to "Real" as you can get. My living room was never designed to be a concert venue of any type. If I want to go to a concert, I will. I want to listen to what the artist(s) and engineers put down. I want it to sound "GOOD".

No, it will never be a concert hall, not unless VR makes some incredible leaps, about the equivalent of from Icarus to Star Trek.

Oh well

Jan 31, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #57 of 65
I got to hear a lot of different speakers at CES and I gotta say Horns are it guys.I love Electrostats but only when driven by a tube amp.My Dad has a new set of Quads and Krells driving them, they sound awesome.I thought I could die in the room with those Horns being driven by those little ten watt Glass Amplifier Company amps.The sound was spectacular.I wanted to clap and some people in the room did.It was amazing.You have not heard hifi music until you have heard a low powered SET amp driving horns.

Jan 31, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #58 of 65
Flasken, you've got to see the 801s in person. The picture makes them look dull, but when you see the QUALITY of the craftsmenship on the 801 in person you just want to salivate. They're amazing gorgeous. The curved wood on the cabinets is like a fine art deco sculpture. They're awesome.

Oh, yes. Don't get me excited again with that kind of alluring thread title! (of course you got chewed out for buying Street Style headphones, so I should have known better.
wink.gif
)

Jan 31, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #59 of 65
The N801 are way too big for most living rooms, I've seen them in person last year in a HiFi show. They are slightly bigger then a washing machine, but with a big black ball on the top. They are so big and heavy that B&W only had one in the show and for that reason they weren't set up to any amp and CD player.

The show was taken place in a hotel, to be honest, it would have turned the building upside down if they had powered them up. The only room that was large enough for them had some Wilson Benesch speaks powered by a Chord amp with that new 64bit DAC, it was unreal to the point I didn't want to leave. I am going again this month and lets hope it's as good.

Jan 31, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #60 of 65
N801s are just the perfect size for nearfield listening! Better get them where you want them the first time, though! I haven't heard them yet, but I've auditioned their predecessors extensively. Their sound has always been as amazing as their apetite for power. Some day I may break down and go for the 802 or 803 with a pair of very good subwoofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back