Hey I just bought a pair of original Nautilus speakers!!!
Jan 29, 2002 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
ACF3EF9.jpg

So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Jan 29, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 65
They are the top B&W model. And yes I AM just kidding. They probably cost a million bucks serious.
eek.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 65
These things are quite amazing. I wonder if they will ever make closed headphones shaped like snails??? Could be the ultimate in non-distortion....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

headphones shaped like snail shells... hmmm everyone who wore those would look like princess leia oh well, at least they'd sound great

Nah, they'd look like those monkeys from Planet of the Apes!

f6_attar_slide1_v.jpg

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
The B&W's look really cool, but the spikes are a bit much, IMO.

Those spikes would be perfect for a B-movie climax. Earlier in the movie you would see a closeup of the spikes, knowing that something was going to happen with them later on. In the final scene, the bad guy is fighting with the good guy on a loft above the living room, when suddenly the bad guy falls over the railing and lands on the speaker...

wink.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Raymond Kim
Nah, they'd look like those monkeys from Planet of the Apes!

Those are apes, not monkeys! They're not the same thing....
wink.gif

You should know that, judging by your avatar.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I think they cost a mere $60,000 a pair but you need about 4 Krell Power amps for them as well.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And a 2,000 megawatt nuclear plant.

Reminds me of the old AR LSTs for power hungry.

Jan 29, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 65
Actually, they cost £35,000 to be exact, all handmade and made on order. You don't need 4 Krell amps to drive, them but you do need the best of ampification you can get your hands on. which means £20,000 would be my minimum to get the best of out them. And of course, there would be the £10,000 source CD or vinyl, but SACD would be cheaper, £5000 for a Marantz. And we haven't gone on to cables yet, I say, you'll need £80,000 to get a balance system with these speakers.

And I would built a room just for them to make them sound their best, the thing is that the room would probably cost less to built then the speakers itself.

Jan 29, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 65
From what I understand, each speaker has 2 amplifier inputs for biamping, so you need 4 amplifiers (or 8 monoblocks) to drive the speakers.

Though personally, I would go with the Acapella Spharöns, at a mere $200,000 a pair
smily_headphones1.gif
...And drive them with 1 watt too...

spharon.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back