Hey guys, looking for something to use while running and general outdoor activity
Dec 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #16 of 34

Quote:
I'm confused, what are a nice pair of IEMs mainly used for then?  Commuting or something?

Well you could use a high-end IEM for intense exercices such as running, but it is really worth damaging them when you can simply use a decent (cheaper) pair, which will still sound good. 

Personaly I think a nice pair of IEMs should be used for anything but heavy exercice. I use them to cummute, walk, do outdoor activities, listen at home : pretty much everything but running which I do 2-3 times a week. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 34
100% agree

Quote:
Well you could use a high-end IEM for intense exercices such as running, but it is really worth damaging them when you can simply use a decent (cheaper) pair, which will still sound good. 

Personaly I think a nice pair of IEMs should be used for anything but heavy exercice. I use them to cummute, walk, do outdoor activities, listen at home : pretty much everything but running which I do 2-3 times a week. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 34

Quote:
I'm confused, what are a nice pair of IEMs mainly used for then?  Commuting or something?

Pretty much for on-the-go. Hiking is fine, but anything that causes intensive sweating (like running or working out if you are really intense with it) might cause damage to the interior of the IEM.

Though of course, I have heard you can rinse it with distill water and dry it out to rinse out the salt particles in the IEM from the sweat... but hey, I am not giving that a shot with expensive IEMs.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 34
Alright, so I've made up my mind.  I'm going to grab a cheap(er) pair of earphones for when I run and a nice pair of IEMs for working out (I'm not too intense just yet), hiking, walking, etc.  So, any suggestions?  TF-10s still a good idea?  They're still on sale!  Also any comments on the Westone 3's vs TF10s?

Edit: The cheaper pair of earphones I could also use for working out if I feel I am damaging the nicer pair in any way what-so-ever.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #21 of 34
Mainly it's just the horrible cable that's getting me.  The fit issues on the forums are from a lot of people who bought them on sale and have no idea how to insert them properly.  Or, at least that's what I've noticed.  From my understanding there's a specific way to insert the TF10s in order to get a proper fit/seal.  Thanks for the opinion though.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 34

Quote:
Mainly it's just the horrible cable that's getting me.  The fit issues on the forums are from a lot of people who bought them on sale and have no idea how to insert them properly.  Or, at least that's what I've noticed.  From my understanding there's a specific way to insert the TF10s in order to get a proper fit/seal.  Thanks for the opinion though.

I bought a pair of TF10's and I should get them within a few days, i'll give my opinion on them once I get them. 

I've read a lot about them and I can't wait to try them out, I mostly heard good things about them (except for the cable and the fit which seems hard to get for some). 

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #23 of 34
I found those ear hanger headphones are best for outdoor activity. They are open design, so safer than IEMs. They stay on ears very well.
I suggest the cheap koss ksc75, you can do kramer mod to improve sound quality. I think the modded ksc75s are on par with tf10s.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
I found those ear hanger headphones are best for outdoor activity. They are open design, so safer than IEMs. They stay on ears very well.
I suggest the cheap koss ksc75, you can do kramer mod to improve sound quality. I think the modded ksc75s are on par with tf10s.

I'm not looking to mod anything, I'm not particularly good at it and I don't like doing it.  Also, I'd much rather some IEMs than ear hangers, much more convenient for me.  The safety thing, well that's only an issue if I'm incapable of determining a comfortable sound in a quiet environment first.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 34
I agree with Poak about not wanting to ruin your expensive iem's with sweat.  For running, I really like the Meelectronics M6 or M6P.  They are affordable so you don't have to worry about damaging your expensive iems; but, best of all, you can put them in your ears at the start of  your run and not have to touch them.  With other iem's, I find myself fidgeting with them at some point during the run--which is super annoying.  Even when you sweat, they stay put.  I love the M6's and have recommended them to friends who run and they like them, too.  Also, the microphonics from the cord are minimal or non-existent (another unpleasant distraction during a run -- especially with use of the shirt clip which is included.  For the price, you can't go wrong.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
I agree with Poak about not wanting to ruin your expensive iem's with sweat.  For running, I really like the Meelectronics M6 or M6P.  They are affordable so you don't have to worry about damaging your expensive iems; but, best of all, you can put them in your ears at the start of  your run and not have to touch them.  With other iem's, I find myself fidgeting with them at some point during the run--which is super annoying.  Even when you sweat, they stay put.  I love the M6's and have recommended them to friends who run and they like them, too.  Also, the microphonics from the cord are minimal or non-existent (another unpleasant distraction during a run -- especially with use of the shirt clip which is included.  For the price, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably pick up those - they look just fine for my athletic activities.

Now, any suggestions on high end IEMs for my more relaxing hobbies?  TF10s worth the investment?

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #27 of 34
You might think the highs of the TF10 are a little harsh, I just call it sparkly 
biggrin.gif
. But honestly they are very high up on my list of favorite headphones it is for sure a high end IEM when it comes to sound but not price. I do plan on getting them reshelled very soon after a year of heavy use and call that my final IEM (at least for awhile).

List out some of your favorite music that will help us help you find some alternatives.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
You might think the highs of the TF10 are a little harsh, I just call it sparkly 
biggrin.gif
. But honestly they are very high up on my list of favorite headphones it is for sure a high end IEM when it comes to sound but not price. I do plan on getting them reshelled very soon after a year of heavy use and call that my final IEM (at least for awhile).

List out some of your favorite music that will help us help you find some alternatives.

Some of my favorite music.  Well, I'm big into symphonic metal.  I like ambient music.  I also listen to a lot of progressive/power metal.  I listen to some progressive rock and art rock, a LITTLE bit of pop, and I've got a huge soft spot for Sopranos.  Female singers just have a way with me, I can't get over it.  Tarja Turunen, the ex-vocalist of Nightwish, is by far one of my favorite vocalists if that gives you anything to work with.  I don't really listen to classical or anything on the go, so that's probably what I'd listen to while doing something.  I hope this helps.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #29 of 34
I have a pair of the TF10s and Shure 535. I have used both extensively while running, hiking, basketball, working out, you name it.

The TF10s are not as bad as they are made out to be fit wise, you can make it work, it just takes more time for certain people with smaller ears. Just wear them behind the ear and it would be fine. Considering the bargain they are going for, I think it's a good investment. They stay secure while I run, and they sound great. I wouldn't be worried about sweat damaging them honestly. I sweat a lot, way more than the average person, I have people tell me this all the time while playing basketball when they have to guard me, haha.

I have never had an issue with any IEM due to sweat, even for marathon sweats (over 2 or 3 hours). The Shures sometimes would have some shorting out issues due to the connection on the detachable cable, but that would only be like an hour or more into a sweat. After drying (or if I detached the cable and aired out the two ends), they would be fine.

In other words, my recommendation is for the TF10. If you are looking for a versatile IEM, this is a great value. It's cheap enough that I wouldn't be panicking about damaging them anyway, which I assure you that you wont. The cable is the perfect length too, not too long that it gets in the way. I clip my Sansa clip to my waist band and it's secure and the perfect length.

Also, I disagree that the highs are harsh, I think they are perfect. It sounds like you care about fidelity, or you wouldn't be stating your top two choices as a TF10 and a westone 3. I'd recommend getting something that will please you sonically as well as functionally, rather than be overly concerned about damaging a higher end product.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #30 of 34
Think about it, IEMs are used on stage by musicians. Some of them tend to sweat during a marathon rock concert. I don't agree that they are as sensative to sweat damage as some have suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back