Hey guys, looking for something to use while running and general outdoor activity
Dec 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Xandal

New Head-Fier
I've been considering getting a pair of portable headphones that I could use for walking to and from class and other stuff but I figured they wouldn't be too good for working out so I think I'm going to go with Earphones or IEMs.

Anyway, I'd like to keep the purchase under 200 (though I can spring for a bit more if it's REALLY worth it).

I've been considering the TF10s as they're on sale right now for a steal, but I've read they're not necessarily the most comfortable headphones and that they have cable issues.  Also, I've read around a bit that the Westone 3's (I think) are a better buy.

I listen to a lot of different kinds of music and would prefer my mids to not be drowned out by the bass.  And I don't want really harsh highs.  I think that's about the only kind of preferences I have.

So if anyone can make some recommendations, maybe send me some insightful reviews/comparisons, that would be amazing.  Thanks in advance.

- Zack

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 34
Personally, I don't have the TF10 to make a call on how it feels to be "running" with them. But from what my friend is experiencing (and just the manner of wearing it as well!), I really doubt those will stay in your ears for a good run.

Currently, I am using my good ol' SE425 as my sports earphones. They fit well and stay well. However, I am worried about the sweat accumulation (which is why I don't dare to use my more expensive IEMs), so I'll probably sacrifice a bit of quality for a "sweatproof" or "waterproof" earphones that are being advertised.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 34
I own the TF10 and I don't think they'll work well for running. Even with a good fit, they probably won't stand up well to the consistent bouncing and you'll have to keep pushing them in during the run. I used to own the Super.Fi 5 and they did not do well with moisture. The inner workings of the IEM and the cable oxidized and I had to get a replacement. Not sure the TF10 are better at this.

Additionally, the seal may be too good; it's dangerous running outside without hearing your surroundings at all.

I'd honestly get some cheaper ones that you don't mind breaking and save your high fidelity listening time for the couch or desk. :)

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 34
I own HD 555s and intend on upgrading to another nice pair of full open-back headphones for the kind of music I listen to while I'm at my desk/chair.  Right now I'm looking for some high quality earphones for working out, running, and obviously walking to and from class.  Worst case scenario I can use them mainly for the latter and less for the athletic stuff.  Some suggestions would be amazing.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 34
I've worked out with the TF10s and they stay in the ear, but I don't think I would recommend them. Comfort wise it's not problem and the memory wire is pretty decent, but not sure if it would be ok for running.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 34
These IEMs fit well and stay in ear with good isolation and they are here like E_Q7, E_Q5, SM2, GR8, GR10, B&W C5, Westone 2, JVC FX500, GR07, EX600 are recommended.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 34
I hate to pester, but is there any way you could narrow the list a little bit?  Ones that typically stand up better to wear/tear, ones that have the best mids, ones that don't have so much bass it drowns out the mids, and I think that's about it.  I'll do all of the research on them if I have to, but getting a list of 10 different earphones where some will obviously outperform the others is a bit of a pain.  

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 34
Personally, I use my klipsch image S4 while running and these stay in my ears. On the other hand, their sound doesn't fit what you're asking for. 

I really suggest not using a high-end IEM for running, because it'll probably damage them over time. Just get a decent pair which gives you a good seal, are lightweight and have little to no microphonics. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 34
So running with IEMs is just a bad idea?  How about IEMs for hiking, walking to class, and working out?  I really see no need to wear IEMs while in my home as I'm going to be investing in some really nice full headphones soon.  I'm looking for something that can be pretty much all outdoors.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 34
 A lot of people have cheaper backup IEMs for use exercising (I use SE110 and FX300) cause exercise doesn't bode well for IEMs. That being said I think that Westones would be better than TF10 s they are much more comfortable, feel like they can take more abuse, and have a 2 year warranty (just be sure to get a black cable cause white turns green with sweat).

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #14 of 34
If you are interested I have a pair of the Klipsch image x10 that I got on the Gold Box deal that I would be willing to sell. In my opinion they would be a good iem for exercising and walking. You definitely won't get the quality of the Westone 3 but you also wouldn't have to pay the price, lol. They have excellent isolation, small, lightweight, and won't fall out. I have some TF10s as well and I will echo the point that they probably wouldn't do good for lots of activity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back