HEV90 VS Other Options
Jan 31, 2006 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
Hopefully someone here can help me out, but there seems to be sparse information on this subject:

To HEV90 or Not? I was hoping by this point some impressions of the long awaited (and still awaiting) Aristaeus would have been forthcoming, but alas, nothing. I have had an opportunity to buy an HEV90 (to accompany my soon to be had HE90) for some time now. However, I am a little hesitant to buy this based on the fact that there may be other 'wiser' options (since when did that ever have anything to do with an 10K impulse buy?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Anywho, does anybody out there (you know who you are...) have any suggestions/advice to give me? Do I get the HE90 and wait? I am also wondering how the HE60's will work through the HEV. Since the Bias voltage on the HEV90 is lower than on the HEV70.

Thanks!
Neil

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 53
Mikhail will be introducing the Singlepower ES-1, which has been designed to drive the HE90, at the meet in New Jersey on February 12th. I have also seen posts that Justin of Headamp is "close" to completing his new electrostatic amp. My suggestion is to wait a few more weeks.

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 53
The He60s out of the HEV90 is the best I have heard them.
The singlepower ES1 should be at the Jersey meet on 2/12,so impressions will be forthcoming.
Have some NY members waiting on the Headamp amp,once that happens I am sure a mini-meet will be put together to get all the amps in one place for comparison.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
The He60s out of the HEV90 is the best I have heard them.

Me too. Taken on its own merit, the HEV-90 amp makes beautiful music.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 53
I would wait. While I'm sure HE90 and HEV90 achieve a special synergy that may not be heard with any other component combinations, the forthcoming amps may prove to be equally good (though perhaps on different levels) or even better in certain regards. Headamp's "HEV90 Modernized" Aristaeus should be in Alex's (ayt999's) hands soon enough and Singlepower's ES-1 will also make its official debut shortly. Unless the window for the deal is fleeting I would wait, but I'm more sensible than you, remember?
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 53
personally if i had a shot at a HEV90 and had the money and the need, i'd jump on it. who knows if these newer amps will be better? and if they are not, the HEV90 deal might dry up quick. plus, there's nothing like the original!
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 53
Big problem with the HEV90 is that it's not the leap of quality that you might expect, even factoring in diminishing returns, from using the SRM-007t for example. I would say wait for the 'clone' or the other options, unless the looks are key.

Edit: Forgot "matching total system value" as another reason for getting it.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 53
Up to now, the HE90/HEV90 is the best electrostatic combo I've heard. The HE90 never sounded so good as with it's blood sibling, imo.

The newer amps may perform well, but they're still basically vaporware at the time of this writing. And even if new production models do match or surpass the original Sennheiser amp, the aesthetic quality & rarity make the HEV90 a sound (pun intended) purchase, if you can afford it.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 53
The way I gather from the above responses, people don't seem to agree very much do they?
confused.gif

I'll have to think it over, but I'm leaning in the direction of getting it. Part of me, on a psychological level would really like to have the full combo (considering what I'd be paying regardless since I'd need an amp anyway, and it'll be at least $1200 (007t) or more). Additionally, knowing myself, even if the ES-1 or the Aristaeus is better, I won't 'know' that and seeing as AYT999 will have the Headamp offering soon, it would make a great comparison to have the HEV90 along for comparisons.

Neil

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 53
I received a new McAlister EA-4 electrostatic headphone amp. a few days ago, and briefly used it to drive my HE90, and Koss ESP/950 headphones. The amp. performed flawlessly. This McAlister amp., which costs a bit over $700, can be used to simultaneously drive two Stax headphones, an HE90, and an ESP/950, thereby permiting convenient comparisons of such headphones. By using an HE60/Stax adapter, this amp. can also drive an HE60. I plan to bring this amp. to the upcoming South Florida meet, which will take place in Miami in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, this McAlister amp's performance will match or exceed that of Stax amps. that may also brought to this meet. While cosmetically this McAlister amp. is not comparable to the fine finish and lettering of typical SinglePower amps, I hope that its performance will be comparable to that of the newly emerging multi-thousand dollar amps.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
The way I gather from the above responses, people don't seem to agree very much do they?
confused.gif

I'll have to think it over, but I'm leaning in the direction of getting it. Part of me, on a psychological level would really like to have the full combo (considering what I'd be paying regardless since I'd need an amp anyway, and it'll be at least $1200 (007t) or more). Additionally, knowing myself, even if the ES-1 or the Aristaeus is better, I won't 'know' that and seeing as AYT999 will have the Headamp offering soon, it would make a great comparison to have the HEV90 along for comparisons.

Neil

The one thing that is guaranteed is the HEV90 is the soulmate to the HE90s
I can tell you that for sure
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 53
I have used the HE90 extensively with both the HEV90 and the SRM-007t (as I own both). The HEV90 is a better match than the Stax amp. The sound is clearer, more "natural" - trebles are sharp but not aggressive, the bass is much more defined... To me there is no comparison.

The only issue I have with the HEV90 (aside from the price) is the volume knob, which I find does not provide sufficient control and L/R balance at low levels.

I have not heard any other amps with the HEV90.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 53
Fab Audio makes a SET amp for electrostatics that is quite stunning.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back