Here's my symphony collection; what else should I get?
Nov 23, 2002 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
Here's my (small) collection:

Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture (Kunzel/Telarc)
Holst: The Planets (Dutoit/Penguin)
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition (Oue/Reference)
Dvorak: 8th, 9th Symphonies (Fischer/Philips)
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring (Bernstein/Sony)
Stravinsky: The Firebird (Boulez/DG)
Wagner: Overtures and Preludes (DG)
Bruckner: 8th Symphony (Knappertsbusch/DG)
Bruckner: 9th Symphony (Skrowaczewski/Reference)
Mahler: 1st Symphony (Bernstein/DG)
Mahler: 3rd Symphony (Salonen/DG)
Mahler: 5th Symphony (Karajan/DG)
Mahler: 6th Symphony (Karajan/DG)
Mahler: 9th Symphony (Bernstein/DG)
Beethoven: 1st-9th Symphonies (Klemperer/EMI)
Beethoven: 5th, 7th Symphonies (Kleiber/DG)
Beethoven: 9th Symphony (Karajan/DG)
Shostakovich: 5th, 9th Symphonies (Bernstein/Sony)
Shostakovich: 1st, 7th Symphonies (Bernstein/DG)
Shostakovich: 8th Symphony (Jansons/EMI)

So far classical music has been the best investment I've ever made! Every one of these disks is outstanding in my opinion. Right now I'm planning on getting all of Mahler's symphonies and all of Shostakovich's symphonies. Can you guys recommend some more recordings that I should look at? I really like the more dramatic works the most (though less dramatic is okay too, especially for studying), and vocals are great as well. Good quality recordings are a must, and I'm not apposed to buying additional recordings of the same symphony if there is an especially good one that I should hear.

I have a SACD player on order, which will hopefully arrive before Christmas, so SACD recommendations are especially appreciated as well.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 32
Nov 23, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 32
The 4 Brahms symphonies are a must. I could go on and on about different composers you should check out, but I say go for those first.

Also, glad to hear you're interested in hearing more Shostakovich. For a great complete symphonies set at a ridiculously low price, go for the Barshai set. It's available for $22 (11 CDs!) at www.broinc.com

Nov 23, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 32
I got a few SACDs, and the following is wonderful: Isaac Stern playing Tchaikovsy Violin Concerto in D Major, and Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E Minor (Sony Classical SS 6062). Available from Best Buy in my town for $16.99. But, this will only play on an SACD machine.

Nov 23, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 32
You would probably like Turandot, cond. Mehta with Sutherland and Pavarotti on London label. I don't think it gets much more dramatic than this very uplifting opera.

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 32
Welcome to the beautiful world of classical music.
To further explore for very basic orchestral collection:

Mozart, Sym 35-41, Piano concerto 16-25, Opera Overtures
Haydn, Sym 80-104 Paris & London sets
Beethoven, Piano Concerto 1-5
Berlioz, Symphony Fantastique
Schubert, Sym 8-9 (or Sym 1-9 Abbado/DG)
Schumann, Sym 1-4 (Gardiner/Arkiv is fabulous)
Brahms, Sym 1-4, Hungarian dances etc
Mendelssohn, Sym 3-5, Midsummer Night etc
Tchaikovsky, Sym 3-5, Piano Concerto 1, 1812 Overture etc.
Tchaikovsky, Nutcracker + Swan Lake + Sleeping Beauty ballets
Prokofiev, Romeo & Juliet Ballet, Sym 1
Bizet, Carmen Suites, Sym in C etc
Stravinsky, Firebird + Petrushka + Rites of Spring ballets
Rachmaninoff, Sym 2, Piano Concerto 1-4
Rossinni - Overtures

To expand your Mahler collection:
Sym 2 Rattle/EMI
Sym 4 Bernstein/DG (since you have Bernstein 1)

I am not a violin fan, so don't collect the violin concertos myself. Also don't limit yourself to SACD since there are very few out and you want best performance, this is much more important.

I would strongly recommend purchasing latest Penguin Classical CD Guide for recommendations of various works.

Let me know if you want recommendations on any work, I usually have several versions of each.

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 32
I just got a new version of Mozart's Requiem it was released Opus111. It's quite different from any take that I have heard plus it includes the True Mozart version at the end. I would also get the Telarc as your reference.

There are better (or at least i like them better) versions of the ones that you already have that you might want to look into.

You should also pick up Richard Wagner - Ring Without Words (Telarc) which is a nice taste of the Ring and it's done as one long piece in a single take!

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 32
To Darkangel's list I would add:

Bruckner Symphony No. 4
Berlioz: Harold in Italy
Stravinsky:Symphony of Psalms
Dvorak: Symphony No. 7
Brahms: Symphony 1-4 (A MUST!!), German Requiem, piano concertos, violin concerto
Bach: St. Matthew Passion, Mass in B minor, Brandenburg Concerti
Handel: Water Music, Music for Royal Fireworks, Messiah
Mendelssohn: Hebrides Overture (All of his symphonies are great), violin concerto
Vivaldi: Seasons, Gloria
Respighi: Pines of Rome, Roman Festivals, Fountains of Rome
Vaughan Williams: Symphonies (All), especially nos. 2 and 5
Sibelius: Symphony No. 2
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis, violin concerto
Mozart: in addition to the symphonies and concerti mentioned, Requiem
Verdi: Requiem
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade
Richard Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel, Don Juan, Also Sprach Zarathrustra

Nov 24, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

There are better (or at least i like them better) versions of the ones that you already have that you might want to look into.

Can you name any specifically? I would like to find some more of the ones I already have for comparison (eventually).

Thanks to everyone so far, especially DarkAngel and dparrish for those lists of Composers and pieces to check out.
smily_headphones1.gif

DarkAngel, I was looking at getting Bernstein for 2 (and also 8). You like Rattle better?
Rattle
Bernstein
Maybe I'll get both?
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, do you like the Sony or the DG recording of Bernstein conducting Mahler's 4th?

For Mahler's symphonies I was also looking at getting:
Boulez for the 7th, Solti for the 8th, and Chailly for the 10th

For Shostakovich symphonies:
2,3 Jarvi
4 Chung
6,10 Litton
11 Jansons
12 Helmerson
13 Haittink
14 Haittink
15 Rostropovich

Any good substitutions you guys can recommend?

Nov 24, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd

For Shostakovich symphonies:
2,3 Jarvi
4 Chung
6,10 Litton
11 Jansons
12 Helmerson
13 Haittink
14 Haittink
15 Rostropovich

Any good substitutions you guys can recommend?

Take a look at the Complete Shostakovich Symphonies on the Brilliant Classics label, conducted by Rudolf Barshai. You can usually find it at Berkshire Record Outlet for a ridiculously low price. However, I just checked and it seems to be out of stock. I would try back often, though--even though the price is low, it's a great set (if you want some additional opinions, check rec.music.classical recordings). I have also seen this set at Tower, although at a higher price than Berkshire.

Another great Brilliant Classics set is the complete Haydn symphonies by Adam Fischer. You can also find it at Berkshire for only $65.37. Again, don't let the low price fool you--this is an excellent set that rivals the Dorati, IMO.

Nov 24, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Can you name any specifically? I would like to find some more of the ones I already have for comparison (eventually).

I just going to go ahead and post some of the best symphonies CDs that I own, and you can pick from there :

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 in D Minor (Chesky)

This is the ultimate version of this symphony, a must have! No other version of the 9th comes close.

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 (Telarc)

This version of the 5th is my all time favorite.

Eiji Oue - Mephisto & Co (Reference Recording)

Lots of fun dark classical pieces, with amazing production values, and it's HDCD as well.

Eiji Oue - Respighi (Reference Recording)

The best Respighi CD I have ever heard, sound quality pushes the limits of how good a CD can sound. It's also is a HDCD.

Goreki: symphony 3 "symphony of sorrowful songs" (Naxos)

Best version and it's the cheapest too! Really sad and dark classical masterpiece.

Liszt – A Faust Symphony (Chandos)

A beautiful and haunting dark symphony by Liszt.

Mozart - Requiem (Telarc) by Pearlman

The best version in performance and sound, the ultimate reference for the Requiem.

Mozart - Requiem (Opus111) by Spering

This CD has two versions of the Requiem a new version by Spering, which is the most unique of any recording ever made and the true mozart requiem that uses ONLY the notes that Mozart wrote himself and autographed. This is only CD that has this version.

Orff – Carmina Burana (Naxos)

Good as any and it's cheap and sounds great too!

Tchaikovsky - 1812 (Telarc 2001)

This is the new version, you may have this version already.

I also have lots of Wagner CDs and lots of non Symphony classical CDs as well.

ALL CDS listed are audiophile quality!

Nov 24, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
DarkAngel, I was looking at getting Bernstein for 2 (and also 8). You like Rattle better?
Rattle
Bernstein
Maybe I'll get both?
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, do you like the Sony or the DG recording of Bernstein conducting Mahler's 4th?

For Mahler's symphonies I was also looking at getting:
Boulez for the 7th, Solti for the 8th, and Chailly for the 10th

Mahler 2nd
Rattle/EMI has been a top pick since it first arrived on the scence in1987. Sound quality is very good as well as performance, the closing could be slightly more exciting/electric but overall hard to argue this is not on the very short list of 2nds.

The newly remastered 1962 Klemperer/EMI "great recordings 20th century" 2nd has been transformed and sounds fabulous, features Eliz.Schwarzkopf. Sold as a single CD it is great bargain and also on the very short list.

Mahler 4th
For Bernstein I prefer DG to older Sony, it is a live recording and is one of the best of the DG set.
Best of Bernstein/DG are 1,4,5,6,7
There are many very good Mahler 4, it is very popular.

Mahler 8
The Solti/Decca "legends" CD is hard to beat, great performance and sound on a single CD at mid price!

Mahler 7
This is a very challenging work, I like Abbado/DG Bernstein/DG and Boulez/DG. Unfortunately the Bernstein is 2 CDs so primary choice must go to Abbado & Boulez for now.
If you want exciting ride Solti/Decca is the way to go.

There are some very fine Mahler recordings by Bernard Haitink but for some reason it is very hard now to find any for sale.

Mahler 3rd
I see you have the Salonen/Sony 3rd which I also own, some critics pan this version but I like it and recording quality is excellent. Even better sound/performance can be had with new Rattle/EMI 3rd, a spectacular recording, the best Mahler CD recording I have heard to date.
The old warhorse Horenstein/Unicorn 3rd is a wonderful performance with a great sustained closing sequence.

Also if you want to save money the Witt + Halasz/Naxos series I have heard is not bad at all with newer recordings which are very good and prices 1/3 of the big labels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back