Here's my final IEM search - as compared to IE8 which gives more...
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MadDog

500+ Head-Fier
I am substantially happy with IE8 but for some unknown reason I feel there must be something better than this...so this would be my last attempt to locate the best of best...(no custom tho - I had sensaphonic before and didn't like it).

with IE8's being my reference model...can anyone tell me if there's such phone below?

1. equal or wider sound stage
2. gives more clarity and naturality in both mid and high
3. not too bright and treble must not be harsh
4. deeper bass with better definition (must be tight and doesn't require much)
5. equal or better instrument separation
6. a little better isolation

tks for your attention.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 12
I own the UM3X and have never tried the IE8, but from countless hours spent reading on head-fi I would guess that the UM3X would meet criteria 2, 3 and 3, 5 and possibly 4. I know from trying the UM3X on my own equipment that criteria 1 and 4 are extremely source dependent. The UM3X doesn't have a reputation for wide sound stage but I feel this is actually a source-related problem. With a proper source the UM3X has a very natural soundstage in my opinion, but with lesser sources it tends to sound very closed.

My iPhone 2g sounded mediocre, the new iPhone 3GS is pretty good, and the line-out on my Xonar STX is pure magic. I feel very lucky to have found a combination that I enjoy as much as that one.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 12
tks, mamba..I was actually looking into um3x..crrently reading about it. I have sony x1061 which is known to provide a wide soundstage so I think I have the right source...since um3x is not a cheap stuff, I must make sure I am doing the right thing here.

I tried both fx500 and c710 but I couldn't accept them b/c of harshness of treble and narrow soundstage. fx500 has the bass I was looking for and c710 has the great clarity but again it's the treble and soundstage.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 12
@dippyboy_87, no not at all...in fact, I like its controlled treble but it's the bass which I found to be lacking definition sometimes (not always but only sometimes)....this was after hearing fx500. dang, I should have never tried that phone! I want everything IE8 + fx500 bass...is there such phone? maybe I am asking too much?

If you find IE8 treble to be fatiguing wait till you hear treble of fx500 and c710...now those are piercing treble.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamba315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My iPhone 2g sounded mediocre, the new iPhone 3GS is pretty good, and the line-out on my Xonar STX is pure magic. I feel very lucky to have found a combination that I enjoy as much as that one.

Isn't the headphone out on the STX better than your other sources?
What amp are you using with the STX line-out? Just curious.

Can you explain a bit more about the STX sound characteristics as i'm really eager on this one.

Sorry if it seems like i'm hijacking the thread.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Did you experiment with the I8-tips? I find different tips give different sound signatures.
My favorites are the Sony hybrid-tips, of course YMMV.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 12
You are not alone MADDOG,I wish the fx500 bass and instrument natural sound combines with everything in the ie8 and this will be the perfect phone for me
wink_face.gif
I agree that the fx500 treble is sometimes piercing and it is the exact opposite of that of he ie8(which I like better),but that bass....oh my GOD....
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am substantially happy with IE8 but for some unknown reason I feel there must be something better than this...so this would be my last attempt to locate the best of best...(no custom tho - I had sensaphonic before and didn't like it).

with IE8's being my reference model...can anyone tell me if there's such phone below?

1. equal or wider sound stage
2. gives more clarity and naturality in both mid and high
3. not too bright and treble must not be harsh
4. deeper bass with better definition (must be tight and doesn't require much)
5. equal or better instrument separation
6. a little better isolation

tks for your attention.

and i want a car that goes 300 mph gets 80 mpg can climb mountains oh and fly.

nothing has all the things you want, the generalist um3x is possibly the closest compromise to what you want

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Perhaps if you're patient enough haha you can wait and see whether or not a re-cable to the IE8s can improve them to your ideal requirements.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 12
um3x certainly won't be your choice, you will be hungry for more bass in the end.

I would say u could consider the ath ck100, although bass not as great, it has more clarity compared to ie8.

But then ie8 is one of the top iems out there. It has a very smooth sounding signature which i think that no universal out there beats it.

Customs might be the only way for the sound signature you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back