-24-bit audio
-DAC capability
-Dolby Headphone (for the gamer in us)

..All in one?
and if not, why the hell not.

Signed,
Concerned man that doesn't want to buy 5 products to get such functionality. x]

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 12
You can get something that has an Amp, DAC, and 24bit audio all in one. 3/5 is not too bad.

I personally haven't seen any consumer audio devices on these forums with either a hardware equalizer or dolby sound. You might want to look at some high-end audio receivers which may have what you are looking for.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
You can get something that has an Amp, DAC, and 24bit audio all in one. 3/5 is not too bad.

I personally haven't seen any consumer audio devices on these forums with either a hardware equalizer or dolby sound. You might want to look at some high-end audio receivers which may have what you are looking for.

Well I could understand not having Dolby Headphone, but why not an EQ? would seem like a nice feature to be had on an amp/dac.

Also what amps were you referring that meet 3/5 of those features?

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Well I could understand not having Dolby Headphone, but why not an EQ? would seem like a nice feature to be had on an amp/dac.

Also what amps were you referring that meet 3/5 of those features?

Well, any DAC with a headphone out has some sort of amp built in. And for 24bit audio it depends on the device. I would say when you get up into the $200-300 range of DACs most will have 24bit via spdif, and some will have it through USB.

Just looking around over at the Dedicated Source Components section gave me these results:

Nuforce uDac 2
Most Audio gd DAC/Amp combos, NFB12, NFB10, FUN
Audinst HUD-MX1

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Are there any such products that include a(n):

-Amplifier
-Hardware Equalizer
-24-bit audio
-DAC capability
-Dolby Headphone (for the gamer in us)

..All in one?
and if not, why the hell not.

Signed,
Concerned man that doesn't want to buy 5 products to get such functionality. x]

Dolby Headphones?  That doesn't make sense.  I think Dolby, THX, etc.. are for movies, games etc...(5.1 etc...) That should be on the software/processor side.  I think what u are looking for is a Home theater receiver.  

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Dolby Headphones?  That doesn't make sense.  I think Dolby, THX, etc.. are for movies, games etc...(5.1 etc...) That should be on the software/processor side.  I think what u are looking for is a Home theater receiver.  

Are you saying that I can have dolby headphone without needing extra equipment as it can be fulfilled software-side, which would render something like the Astro Mixamp useless?

DH was a long stretch, but is there any AMP/DAC combo with a built-in EQ?

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 12

Hardware EQ is on the analog side.  U are better off buying a sep. EQ.  That give u the Option to bypass the EQ when u want dont need it.  Digital EQ doesn't work for u?  For gaming, U need a sound card that can process 5.1 sounds, not a DAC.  if u are playing games through the PS3, just play with the audio settings. 
Quote:
Are you saying that I can have dolby headphone without needing extra equipment as it can be fulfilled software-side, which would render something like the Astro Mixamp useless?

DH was a long stretch, but is there any AMP/DAC combo with a built-in EQ?

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Hardware EQ is on the analog side.  U are better off buying a sep. EQ.  That give u the Option to bypass the EQ when u want dont need it.  Digital EQ doesn't work for u?  For gaming, U need a sound card that can process 5.1 sounds, not a DAC.  if u are playing games through the PS3, just play with the audio settings. 

Well I'm sure if an amp/dac had an EQ feature, there would be an option to set it to flat, or turn it off? same result as bypassing a hardware EQ when you don't want it.
Digital EQ would work, but that's only in certain media players, the EQ doesn't stay consistent within all applications.

The 5.1 soundcard solution would give the same results as DH? if thats the case then I would still like to have a DAC feature in the amp for laptop use, but with other ports to accept input from the soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back