Here is how to clean comply tips...
Jun 13, 2008 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

nycrob515

Head-Fier
Boil water, put the tips on the prongs of a fork, and put the fork along with the tips in the water for a little bit. Take them out after about 40 seconds and squeeze them with a napkin. It took me like 3 times and they came out really good. I also took pics but they were to big to post here. Sticky anyone????

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 42
I did that on 2 occasions (not boiling water), and they 1. swelled, and 2. lost some flexibility. I've "ruined" 2 pairs of complies this way. I thought it was residual moisture, but a week in a box of silica gel didn't help.

Maybe you just got lucky, but it's suggestable to continually buy and replace all foam tips for optimal performance.

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 42
Yes forgot to ask, with your boiling water method, did it retain it's original flexibility? I'm sure it mildly changed color, but it would be too awesome if they came out fresh after the wash down.

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 42
How about just microwaving the tips
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about just microwaving the tips
cool.gif

I've melted the plastic this way (at 30 seconds on high), and the discoloration still remained
frown.gif
Maybe somebody could try it on low.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 42
Here's what I did the other day with my UM2 Compys...I used a small wooden stick (broken off a cooking skewer, toothpick might work too) to hold the tip over the sink while pouring a little hydrogen peroxide over it. Rub a little with your fingertip but don't compress the foam. Rinse with water, again being careful not to squeeze. This process cleans wax and dirt off the surface without getting peroxide or water into the foam cells, which will probably help make em last longer.

My ears produce little wax, and there was only a little build up on mine so if your ears are miniature waxworks this might not work as well...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #12 of 42
Hey...microwaves work by vibrating the hell out of water or any moisture involved....heating anything does this too but by boiling water you only heat to an extent..ya know what im sayin? DanosauRas that was going to be my next 'experiment'....Assorted- they came out pretty damn fresh no lie.. i would have pics up but don't know how to compress jpg's for head-fi..ya ever microwave non microwavable plastic containers- well that what its prob. made of. you wouldnt be able to tell which ones were new if i held them side by side no lie i took them out and squeezed between a napkin a couple of times..if yas post your emails i can send ya pics of what i did.......

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 42
sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but any progress on this? Also nycrob515 if you still have those pics try posting them on tinypic.com , its great for hosting pics for forums (will scale them for you).

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 42
Ooooh nice necro. I needs to know as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back