Here I go again: Thinksound Thunder, Rain, and Maximo iM590
Jan 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Napilopez

1000+ Head-Fier
So I'm approaching the time to buy my first hifi IEM purchase finally, and I've totally shifted gears from the RE0s and Klipsch S4 being my top choices to these 3 contenders that are not only cheaper, but also less polarizing in sound quality, apparently. I listen to pretty much everything, so I need something that will sound good on a variety of music types. The RE0s seemed to be too lacking in bass quantity for my needs, while the S4s could be sibilant and possibly too bass-boomy.

From what I can tell online, the Thinksounds and the Maximo look nicer than the former two, and seem to be closer to the sound I'm looking for. Is the treble roll-off in the thunders too bad? Is the bass on the Rains good enough for electronic music? How does the iM590 compare to the former two and the S4? The thinksounds especially are pretty new, any thoughts?

Joker seems to prefer the Thunder to the S4, which given their cheaper price and my treehugging-ness, makes them a much more attractive option, but this is but one opinion. The rain seems to have a more neutral color, but some say the bass is lacking. I would really just like some amount of impact, not for the bass to shine above the rest of the music. Basically, I want it to be there when it needs to be.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmm thanks! It's encouraging to hear these wouldn't totally die in those genres lol. I guess I'm most concerned on how the Rains sound compared to the iM590 and the S4, whether they would be worth purchasing over those 2. I'd like something with a natural timbre, which it seem the Rain is most likely to give me. The iM590 seems more neutral though, so bleh this choice process lol.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 7
If you listen to a variety of music, not just electronic, and you are looking for a more relaxed presentation with full liquid mids, Rain is the way to go.
I think iM590 would be more energetic phone for hard hitting styles.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Is there any way you can order these from a source with a 30-day return policy? Then, you can buy a few different pairs and let them all burn in and try them. Take a few days and then return the ones you don't like.

That's really the only way to answer your questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back