here fishy fishy...
Sep 20, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #16 of 47
lol Alex

yeah, well I wish I could have a bigger aquarium, but if you multiply the # of gallons by 8.25lbs per gallon, you end up with a heavy MOFO if your tank is big enough.

My bedroom tank (see above) is only 20g, but I have an empty 60g on my patio. That thing would weigh a good 500+lbs with water, substrate (sand), and the stand. My landlord said "no way."
rolleyes.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcdenton
If your fish are always swimming near the surface of the water it means the water is not oxygenated enough. They are gasping for air.

Either increase surface area of the water or add an areator. The areator doesn't actually oxygenate the water it is the bubbles breaking on the surface that does it.

Basically the more exicted the water gets the better the oxygenation
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the information. Actually it was an inside joke. The reason the fish were at the top was usually because they were dead or dying. I think it had something to do with the fact that they (my kids) were too young to have an aquarium in their room at the time.

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Thanks for the information. Actually it was an inside joke. The reason the fish were at the top was usually because they were dead or dying. I think it had something to do with the fact that they were too young to have an aquarium in their room at the time.

Whoopsie *smacks side of head*
etysmile.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #19 of 47
jcdenton

welcome to Headfi! Thanks for your well-intended post
smily_headphones1.gif

so are you from reefscape, AC, pfish.net....?

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
jcdenton

welcome to Headfi! Thanks for your well-intended post
smily_headphones1.gif

so are you from reefscape, AC, pfish.net....?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope...my girlfriend taught me about freshwater fish care.

She would be a member of such websites
smily_headphones1.gif

I do plan to join them once my dream of a marine tank is possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone got marine tanks? Pics please
k1000smile.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #21 of 47
Nice tank, Joey.

How old is that setup? It is indeed very clean.

I'm going to setup a small reef aquarium after I've been settled in the condo.

I can't wait.
No more landlords to tell me what I can and can't do.

Well, there is that pesky HOA, but the rules are far more lax than landlords.
-Ed

Sep 20, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #22 of 47
A very long time ago I had a couple aquariums. A twenty and thirty gallon then a 55 gallon. I had red tiger Oscars, some big cat fish that was over 10 inches long, in fact I had a couple different cats that were huge. Then I got an arrowana (sp?). That thing got huge! The last I saw it after I sold it to the pet store, it was in a 2 or 300 gallon tank and was over 20 inches long. They fed it baby mice
eek.gif

The Oscars got to be about 9 or 10 inches before I sold the whole set up. They were like dogs. When I would walk up to the tank, they would dance around and splash water all over.
icon10.gif
I had to put weights on the lid to keep them from jumping out of the tank.

I would love to have a salt water set up. Maybe someday.

Sep 20, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #23 of 47
thanks guys

re: the cleanliness of the tank, part of the key is having 3 types of bottom feeders: the Rams, the shrimp, and the plecco.

Also, this tank gets most of its light from indirect natural daylight. I only have the tank light on 1-4 hours a day, at absolute most, at nighttime when I want to watch them. There is no algal growth b/c there is insuffient light and nutrients for the damn stuff to grow.
biggrin.gif
and I want to keep it that way!!

also, the tank has been nice and stable since April, but I think i started it up in March...can't quite remember...doh!

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #24 of 47
where are the vegetations ?
if i had a tank, i would put lots of water plants in it so that the fish can go play hide and seek...
biggrin.gif

i like to have lots of hideouts and heavy vegetations so that its harder to see the fish... i find it more fun that way...
your fish will be happier with some plants too.

something like these:

ProfessionalAquarium.jpg

tkally3.jpg

tkallyson.jpg

(took them from tropicaltank.com.uk or something)

with that kind of tank, i seriously can sit there and watch the fish in the aquarium for hours.

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:52 AM Post #25 of 47
The title thread reminds me of the phrase "Jigga... who?"
biggrin.gif

Anyhoo... my bro in law's Nemo tank: (the frenchy crab thingy is just behind the coral, you can just make out it's 'feelers' thingy in the center of the 1st image, forgive my eloquent language
rolleyes.gif
)

fish.jpg

fishyfishy.jpg

I don't mind watching but to actually keep, I don't think I have the patience & diligence. It looks like so much hard work & nothing like the gold fish bowl of yore.

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #26 of 47
saltwater fish are hard to maintain... and they are hell expensive...

anyway, is it just me or do you think that freshwater/tropical fish has more characteristics than saltwater fish ?
eg. freshwater ones are more active and playful.

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #27 of 47
Here are three pics from my pond on the side of my house. I took the pics just now so I can't really get a good lighting spec being mourning and all. plus the water is pretty cold so the fish arent in to much of a photo mood. I will take some more later this week when I have a day off and can take the mid evening pics....thats when the fish wanna eat.

I have 3 or 4 big kio's (atleast 2 feet long)
a bunch of 6-7 goldfish
two turltes, one hates everything and the other loves everybody.
two sunfish, probably 7 inchs long.
a bunch of 3-4 inch minnows..
I think there is more but I will have to ask my dad, its his hobby so

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/IM001615.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/IM001598.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/IM001592.jpg

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #28 of 47
geat pics guys, thanks for posting

I would love a saltwater tank, but honestly I don't have the time, money, space, or patience to run such a tank right now. Salt water tanks take so much effort that you have to be extremely serious about them. For info, www.aquariacentral.com is a "headfi" for aquariums.

I actually DO have a freshwater planted tank in my other room, and will be replacing my DIY CO2 injection with a pressurized system this week. Once it is up and running, I'll post some pics
biggrin.gif
Let's just hope my amano shrimp will cooporate, seeing how they are often hard to find.

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #29 of 47
Sep 20, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
Sure, this is a pointless thread, but I told a few headfiers that I'd post some pics of one of my aquariums, so here they are
biggrin.gif

The whole tank: 2 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Bolivian Rams, 2 Flower/Bamboo Shrimp, 1 Plecco
alltank.JPG

2 Rams face off
faceoff.JPG

1 Ram, 1 Shrimp
ram-shrimp.JPG

not a great pic of one of my Flower Shrimp--you can't see the "flowers," i.e. his front claws, whch are actually fans used to collect particles in the water
flowershrimp.JPG

I'm terrible capturing decent pics of my fish...they just won't stay still. My other camera could do it, but it's not digital. sigh.
tongue.gif

Thanks for looking

That's a cool set up wish I had the time and patience to set up an aquarium. My cousin currently has a custom built 200 gallon tank but the only two fishes he has in the the tank are a Silver Arowana and a Australian Jardini Arowana both of them measuring in at about 18 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back