Herbie's Grungebuster Mat getting stuck in 963SA
Oct 13, 2003 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bdb55

100+ Head-Fier
Three or four times now I've had a CD get stuck in my Philips DVD963SA with the grungebuster mat still attached. I have to take off the lid of the player (which takes a while) to get the CD out. The CDs have always slid just a few inches back in the tray - the player reads "no disk." The mat is always still attached when I get the CD out. What do you think is the problem? Anything to do?

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Does this problem occur on a particular cd?

Nope - I've had it happen on several different CDs.

I got this mat before they were made with the green disk in the center - I wonder if that helps the player release the CD...

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 19
I have had this happen too. It also gets stuck in my Bravo DVD player. In my case, it mainly gets jammed when its not clean enough to really stick to the CD and gets loose on start up. You can clean it by running it under a water faucet. If there is grease or oil on the surface use a little soap or detergent to clean.

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 19
I thought that not being clean enough was the problem at first... I cleaned it w/soap and water two or three days ago and it jammed on the next CD I listened to! Also, every time I have to open up the player and fish the CD out, the mat is still attatched firmly... doesn't seem like having it come loose is the problem. If I had to guess, it seems like the mat makes the CD hang on to the release mechanism for a bit too long, making it drop into the back part of the tray and jam (it's always in the back of the tray when it gets stuck).

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 19
On the newer GB's (I have one that's about 3 weeks old) the green ring is definitely made of a plastic material that seems slippery. It seems like it may have been made that way so it can release easier and cleaner from the player. Maybe yours is just worn out in the center. I think it has a lifetime warranty from Herbie's. Bet if you send it back they'll just replace it.

Oct 14, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 19
I have had a few problems of the grungebuster sticking in some players but usually it was evident at the outset that the machine would not read the disc. The problem appeared to be that there wasn't enough clearance to allow the grungebuster in and the disc would stick. I have never had it just jam though and could always get it out . After re-adjusting and making sure ithe grungebuster was stuck down it played ok.

For one machine, I trimmed the edges of the grungebuster to make it a bit smaller and that seemed to stop the jamming.

Mostly though the grungebusters, and I have 3, have worked fine on all my cd/dvd players, including portables. And the sound and picture quality are markedly improved.

Of course my main player is a top loading CEC. You could put a pizza on the cd and it would still play.

Oct 15, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 19
This shouldn't come as a surprise folks. Sticking foreign objects into your CD drive is never a good idea. If you still insist because you think there is a benefit, try the ol' green pen around the edge trick instead.

Oct 15, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by bdb55
Three or four times now I've had a CD get stuck in my Philips DVD963SA with the grungebuster mat still attached. I have to take off the lid of the player (which takes a while) to get the CD out. The CDs have always slid just a few inches back in the tray - the player reads "no disk." The mat is always still attached when I get the CD out. What do you think is the problem? Anything to do?

This could be a stupid question, but do you have the grungebuster version for drawer players? There are three different versions of the grungebuster mat. The right one for the Philips should have a green ring in the center, which is on top when laying down the mat.

Oct 15, 2003 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 19
My CDs with Grungebuster mat on them usually get stuck in my Audio Note CD3.1x (Sony front loader) when I open the tray to get the CD out again. The tray starts moving somewhat abruptly. That might be the reason.

The sound: not an improvement, unfortunately. With the Grungebuster mat on CDs, there is less air in the recording, less microdynamic resolution, less immediacy and transparency and and a somewhat bloated bass. I suspect any mat that one places on his CDs changes the resonance behaviour of the CD and adds a new resonance component. I have had a similar experience with the green SID - Sound Improvement Disc. It proved to be always detrimental.

The only tweak I'm really convinced of is demagnetizing. I use a Furutech RD1 demagnetizer.

Oct 15, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Hey, get me a Wadia and I promise to stop it! This thing works for me.

No you wouldn't. You would just stick it into the Wadia too
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back